“Avoid at all costs” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
England, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Where do I begin with this review?
The only thing going for this hotel is the close proximity to the train station. I booked this hotel for me and my girlfriend, for a one night mid-week stay. I thought at £40 the room was a bargain but I soon realised you get what you pay for. The staff are the first complaint, the lady on reception when we first arrived was polite and even let us check into our "room" early, when we eventually found the reception that is. The second task we faced was to find our room, which is only found through a maze of corridors and lifts, not really signposted in any clear format. When we finally got to our room (room 1003) we were absolutely appalled at what we were expected to "relax" in. The bed was full of black hairs, covered in a scraggy blanket full of holes and a thin sheet that had no chance of keeping you warm. The mattress was hard enough to break your back if you didn't lay down carefully. The one window in the room was so high and so small that I had to physically pick my girlfriend up for her to be able to see out of it. The toilet seat fell off when I attempted to lift it and I wouldn't shower my dog in the shower let alone myself. The lampshades were smothered in so much dust and dirt that no light would have been able to get through. We obviously went down to reception to complain about all of this and to her credit she did offer us another room, no thank you!!!! After finding another hotel, I telephoned the discovery in to politely ask for a refund to help pay the cost of the other room. I was told that the manager was looking into the complaint and that she would phone me back that night (Wednesday). I received no phone call and so phoned back on thursday. I was this time told that the manager would be in at 3pm. After phoning back at 3pm, 4.30pm, and 6pm I decided to leave it till a bit later on and rang back at 7pm. By this point I was getting slightly annoyed and informed the lady on the phone that if I did not get a phone call by 12 noon the next day (Friday) I would be ringing trading standards. This seemed to work because I received the phone call at 9.45am on Friday and was given a full refund.

This, although softening the blow, does not make up for the substandard service, and abysmal conditions that we endured in the first place. This hotel should not even be 2 star, and I would question as to whether it should be running at all. Please avoid at all costs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I got to leeds with no accomadation and had not investigated rooms before i got there, just turned up in reception at midnight , i paid £100 for a saturday night stay in a huge room with 4 beds in it, think that is all that was left, the room was clean and tidy with a great view of the city centre, continental breakfast was included, perfect location for the train station and city centre bars. staff were friendly enough and the food was adequate, although i would of prefered a cooked breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Caboolture, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

This Hotel, though close to the Railway Station, should be AVOIDED if you have mobility or vision impairment!! Staff are not sympathetic to your requirements and have a don't care attitude.
Rooms very small. If you have an early train departure be prepared for a walk as the stairs to the station do not open until around 9am. If it is raining make sure you have a raincoat as there is no protection from awnings on you way to the station. Very noisy and beds could more comfortable

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Leeds hotels

Alnwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

I think hotel is Excellent value for money with tea & coffee facilities available. The staff at the hotel was very helpful and the rooms were very clean and it is very near to the railway station. Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Brilliant price (3 bed ensuite - £22 each) great location, friendly staff, big rooms.
Not the comfiest of beds and rooms a little noisy but brilliant for a night out and somewhere to sleep. Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

Very close to the railway station. Room was clean comfortable and basic. Bathroom very clean and smelled appealingly of cleaning products which I appreciate. Continental breakfast fine help yourself to coffee (as much as you like) very good point. I paid £43 B&B I would argue this is a basic clean affordable hotel. I would stay again

• Stayed September 2012
Richmond, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed last night and a friend and I had booked a single room each as near to a lift as possible as I am slightly disabled. All had been taken care of, I was opposite the lift, brilliant.
I had read reviews before booking so understood the booking in procedure etc.
We were very pleased indeed with our rooms, both large for singles, and having all the things we needed. Hairdryer, tea and coffee, tele, plenty of clothes hanging space but above all very clean.
The booking in gentleman on the desk was very helpful, the housemaid we met in the morning was very polite and the breakfast room staff were really pleasant.
I will return to Discovery Inn, Leeds, if I need to stay in the city again.

Room Tip: Make sure you say what type of room you want on your booking form. Say whether shower or bath. If...