“Cheap, Cheerful and great location”

Discovery Inn Leeds
Ranked #36 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed here for a girls night out in November. This hotel is in a perfect location for the station, shops, bars and restaurants. It was clean, comfortable, no frills but excellent value for money. The guy on reception was extremely helpful and friendly gave us some great hints and tips on where and where not to go! He was right too. The rooms where a little too hot for my liking so I just turned the heater down before I went out. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Very handy for the train station, Cockpit, shopping and various restaurants and bars.

Specious rooms, gigantic bathroom, comfy beds and good heating. Friendly staff on reception. A bargain at 35 quid a night.

The only downside is forking out a tenner deposit for the television remote.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The hotel is central and close to the station. That is the plus point. It was an odd hotel in the fact that you have to go to the 3rd floor to reception. Once I checked in I made my way to the room and was immediately surprised by it. It looked nothing like the pics online. It was small, bit grubby and very dry. I checked out the bathroom and saw it just had a shower and a broken set of taps on the sink. This meant I couldnt use the sink plug to get washed or shaved. Whilst looking for a socket I noticed something under the bed. I looked and saw it was wrappers and bottles from a previous resident. Surely they could have cleaned the room properly couldn't they ? And, as mentioned on other reviews, I was greeted by a note on the TV saying that "remote is available from reception for a £10 deposit." Certainly WILL NOT be staying here again. For the price you can get much better in Leeds.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I needed somewhere near the train station and it was £30 for the night which is cheap. But even £30 for too much for what I got.
I arrived 10pm on a snowy Sunday night (if just one of those 3 things wasn't the case I would have turned around and found somewhere else). First you have to go to the 3rd floor to reception, it's like arriving at some kind of detention centre. Then I had to go up to 5, get off the lift, and walk up to 6. My room (631) was COLD and shabby. The secondary double glazing was open at the bottom, and I couldn't get it to shut. I rang reception and someone came up and jiggled it about a bit, til he got it to close - "don't touch it" he said. The curtains felt dusty, you know, that smooth dusty feeling.
No remote control for the TV but a terse note advising you that you could go back down to reception for one, for a £10 deposit.
There was no duvet, just a sheet and a thin blanket. There was another thin blanket in the wardrobe. I tried with both of them til midnight when I had to ring down for two more blankets ("you want two??" he said, as if it wasn't early January in northern Europe), but he did bring them up quickly. The pillows were the thinnest I have ever seen. The bedding DID smell clean, although the bedspread was not clean, I took it off rather than sleep under it. There was a mattress protector under the flat sheet, and a weird rustling zip-up protector under that. I am 5'5" and the bed was too short for me. It was very cold all night.
There was thick dust on the wall light fittings. One window had two large cracks in it with old yellowed sellotape covering the cracks; the sellotape was so old it had mould under it. The window nets were not clean. No safety chain on the door. I decided not to look closely at the carpet (which looked old), and just kept my shoes on until I got in bed.
The room was at the back and there was the constant noise of some kind of generator or something; I wear foam earplugs otherwise I wouldn't have slept through its very loud and constant hum.
The towels and the bathroom were clean. However, the radiator in the bathroom, despite being on at no.5, its highest number, was COLD and there was no double glazing in the bathroom. It was COLD. No soap, only half-full handwash. Shower was terrible, water pressure not-existent.
Breakfast (not included) was, predictably, OK but not inspiring. The lad on duty didn't say a word, even when another guest said "this bread is very stale". He just stared at her til she said "oh well" and put it in the toaster. The croissants and breadcakes looked like someone had sat on them. The branflakes also tasted stale. The coffee was OK. The room was cold.
The whole place needs decorating, with new beds and pillows, and a deep clean. THEN it will be worth £30-40 a night.
My advice is: avoid like the plague.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SAMANTHA H
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Very handy for the town centre and railway station. The room was quite large with a good sized bathroom, but you do get quite a lot of noise from the external streets.

I paid just over £40 for room only - there was a £10 deposit required for a remote control for the TV, which was a bit odd.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 16, 2012

The double room and ensuite were what i expected for the price,the room was clean and functional. We had to pay a £10 deposit for the remote control to be able to use the TV which was a little odd as i cannot imagine many people trying to run away with a tv!. As we were staying on a Friday night and at the front of the hotel we were kept awake until 4pm with people going home from pubs and clubs so we did not have a restful stay. Im afraid we won't be staying here again as i would rather pay a little more for a peaceful nights sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid a room at the front of the hotel during a weeknd
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I'm not sure how they do it but £35 per night for a double room in a city centre hotel is remarkable. Remarkable when you consider the rooms are warm, clean and spacious. The staff we encountered were friendly and accommodating.

Many thanks