“Nice hotel with just a couple of bits to improve on !”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Crowne Plaza Leeds

Crowne Plaza Leeds
Ranked #15 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Nottingham
“Nice hotel with just a couple of bits to improve on !”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Stayed here for just 1 night with some work colleagues. Staff efficient checking us in and really helpful when we were struggling to get a Taxi in the evening. Room was pretty standard for a hotel of this type, clean and functional with plenty of room. Met in the bar which was aesthetically very pleasing and ordered 2 glasses of wine, the white wine was great but the red wine was off, the barman changed it but was surprised it was served in the first place as was quite obviously an old opened bottle. Breakfast buffet was nice and food was an excellent quality however we struggled getting service to get hot drinks, maybe they should either make this self service or lay on more staff for the breakfast service......no one likes to keep trying to catch their eye for a top up while they are still waking up. Overall though a good stay and have booked to stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
louisest, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, June 24, 2014

Matt Byram

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Double check the address as the entrance by car is on a different street, and Leeds has a number of one way streets which can be difficult to find the hotel without a GPS.
The hotel staff service is second to none, they went out of their way to provide a level of service which a number of hotel so have stayed in can learn from, is includes front desk and restaurant staff going the extra mile to assist.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
louisest, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, June 24, 2014

Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

We booked an Executive Room, however on arrival we were told there were no rooms available and we were going to be upgraded to the Honeymoon Suite (Room 623) at which point we were both delighted. Matt on Reception was friendly and incredibly helpful.

When we got to the room t was faster to say not quite what we had envisaged. There was a maintenance man in the room 'allegedly' fixing the TV whilst watching the tennis at Queens! He excused himself and then we were struck by the overpowering smell of bleach coming from the bathroom...

On closer investigation and following a visit from another member of staff who wanted to check our sink (but who also had a keen interest in the tennis....) we discovered the stench was coming from a drain in the bathroom floor.

We poured a kettle of boiling water down the drain but this just lifted the scum from around it and we decided the room was just plain dirty. There were stains on the carpets, on the chairs, the furniture was old and behind a chest of drawers we discovered a 'used tissue' which we were not convinced was from a nose blower....

At this point my wife went to Reception and complained. We were offered a choice of alternative rooms and opted for a room (607) still on the 6th floor which seemed fine.

It still had a lovely view of the Yorkshire Post building being actively demolished and of the constant roar of traffic/sirens outside from the major link roads - none of which we had been told about prior to arrival.

As we said at the beginning, the staff we encountered were all lovely and couldn't do more to be helpful. We were given a discount on our room which more than compensated for the issues we raised and Emma on Reception as we checked-out, also deserves a special mention for her professionalism and friendliness.

But the hotel needs a serious facelift and more time needs to be spent objectively looking at the state of the rooms which in this day and age just isn't acceptable when there is so much choice.

The demolition work was incredibly close and there was a Maserati in the car park which was absolutely covered with brick dust and luckily our vehicle was far enough away to only have a light covering.

If you are staying here for pleasure in the week - until the hotel improves and the demolition stops, we would strongly advise that you choose somewhere else to stay.

Note to Management: There are clearly workers and a minority of shirkers at this hotel and you need to exit the weakest links and give those members of staff who work so hard, a hotel to be proud of.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KatandSte
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback regarding your recent stay.

Here at the Crowne Plaza Leeds we strive to provide each of our guests with the highest level of service and customer care and I deeply regret that on this occasion, we have failed to deliver this.

The feedback we receive from our valued guests enables us to target problem areas and, wherever possible, take the necessary actions to ensure problems can be avoided in the future.

I can assure you I will be speaking with my team members with regards to the issues you have raised but may I thank you for positive comments with regards to our reception team.

On a final note, may I once again apologise for the shortcomings experienced during your short break in Leeds.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I am privileged to stay in some of the top hotels around the world and I stay in many Crowne Plaza's globally as I am a gold plus IHG member. But I have to say the service and welcome I received were exceptional from all the staff particularly Matt one of the managers who couldn't have been more helpful ! The locational is great with many great restaurants and bars near by and the hotel and rooms are very clean and well equipped.. I cannot recommend the hotel enough.
alastair

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed June 9, 2014

what a nice hotel ! beautiful lobby area, nice spacious junior suite and a lovely pool area.
Special thanks to the reservation staff, Ms Alissa was more than helpfull, she recommended places to visit and we really enjoyed our visit to Leeds !

Room Tip: book a junior suite, worth every penny,
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

stayed here for 1 night with my boyfriend for his birthday , There is a lot to say but I am just going to summarise it all into one word " Brilliant " ! As soon as we checked into the hotel we were greeted by a very friendly lady at reception who managed to tell us all about the city, night life etc and a special mention to Matt and the front of house manager who were being extremely friendly and very helpful and helped us choose a very nice venue to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday as it was our first time visiting Leeds coming from Newcastle . All in all we had a very pleasant stay and would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family and if we come to Leeds again we will definitely stay here again . Many Thanks

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 4321br

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Not as central as some of the other good Leeds hotels but easy walking distance into the main shopping and evening entertainment areas (although it'll seem further when it's cold and raining, which is all too often in Leeds).
Hotel itself is of a good standard with everything you'd expect from this chain; a little pricey though and not outstanding. That said, it's a perfectly acceptable so nothing to complain about either.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
louisest, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that in the main you enjoyed your stay with us.