“One Discovery I wish I hadn't found”

Discovery Inn Leeds
Ranked #39 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The hotel is central and close to the station. That is the plus point. It was an odd hotel in the fact that you have to go to the 3rd floor to reception. Once I checked in I made my way to the room and was immediately surprised by it. It looked nothing like the pics online. It was small, bit grubby and very dry. I checked out the bathroom and saw it just had a shower and a broken set of taps on the sink. This meant I couldnt use the sink plug to get washed or shaved. Whilst looking for a socket I noticed something under the bed. I looked and saw it was wrappers and bottles from a previous resident. Surely they could have cleaned the room properly couldn't they ? And, as mentioned on other reviews, I was greeted by a note on the TV saying that "remote is available from reception for a £10 deposit." Certainly WILL NOT be staying here again. For the price you can get much better in Leeds.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Discovery Inn Leeds

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I needed somewhere near the train station and it was £30 for the night which is cheap. But even £30 for too much for what I got.
I arrived 10pm on a snowy Sunday night (if just one of those 3 things wasn't the case I would have turned around and found somewhere else). First you have to go to the 3rd floor to reception, it's like arriving at some kind of detention centre. Then I had to go up to 5, get off the lift, and walk up to 6. My room (631) was COLD and shabby. The secondary double glazing was open at the bottom, and I couldn't get it to shut. I rang reception and someone came up and jiggled it about a bit, til he got it to close - "don't touch it" he said. The curtains felt dusty, you know, that smooth dusty feeling.
No remote control for the TV but a terse note advising you that you could go back down to reception for one, for a £10 deposit.
There was no duvet, just a sheet and a thin blanket. There was another thin blanket in the wardrobe. I tried with both of them til midnight when I had to ring down for two more blankets ("you want two??" he said, as if it wasn't early January in northern Europe), but he did bring them up quickly. The pillows were the thinnest I have ever seen. The bedding DID smell clean, although the bedspread was not clean, I took it off rather than sleep under it. There was a mattress protector under the flat sheet, and a weird rustling zip-up protector under that. I am 5'5" and the bed was too short for me. It was very cold all night.
There was thick dust on the wall light fittings. One window had two large cracks in it with old yellowed sellotape covering the cracks; the sellotape was so old it had mould under it. The window nets were not clean. No safety chain on the door. I decided not to look closely at the carpet (which looked old), and just kept my shoes on until I got in bed.
The room was at the back and there was the constant noise of some kind of generator or something; I wear foam earplugs otherwise I wouldn't have slept through its very loud and constant hum.
The towels and the bathroom were clean. However, the radiator in the bathroom, despite being on at no.5, its highest number, was COLD and there was no double glazing in the bathroom. It was COLD. No soap, only half-full handwash. Shower was terrible, water pressure not-existent.
Breakfast (not included) was, predictably, OK but not inspiring. The lad on duty didn't say a word, even when another guest said "this bread is very stale". He just stared at her til she said "oh well" and put it in the toaster. The croissants and breadcakes looked like someone had sat on them. The branflakes also tasted stale. The coffee was OK. The room was cold.
The whole place needs decorating, with new beds and pillows, and a deep clean. THEN it will be worth £30-40 a night.
My advice is: avoid like the plague.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SAMANTHA H
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Very handy for the town centre and railway station. The room was quite large with a good sized bathroom, but you do get quite a lot of noise from the external streets.

I paid just over £40 for room only - there was a £10 deposit required for a remote control for the TV, which was a bit odd.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 16, 2012

The double room and ensuite were what i expected for the price,the room was clean and functional. We had to pay a £10 deposit for the remote control to be able to use the TV which was a little odd as i cannot imagine many people trying to run away with a tv!. As we were staying on a Friday night and at the front of the hotel we were kept awake until 4pm with people going home from pubs and clubs so we did not have a restful stay. Im afraid we won't be staying here again as i would rather pay a little more for a peaceful nights sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid a room at the front of the hotel during a weeknd
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I'm not sure how they do it but £35 per night for a double room in a city centre hotel is remarkable. Remarkable when you consider the rooms are warm, clean and spacious. The staff we encountered were friendly and accommodating.

Many thanks

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I was on a training course (Tuesday night) at the Novatel but didn't want to pay Novatel prices for a bed. The Discovery Inn is opposite the station and as I came in by train it was perfect. At £50 for a double room in central Leeds it was great value. There were all the services in the room I'd expect. The hair-dryer was broken and the radiator in the bathroom wasn't working but these are easily fixed and I did report them on departure. I can't comment on the breakfast as I had this at the Novatel. I LIKED: Location, price, comfy bed, huge bathroom (room 709), great shower, coffee and tea facilities, fairly quiet, lots of places to eat within minutes. I DIDN'T LIKE: hair dryer broken, bathroom radiator not working, TV in window bay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2012

All I can say is thank god it wasn't called the Comfort Inn as I would have they banged to the trade descriptions act! OK so redeeming features 1) excellent town centre location and very near the main car park and train station 2) clean public areas and good housekeeping staff and clean sheets and towels.END. Appaling customer services, when we arrived after 6 hrs driving at 9 pm we duly headed up to the reception on the third floor ( at this point I imagine borstal would have looked more welcoming) we asked the duty reception what he needed from us I.e booking number and his answer was 'just your cash' clearly people do a bunk quite a bit from here...tempting. Moving on we get to our spacious damp room with a concrete mattress and only 1 thin pillow and my patience is frayed, it smells of fags and vomit and the shower curtain had an aroma all of its own. There was no heating and you need £10 for the TV remote!!! Says it all. We have usually stayed at the higher end of the price market but this was an unplanned trip so couldn't get in, I will NEVER stay in this company's accommodation again as its so poor. Today I wake with a chest cough as its so damp and dank....rotten experience but Leeds is awesome..

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple