“Chocolate on arrival - already winning me over!”
Review of Crowne Plaza Leeds

Crowne Plaza Leeds
Ranked #19 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I liked this hotel. And I liked it because it had nice clean rooms and a few thoughtful little extras that other hotels would not bother with or charge extra for. So a free bottle of water, nice toiletries and chocolates do go a long way to making me feel loved.

The location is good, the breakfast was lovely, and the staff were polite.

1  Thank tankgirl2008
louisest, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Reviewed June 15, 2014

I was very impressed by all of the staff, very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Any problems were dealt with in an outstanding manner. We will return again without a doubt, thank you very much

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with group of friends travelling to York races. The hotel has plenty of positives, room size good, breakfast excellent quality and staff generally pretty effective.

What let it down was small details- the room I thought was about tired, the corridors in need of make over. It looks a hotel that 5-6 years ago was absolutely a good 4 star but is ready for a makeover. Silly things like toilet paper that was as cheap as cheap can buy- just odd for a hotel like this.

Parking is not cheap but onsite- and the location for city centre was quite good.

I shared with a friend and asked for twin, the rest of our group were in same position but instead of two normal beds you get a double and a camp bed- again not the end of the world but at 130 a night a camp bed didn't seem value.

I don't know if I would go again to be honest not at that price. It is however a hotel you will enjoy but I just think it needs some tlc and I would look for a deal that brings the room price to nearer 90 pound with breakfast.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some constructive customer feedback.

We will certainly take your comments on board.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Stayed here for just 1 night with some work colleagues. Staff efficient checking us in and really helpful when we were struggling to get a Taxi in the evening. Room was pretty standard for a hotel of this type, clean and functional with plenty of room. Met in the bar which was aesthetically very pleasing and ordered 2 glasses of wine, the white wine was great but the red wine was off, the barman changed it but was surprised it was served in the first place as was quite obviously an old opened bottle. Breakfast buffet was nice and food was an excellent quality however we struggled getting service to get hot drinks, maybe they should either make this self service or lay on more staff for the breakfast service......no one likes to keep trying to catch their eye for a top up while they are still waking up. Overall though a good stay and have booked to stay again.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

Double check the address as the entrance by car is on a different street, and Leeds has a number of one way streets which can be difficult to find the hotel without a GPS.
The hotel staff service is second to none, they went out of their way to provide a level of service which a number of hotel so have stayed in can learn from, is includes front desk and restaurant staff going the extra mile to assist.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
louisest, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Reviewed June 11, 2014

We booked an Executive Room, however on arrival we were told there were no rooms available and we were going to be upgraded to the Honeymoon Suite (Room 623) at which point we were both delighted. Matt on Reception was friendly and incredibly helpful.

When we got to the room t was faster to say not quite what we had envisaged. There was a maintenance man in the room 'allegedly' fixing the TV whilst watching the tennis at Queens! He excused himself and then we were struck by the overpowering smell of bleach coming from the bathroom...

On closer investigation and following a visit from another member of staff who wanted to check our sink (but who also had a keen interest in the tennis....) we discovered the stench was coming from a drain in the bathroom floor.

We poured a kettle of boiling water down the drain but this just lifted the scum from around it and we decided the room was just plain dirty. There were stains on the carpets, on the chairs, the furniture was old and behind a chest of drawers we discovered a 'used tissue' which we were not convinced was from a nose blower....

At this point my wife went to Reception and complained. We were offered a choice of alternative rooms and opted for a room (607) still on the 6th floor which seemed fine.

It still had a lovely view of the Yorkshire Post building being actively demolished and of the constant roar of traffic/sirens outside from the major link roads - none of which we had been told about prior to arrival.

As we said at the beginning, the staff we encountered were all lovely and couldn't do more to be helpful. We were given a discount on our room which more than compensated for the issues we raised and Emma on Reception as we checked-out, also deserves a special mention for her professionalism and friendliness.

But the hotel needs a serious facelift and more time needs to be spent objectively looking at the state of the rooms which in this day and age just isn't acceptable when there is so much choice.

The demolition work was incredibly close and there was a Maserati in the car park which was absolutely covered with brick dust and luckily our vehicle was far enough away to only have a light covering.

If you are staying here for pleasure in the week - until the hotel improves and the demolition stops, we would strongly advise that you choose somewhere else to stay.

Note to Management: There are clearly workers and a minority of shirkers at this hotel and you need to exit the weakest links and give those members of staff who work so hard, a hotel to be proud of.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KatandSte

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback regarding your recent stay.

Here at the Crowne Plaza Leeds we strive to provide each of our guests with the highest level of service and customer care and I deeply regret that on this occasion, we have failed to deliver this.

The feedback we receive from our valued guests enables us to target problem areas and, wherever possible, take the necessary actions to ensure problems can be avoided in the future.

I can assure you I will be speaking with my team members with regards to the issues you have raised but may I thank you for positive comments with regards to our reception team.

On a final note, may I once again apologise for the shortcomings experienced during your short break in Leeds.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

I am privileged to stay in some of the top hotels around the world and I stay in many Crowne Plaza's globally as I am a gold plus IHG member. But I have to say the service and welcome I received were exceptional from all the staff particularly Matt one of the managers who couldn't have been more helpful ! The locational is great with many great restaurants and bars near by and the hotel and rooms are very clean and well equipped.. I cannot recommend the hotel enough.
alastair