“Treated as valued guests”
Review of Crowne Plaza Leeds

Crowne Plaza Leeds
Ranked #19 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Part of a large chain, yes, but certainly not treated as such. The front of house was excellent, nothing too much, friendly but not OTT. Had a couple of minor problems, sorted within minutes. Good leisure facilities, good nights sleep and lovely breakfast. Chat to Dawn & Christina - lovely ladies on reception.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,767)

Reviewed June 5, 2010

Cannot believe the cost of drinks charged by Crowne Plaza, unfortunately we had arrived quite late in the evening and decided to have some drinks in the hotel rather than venture into Leeds. We purchased one small glass of Rose and one double vodka and diet coke and the bill was a massive £15.50!!!! Whilst I expect to pay a premium in a hotel this was well in excess of what we have normally been charged. We have duly complained but were told that the bar tariff was displayed - Where? I don't know because we certainly didn't see it!! Staff were indifferent to complaint and I am told tariff was set by their head offive. Fine if this was an upmarket 5 star hotel, but it is anything but, and is in need of refurbishing!!!!
Make sure you check your bill before leaving as they had also tried to charge us for drinks from the mini bar which we hadn't had, a newspaper which I had assumed was complimentary, and full price parking when we had been promised a reduced rate of £5.00. Parking is normally £12.50 for an evening stay which again makes it expensive!!!
Breakfasts were disappointing with 'powdered' scrambled eggs and apalling coffee not worth the £10.00 charge,
Come on Crowne Plaza you need to sharpen up your act.
There are definately better value places to stay in Leeds.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Happycouple1
Reviewed June 5, 2010

I recently stayed in this hotel with some friends as a quick get away. I agree with all the previous comments that this hotel looks tited and dated and in need of a refurb, but the attitude of the staff and level of customer service is second to none. I would much rather stay in a hotel where the staff are willing to make my stay pleasant and a rememorable experience than one that has all the latest mod-cons and has the air of a hospital with the white walls and minimalistic feel. The previous comments do not do the hotel justice. I wouls definetly return if I were to stay in Leeds again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 15, 2010

I stayed here in march 2010 hoping to have a great night in Leeds city. I was with my girlfriend who invited 2 of her friends to come with us and actually recommended the Crowne Plaza as its usually great (Manchester is lovely)- But as soon as we stepped foot in the room we had problems. There was a spider on the ceiling the rooms were freezing cold , really dated and curtains that were covered in dust - This was in a superior room!!!We complained to the duty manager as our friends room was exactly the same. (Clearly not just a one off!!!)The manager showed us 2 more rooms which were also executive rooms and they were just as bad. Due to there being no suites available and all other hotels in the city were fully booked we were forced to stay in this room. I then went to the minibar and discovered it to be only half full but also containing a rotten cookie of some sort from a previous customer!!!!I was disgusted and called for management AGAIN!
Our friends room had a blood stain on the floor, toilet stank of wee and they were just as unimpressed as we were- we were ashamed to have recommended such a TERRIBLE HOTEL!
The list goes on: broken sink, no bath robes, half filled kettle remained from previous customers etc etc.
This hotel really does not live up to crowne plaza standards- they should be ashamed to have their name on it. To be honest I'd rather have stayed in a Premier inn than here. Oh, and to top it all off we asked for a wake up call the following morning which we never got!!! Management offered us free car parking for all our troubles??
On a final note, NEVER GO HERE, it's dirty, dated, old and rotting- stay away from crowne plaza leeds!!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank McKenna1990
Reviewed January 28, 2010

The hotel is a bit old but comfortable and well maintained. The staff is excellent and is ever willing to help (Awesome attitude). we had a great stay

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaLeeds, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2010

Dear Sirs

Thank you for your feedback, which has been shared with me by Trip Advisor, following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Leeds.

Here at the Crowne Plaza Leeds our goal is to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, take the necessary actions and focus our attentions on any areas that we may be able to improve upon.

Thank you once again for your vaulable feeback and we hope to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Leeds in the not too distant future.

Yours faithfully

Matt Byram | General Manager

Reviewed January 25, 2010

I really wouldnt stay here, save your money and go elsewhere. Its tatty , dated and not particularly clean . Couldnt wait to leave ! Dont waste your money on it

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Baliaddict

Dear Sirs
Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with us here at the Crowne Plaza Leeds. I apologise for any inconvenience this situation may have caused you.

Here at the Crowne Plaza Leeds we strive to provide each of our guests with the highest level of service and customer care and I deeply regret that on this occasion, we have failed to deliver this.

The feedback we receive from our valued guests enables us to target problem areas and, wherever possible, take the necessary actions to ensure problems can be avoided in the future. As I am not aware of any specific feedback left during your stay, I would welcome any further detail that you may be able to provide and this would also allow me the opportunity to address your concerns, for reference, my email address is matt.byram@ihg.com

In respect of your comments regarding the condition of the hotel, again I can only apologise for the fact that this fell short of meeting your expectations. Within the hotel, we are working closely with our owners to modernise various areas of the and we do have some capital projects scheduled during 2010.

On a final note, may I once again apologise for the shortcomings experienced during your short break in Leeds.
Yours faithfully

Matt Byram | General Manager
Crowne Plaza Leeds | Wellington Street, Leeds, LS1 4DL

Reviewed January 18, 2010

Have stayed in this Hotel on many occasions. It is overall a good hotel but I agree with the comments that it is not equal to other Crowne Plaza's I have stayed in such as Manchester and Birmingham. However, it does have one significant advantage over these other properties-the leisure facilities which are excellent.
The rooms are rather dated and lacking in modern bathrooms and flat screen TV's but they are generally clean and comfortable with nice duvet covers and plenty of room. They could really do with being updated in order to compete with the others.
The rate that we stay on does not usually include breakfast but if you ask at Reception the day before you can get it for a tenner each, which is excellent value as the quality of the food is good and the cooked selection is especially good-not anaemic as it is in many places.
In terms of location this Hotel is excellent, a short walk from the main bar/eating area of Leeds (Greek Street) and fairly close to the main shopping area. The Hotel is generally quiet and easy to get to by car or from Leeds station.
I have not eaten in the restaurant at night but the range of places in close proximity renders it unnecessary. There is a Pizza Express, Living Room and Blackhouse Grill within walking distance, among many others.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple