“Not acceptable”

Ranked #45 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Not acceptable”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My partner and I decided to book the Met for a one night stay to give us a much needed evening of relaxation and more importantly a good nights sleep, unfortunately we had neither. On arrival it was evident that there was a couple of functions going on that evening which didn't bother us as we didn't think it would affect us. First impressions were great and the room was ok. We went out for a pleasant meal and returned to the hotel early, about 9.30pm. Once back, a function was in 'full swing' and there was very loud music. Our room was on the 1st floor, and as it turns out directly above the function room. The level of noise was horrendous, we tried to ignore it and try get to sleep, it was impossible, so after nearly 2 hours I couldn't bear it any longer and phoned down to reception to be moved. We were given a room on the 6th floor, so we had to get dressed again and pack all our stuff up and trek up to the 6th floor. This room was much better. My complaint is about reception really as I cannot understand why a) we were not told at check in there was a function on which would go on till x time that night and b) why a couple not associated with the function would be placed in a room just one floor up let alone the room above the function room? Really not good enough, the whole night was stressful, unsettling and upsetting. Certainly not relaxing or pleasant. Although we were given a new room during the night we were not given anything in way of an apology, a complimentary breakfast would have been nice! We will not be staying here again and I will not recommend it. Disappointing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Your review is very much appreciated so thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay. It is through this feedback we can improve on our standards and the level of service we provide.

I am very sorry for the disruptions you faced during your stay with us. I am pleased you were offered a room move during the function but you are indeed correct in saying the room shouldn’t have been allocated close to the function room in the first place. I will ensure these comments are passed on to the relevant departments.

If you would like to provide us with further information about your stay please contact our Guest Relations Officer at daniel.harvey@principal-hayley.com and he will be more than happy to help.

Simone Sansom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Penarth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Beautiful Grade II listed building. Reception very contemporary with leanings toward traditional with open fire. Staff efficient and pleasant. Rooms on 2nd floor was too cool and no amount of radiator twiddling could increase the heat. Restaurant was not full,yet service was incredibly slow. I was informed that a large evening function was being catered for - I don't care, I too want to be catered for - get more staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this review, November 3, 2012

I really admire your honest review with regards to the slow service you received during your meal. You are very much correct when saying guests dining outside of a function should be given the exact same attention. I would like to apologise for this and will ensure steps are taken in future to prevent any of our future guests facing the same issue.

Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

We managed to get a deal £100 for two nights including breakfast so we were a bit sceptical, however no need to be.
On arrival the receptionist was very friendly and although we arrived at 1 pm she allowed us to check in. She was very helpful and the parking although a little expensive( ten pounds for 24 hours) was right next to the hotel.
Excellent location for the city centre and as we had not been before again reception very helpful.
My only downfall was the room despite being very clean the room was smaller than expected for a four star hotel and the bed was tiny looked like a single.
The breakfast buffet was excellent and a very wide choice which set you up for the day. Overall a very good experience and will definitely stay there again whenever we are in Leeds. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed October 2012

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at The Met, Leeds. Thank you for taking advantage of our ideal location.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Located in a stunning rich red buliding, the hotel at reception holds so much promise but in reality the fraying of the edges lets it down somewhat. Once beyond the chandalier of the reception and the smiles of the helpful and pleasant staff, the hotel is disappointing.
First room was so small there was no where to place a bag other than the bed, and the bathroom had such poor drainage that it was necessary to stop brushing teeth after a few moments as the water would not drain out of the small wash-hand basin. The fittings of this room were tired and not overly welcoming. Initial comlaints and a review of the drainage by staff resulted in an apology that the problem was that the water did not drain quickly from some bathrooms.
Later that evening a move to a different room revealled a different situation altogether. A large light and airy room, with a bathroom larger than the inital room had been, was superb in everyway. with excellent fittings, comfortable bedding and seating. So different to the initial one.
Food and beverages are quite average and whilst the attempt is made to offer a more upmarket product the result was of an average product which was being labelled as upmarket.
For a night stay it's OK, and staff are very friendly, but for a longer stay I would suggest there could be better options.
At the end of the day it's a traditional British hotel which has been improved in parts but like so many traditional British hotels offers so much and only just about delivers.

Room Tip: Every room is different - check out the size beforehand - Corner rooms seem to be the best and most...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

I would like to apologise for the issues you faced upon arrival of the hotel, I am however very pleased this was resolved for you and you continued to enjoy the rest of your stay.

Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Just returned from a weekend stay for a family wedding,
The chefs took great care of my special dietary needs,and prepared a lovely meal for me,(to the envy of many of the other wedding guests!)

One thing which could have been better was the room. It was very hot, with no way of opening the window, as the sash cord was broken, and air-conditioning was very noisy. We had no way of turning it off, and as a consequence, we did not get a good night's sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank hellebore49
Your review is very much appreciated so thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay. It is through this feedback we can improve on our standards and the level or service we provide.

I am very pleased to have read your positive comments about the family wedding you attended. I have reported the issues with the window in room 117 and will arrange for this to be resolved by our maintenance team.

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night, arriving on a Sunday night. The receptionist was pleasant and helpful and my room, a single, was perfectly comfortable, spacious and clean. I was worried, given previous comments on this site, but the hotel I think has had a recent make over (I could smell fresh paint in the corridors) and I was pleasantly surprised.
I slept well and was not disturbed by any noise (this could be due to the fact it was a Sunday night and my room overlooked an internal courtyard),
I was presenting a training course the next day, also at the hotel, and the staff and facilities were very good (a very important consideration for me).
The only constructive criticism I would made is concerning the food. Do not have high expectations: you pay for what you get. The dinner I had (a burger) and the breakfast were ok, but nothing to write home about. Again, the lunch put on for the conference was pretty basic.
However, the bar and restaurant themselves were really nicely furnished and, again, the staff were very good.
All in all, a perfectly good place to stay for a business event.

Room Tip: choose one that does not look out on to the main street
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

I’m happy overall you enjoyed your stay with us, although I am saddened to have read we did not meet your expectations during your meal. I will ensure the head chef is made aware of this situation to prevent any further disappointments with our future guests.

kent
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Very close to Leeds central station , any one reasonably fit can easily wheel a suitcase to the hotel in a little over 5 mins. ....We had an 2cd. floor , end of corridor room looking out over King st. ....It was spacious , clean , and well equipped , but a little dated ....The hotel was very busy on Saturday with a wedding party and an old time music hall night , we found that it was quiet inside after 11.30 though , and there was less traffic noise from outside than anticipated ....Sunday breakfast was buffet style, very good hot and cold , and plentiful , even though busy.... Sunday night was very quiet as most guests seem to have left .....Monday morning cooked breakfast was taken by order and served at the table , this was unfortunately not as good as the buffet , also they had run out of the freshly sqeezed orange juice ....The room heating was adequate ....Strangely the room safe was in a cupboard , and literally on the floor , so you had to get down on your knees to use it ....Also the tv screen was small for the size of the room .... The bar prices seemed steep at £8.20 for a small latte , and a 330ml. Peroni ....We had a fairly good stay all round ....Tip if arriving by train , turn left before going out the main exit , walk down an arcade (Wellington st., above) , and it cuts the corner off .....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this review, October 24, 2012

I am pleased you found our location to be convenient for your visit to Leeds. I am pleased you enjoyed the buffet breakfast on Sunday but I do apologise this didn’t mirror the breakfast you had on Monday. We choose to do a plated breakfast on a Monday due to the volume of guests in house; this should still be the same standard so I will assure you this will be passed on to the head chef to investigate.

Adding to your response; we are currently awaiting the replacement of the televisions for flat screens which will be a vast improvement to the current ones.