“Time for a refurb” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Time for a refurb”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

There is nothing wrong with the Leeds Crowne Plaza. I have stayed before but it is starting to become tired and old. I had an executive and perfectly pleasant room but the whole hotel needs a major refurb. I stay in the chain a lot and expect Crowne Plazas to be superior to Holiday Inns. This one is struggling to hold its head up without shame. When compared for example to the Holiday Inn Bristol this Crowne Plaza is found wanting.
The staff are nice though and it is convenient.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
louisest, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback regarding your recent stay.

Here at the Crowne Plaza Leeds we strive to provide each of our guests with the highest level of service and customer care and I am sorry to hear you feel that our facilities are letting us down.

In respect of your comments regarding the hotel, I am delighted to inform you that starting in June the hotel will be having 3 floors of bedrooms refurbished. We are hoping to be complete by September. I hope that you will consider returning when they are complete.

On a final note, may I once again apologise for the shortcomings experienced during your short break in Leeds.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Fabulous staff & great location! Really comfy beds!! Great food!!

I would highly recommend Leeds for a shopping/ party weekend!! Lovely city & lovely people!! Crowne Plaza was a fab hotel to stay in :-) special thanks to crazy Danielle on reception & the lovely restaurant staff :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and found our facilities met with your requirements.

Please be assured I have passed on your kind comments to Danielle as they serve as a great motivator.

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

The crowne plaza Leeds has been one of the weaker links in the ihg brand in the uk for a long time and indeed is much more inferior to the other crown plazas in the country, however as a platinum member I often use the hotel as a matter of loyalty.

The reason the hotel is so inferior is much to do with its age and the need for an extensive overhaul. Public areas are tired and unfashionable, and rooms are basic and dated. The pool area is very our of date and often very dirty to such an extent that I would no longer use it.

Despite such low expectations I have continued to use this hotel for convenience and occasionally getting ihg recognition. However in my latest visit I realise just how poor the hotel has become. I drove from London to arrive late at the hotel ( after midnight ) I didn't stop to eat as I knew I coud get something in the hotel when I arrived. I phoned for room service and received no answer. I phoned reception and was informed everyone had gone home. When I pointed out that many items indicate availability for 24 hrs I was told that they didn't have any staff - this appeared to be a normal occurrence. When I asked to speak to a duty manager - there wasn't any. In fact the receptionist appeared to be also acting as security, manager, etc. the hotel would appear to have reduced staff/costs to such a level that no service of any type could be offered. I would also question health and safety implications of such an approach.

On leaving next day, there was no apology or note of my concerns and I therefore asked to speak to a manager. The receptionist acknowledged my concerns and it was obvious that they were unhappy with the way they were being forced to work also. The manager made a few excuses, however when I was able to contradict each he claimed they had a last minute sickness - which obviously wasn't true. I then could not check-out as they said there system was down - despite being promised a receipt by email later that day - it finally arrived 4 days later.

So not only I'd the hotel dated, tired and dirty, it is now being managed down to the ground. There are many other much more superior hotels in Leeds for a similar or lower rate. If you need to use an ihg rate yo would be better at a holiday inn express - at least you know what you are getting and pay a lower rate accordingly. This hotel is exploiting the crown plaza brand - don't be conned into thinking that means anything in terms of service!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JKlondon09
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear JKlondon09,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least surpass your expectations on this visit especially with the service received from our staff and room accommodations and ambiance being sub par. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. We will use your comments to improve our efforts.

Once again, thank you for alerting us and bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Ok the good clean, looks of towels etc, bed comfortable
Poor a bit tired and bashed in places, sink cracked, mirror broken no door on mini fridge
Bad, pay for Internet are you kidding, £20.00 for overnight parking just plain wrong
Would I stay again...not very likely

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Teresa L
louisest, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest

The feedback we receive from our valued guests enables us to target problem areas and, wherever possible, take the necessary actions to ensure problems can be avoided in the future.

With regards to your comments about parking, our overnight charge is £13.00. We do charge for access to the internet but you can gain access for as little as £5.00.

I am sorry you felt the room you stayed in was tired. I am happy to tell you though, that starting this Summer we are refurbishing 3 floors of our bedrooms. Perhaps you will consider staying with us again once the work has been finished.

Horsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

SERVICE - STAFF
All were very polite - very personable - and wanted to assist

HOTEL - Sparse reception area - but not a big deal, Nice bar area - breakfast room

ROOM - Very tired - bathroom cracks on a number of tiles - old fashioned plastic shower (although worked very well) needs revamping ( if you like modern) - dusty room - dirty towell on arrival on the bath. Dirty Throw - not nice. No safe if you are fussy. Double Bed very small not the biggest. Only a small thing but no normal thick plastic brochure with all hotel details. Very thin walls - not ideal when parties are on like we had on a saturday night music till 1pm

POOL AREA - did not use, although it looked as it should

RESTAURANT - Did not use for dinner

BREAKFAST ROOM - Very busy each day - staff were always trying very hard, although had to ask several times for tea/coffee. Food was good, all there. Staff personable and happy.

PARKING - Good

LOCATION - Ten to fifteen minute walk to the main shops - restaurants

VALUE - £160 For 2 nights with breakfast

SUMMARY - Not sure if it is a four star - have stayed in a similiar class hotel, and this was a little off - staff were great though and actually made the hotel.

Room Tip: Room on the second floor could hear the music below till 1.00pm
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
louisest, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Guest

Here at the Crowne Plaza Leeds we strive to provide each of our guests with the highest level of service and customer care and I deeply regret that on this occasion, we have failed to deliver this in some areas.

With regards to our bedrooms, we are actually going to be refurbishing some of them before the end of the year. All of our bedrooms contain our hotel information when you switch on your television.

I can only apologise that you were disturbed by the event that was taking place the evening you stayed. We do wherever possible locate our guests on higher floors away from the event taking place. On this occasion this must not have been possible.

california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

excelllent hotel, friendly and helpful staff. the room was lovely and so was the pool. definatelt return when im next in the UK. close to the city centre which was handy for walking around. the staff were always on hand for anything. thank you cowne plaza for a relaxing stay

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Please be assured I have passed on your kind comments to all of our team, as they serve as a great motivator.

Hull, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

We booked this hotel for a relaxing weekend away and we had a lovely time. Booking in was fast and efficient and we were upgraded free of charge . We took advantage of the pool and chilled out before a lovely meal in the restaurant.
A word about the staff- we had to agree that we have never stayed in a friendlier hotel, everyone from the front desk to the restaurant were so nice and helpful it really made all the difference. Room was clean and comfy beds made for a good nights sleep.
The hotel is 10 minutes walk to the centre and the new Trinity Shopping centre is worth a visit .
We will be heading for Leeds again in the near future and will be staying at the Crowne again !!

Room Tip: top floors offer a nice view of leeds and a quiet nights sleep
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.