“Nice friendly clean hotel”
Review of Crowne Plaza Leeds

Crowne Plaza Leeds
Ranked #20 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“Nice friendly clean hotel”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed on business. Price and quality good, glad I took B&B option, otherwise breakfast would be £13. Breakfast was ok but definitely not worth £13. Room was big and clean, complimentary water bottles in room and tea/coffee. Wifi expensive but I didn't use it. I'm a platinum priority club member but got no room upgrade. Shower was an attachment over the bath, I prefer a proper walk in one. Staff friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kimberley_Bryan, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Richard H,

Thank you for writing a review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Leeds. I am happy that you found our prices and quality good. We do value our Priority Club guests and unfortunately on this occasion an upgrade was not possible but on your next stay if you would like to contact the hotel directly; the reception team can look into availability on that date.

We thank you again for your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kimberley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here now a number of times and have never had any issues. I have always managed to get parked and find the whole hotel set up convenient. Reception staff are always really helpful as are the staff in the bar restaurant upstairs. Only negative is the charge for wifi, very expensive when many hotels are free or a lot cheaper.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear GMadcat,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your comments regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Leeds. Thank you for your loyalty and I am happy to read that we continue to provide you the same service that would be expected. I have passed on your kind comments throughout the hotel as this serves as a great motivator.

With regards to our internet; over the last few years we've invested heavily in providing our guests with super high speed, secure internet. Technically, what sets us apart is the amount of bandwidth each hotel enjoys. So, unlike a basic broadband connection, we're able to guarantee excellent speed, not just for a few of our guests, but for hundreds.

In addition we offer 24/7 technical support should you require any assistance. To make all this possible we do need to apply a sensible charge for internet use.

We value and appreciate your comments and we are currently looking at how we meet all our guests’ expectations on the quality and price of internet’.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Manchester UK
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Broken and unloved

We arrived at the red brick 80's style hotel, slightly on the outskirts of Leeds, yet within easy walking distance to the centre; to be greeted by a broken car park barrier prior to parking in the unsightly concrete car park. The broken barrier was a taste of things to come.

Check-in was argumentative, as I was reminded that my failure to book breakfast NOW on arrival would result in a higher charge for the same in the morning. I get sales, I like sales; it makes the world go around. Just that a "welcome how are you" would of been a little more amicable first.

Our room was reasonably well equipped, albeit a tad dated, but it was broken. The small mirrored wardrobe sliding door fell off its rail on opening, the main curtain was off its track at the end, the tea making facility had only one tea bag, the shower head was stuck on jet mode, the heating was poor and the ironing board disgusting (see photo). Really only minor things, that less than £10 and half an hour of maintenance could not of sorted out, but nobody loved the place to care. A request for a new ironing board was actioned by bringing one almost as dirty, followed by a shrug when this was pointed out.

It was 'death by a thousand cuts', as nothing major was wrong, but just too many minors.

Room had: coffee making, desk and chair, large comfy bed with lots of pillows and fresh white sheets, plasma TV, small broken wardrobe and surprisingly for Crowne Plaza no room safe.

The £10.95 discounted breakfast (OK, I eventually bought the £5 per head deal on check-in) was reasonable in terms of selection of foods, but again unloved. Half cooked sausage etc. Really friendly service by the breakfast staff however.

The hotel had a health club and pool with early / late opening hours, which was a plus.

In summary, when hotels date they slide down a gradual slope, but with no love, care and attention that slope is steep; especially in a city centre with lots of competition. I will be going elsewhere in future.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nick_From_Manchester
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Nick_From_Manchester,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am deeply sorry that your stay was negatively affected by the experience at check in and condition of the amenities. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Once again, many thanks for your review.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Booked the Crowne Plaza as a getaway treat for my girlfriend and I and could not fault one thing! Everything was just perfect and we both thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Coops35,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Leeds. I am thrilled to read that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for recommending our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest Regards
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I came here on a flying visit, booking at quite short notice. I arrived at about 8:30pm. The hotel has ample parking both covered and uncovered and parking up was easy. The hotel is well positioned. A Short walk down the road from the train station, about a 10-15 minute walk into the town and it is adjacent to the main dual carriageway in and out of town so access is easy if you have a car.

When I arrived there was no one at the reception desk, however a member of staff appeared quickly. I was checked in quickly by a female member of staff who had plenty of Yorkshire charm, I mean that sincerely!! As a Platinum member I was given either the choice of a free drink or a free desert. I've had better perks but also had less and If I was given a room upgrade it certainly wasn't mentioned to me so I'm somewhat sceptical about that one.

I was given a room on the 5th floor, looking out to the west side of the hotel. The room was well sized, with a decent sized desk with executive chair. Overall about average by today's modern standards. The room had all the appointments you'd expect of a Crowne Plaza, with a flat screen TV and the furniture was contemporary looking The bed and bed linen was one of the more comfortable I've ever had in a Crowne plaza and a good night sleep was had. The A/C in the room was also one of the better one's I've used, it was simple to use, simple to understand and the change in temperature was quick, I'd like more hotels to use simpler adjustments boxes like this one. I didn't make use of the hotels amenities so I cant comment on the rest, but it has a gym and pool facilities which seem to be used by locals as there so it keeps the place busy with people coming and going in the reception.

Overall I think this a well run Crowne Plaza, the staff are friendly and helpful and the room was comfortable, clean and modern. I think the room rate was very reasonable considering my relatively late booking and for what you get. My only criticism would be the parking charges. Whilst I can understand why parking is charged I find it a little cheeky to charge a reasonable premium to charge when the car park is not 'secure'. The barriers were never closed and I think if i had been more dishonest I could of got away without paying. I think if your going to charge you should offer something in return, such as some security. However that is only a small criticism and if I return to Leeds again I will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
louisest, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Leeds very soon and I can assure you that our old car parking barrier will by then have been removed and a new one will have been installed.

Guest Relations Manager
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I visted this Crowne Plaza on Friday for 3 days (2 nights) for a premature birthday treat. This was the nicest Crowne Plaza I have stayed in. The staff were so helpful, even before I arrived communicating via email to ensure that everything was going to be 100% perfect for our visit.
We had a perfect welcome from Amy at reception, and Jodie and Adrienne at breakfast and dinner were the perfect hosts, I must mention though Matt on reception who could not offer his assistance more efficiently. They even arranged prematurely for some veggie sausages for my breakfast. Housingkeeping attended to your services within 1-2 minutes.
The icing on the cake though was in the Spirit Health Club; Adam Lunn, Personal Trainer took some of his own time to give me a short introduction to help me with my training.
We will definitely go back here again and will recommend it to all my friends and colleagues.

Room Tip: Top floor, room 620. but not some rooms facing over the front of the hotel, 620 is facing to the si...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kate H,

Many thanks for taking the time to write down your comments about your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Leeds. Thank you for all your lovely feedback regarding the hotel and your kind comments have been passed onto the staff; especially the one's you have mentioned, as this will keep motivating them to continue to provide great hotels guests love.

Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Kindest Regards
Durham UK
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Booked a family room for my sister in law and daughter for Pre-Christmas shopping trip. Arrived early but room was ready and we were checked in. About ten mins stroll to centre lovely clean, excellent choice for breakfast, bar a bit pricey about £7 for large glass of wine but staff were very friendly could not fault our stay and would definitely recommend this hotel. I have stayed in a few more central hotels in Leeds but this one tops the list mainly for the helpfulness of staff. I will be back again. Thank you, keep up the good work

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kimberley_Bryan, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Liz21,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Leeds. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff, these will be passed onto them and will serve as a great motivator.

Many Thanks