“Great Hen Weekend”

Ranked #20 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Scunthorpe
“Great Hen Weekend”
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I have just been to the Crowne Plaza at Leeds for a Hen Party Weekend with my daughter and a group of friends. We had a wonderful time, the hotel was perfect with very helpful staff, good rooms with everything we needed, including air-con.

Three of us stayed in our room, which was very comfortable, although the 3rd bed was on a slight tilt! Overall the beds were very comfortable and everything was extremely clean. The pool/sauna/steam room were all excellent and clean.

Breakfast the next morning was excellent with everything imaginable available to eat. I'm vegetarian and extremely fussy and I was very impressed.

All bars and nightclubs were within walking distance of the hotel. I would not hesitate to visit this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sunderland, UK
Reviewed June 22, 2010

I booked this hotel after looking at the photos on the website and it showed the lovely stairway and facilities. When we got in the room it was like a scene from the shining. The bed was okay but the bathroom, TV (not flat screen), seating area and room decor was off the 1970's.

Staff were great, bar was ridiculously expensive as was room service. We had to pay for parking on top of the room bill. Not worth the money I paid and a let down for my gf.

To be honest I dont really want to write anything else about this hotel, other than its suppose to be 4-5* and was more like 2-3*. I tried to complain but no details ont he website on how to complain.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DeeJayCeeUK
Devon, UK
Reviewed June 12, 2010

I stayed 5 nights on business and the hotel more than met my needs.

Positive:
- Very friendly/helpful staff
- Swimming pool reasonable size & sectioned off for swimming lengths
- Breakfasts slightly better than average
- Bottled water & choc mints in room (colleague had bottle of wine & fruit - exec room)
- Comfy bed & good air conditioning/heating (could leave it on whilst out of room)
- 5-10 min walking distance to town centre (just right amount of exercise at start & end of day!)

Negative:
- No safe in bedroom
- My room looked over main entrance and I could hear traffic noise from main road (even though window was double-glazed)
- Cleanliness of room could have been better: there were hairs on bathroom tiles, dust on bedroom lights and carpet between bedside cabinet and bed was filthy (couldn't have been hoovered in months!)

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Sheringham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Part of a large chain, yes, but certainly not treated as such. The front of house was excellent, nothing too much, friendly but not OTT. Had a couple of minor problems, sorted within minutes. Good leisure facilities, good nights sleep and lovely breakfast. Chat to Dawn & Christina - lovely ladies on reception.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Cannot believe the cost of drinks charged by Crowne Plaza, unfortunately we had arrived quite late in the evening and decided to have some drinks in the hotel rather than venture into Leeds. We purchased one small glass of Rose and one double vodka and diet coke and the bill was a massive £15.50!!!! Whilst I expect to pay a premium in a hotel this was well in excess of what we have normally been charged. We have duly complained but were told that the bar tariff was displayed - Where? I don't know because we certainly didn't see it!! Staff were indifferent to complaint and I am told tariff was set by their head offive. Fine if this was an upmarket 5 star hotel, but it is anything but, and is in need of refurbishing!!!!
Make sure you check your bill before leaving as they had also tried to charge us for drinks from the mini bar which we hadn't had, a newspaper which I had assumed was complimentary, and full price parking when we had been promised a reduced rate of £5.00. Parking is normally £12.50 for an evening stay which again makes it expensive!!!
Breakfasts were disappointing with 'powdered' scrambled eggs and apalling coffee not worth the £10.00 charge,
Come on Crowne Plaza you need to sharpen up your act.
There are definately better value places to stay in Leeds.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Happycouple1
Midlands
Reviewed June 5, 2010

I recently stayed in this hotel with some friends as a quick get away. I agree with all the previous comments that this hotel looks tited and dated and in need of a refurb, but the attitude of the staff and level of customer service is second to none. I would much rather stay in a hotel where the staff are willing to make my stay pleasant and a rememorable experience than one that has all the latest mod-cons and has the air of a hospital with the white walls and minimalistic feel. The previous comments do not do the hotel justice. I wouls definetly return if I were to stay in Leeds again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Manchester
Reviewed March 15, 2010

I stayed here in march 2010 hoping to have a great night in Leeds city. I was with my girlfriend who invited 2 of her friends to come with us and actually recommended the Crowne Plaza as its usually great (Manchester is lovely)- But as soon as we stepped foot in the room we had problems. There was a spider on the ceiling the rooms were freezing cold , really dated and curtains that were covered in dust - This was in a superior room!!!We complained to the duty manager as our friends room was exactly the same. (Clearly not just a one off!!!)The manager showed us 2 more rooms which were also executive rooms and they were just as bad. Due to there being no suites available and all other hotels in the city were fully booked we were forced to stay in this room. I then went to the minibar and discovered it to be only half full but also containing a rotten cookie of some sort from a previous customer!!!!I was disgusted and called for management AGAIN!
Our friends room had a blood stain on the floor, toilet stank of wee and they were just as unimpressed as we were- we were ashamed to have recommended such a TERRIBLE HOTEL!
The list goes on: broken sink, no bath robes, half filled kettle remained from previous customers etc etc.
This hotel really does not live up to crowne plaza standards- they should be ashamed to have their name on it. To be honest I'd rather have stayed in a Premier inn than here. Oh, and to top it all off we asked for a wake up call the following morning which we never got!!! Management offered us free car parking for all our troubles??
On a final note, NEVER GO HERE, it's dirty, dated, old and rotting- stay away from crowne plaza leeds!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends