“Pretty Reasonable”

Ranked #18 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Hawick, United Kingdom
“Pretty Reasonable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Travelled down to Leeds from Scotland for the Origin Rugby League match and wanted a hotel reasonably close to Headingley and this fitted the bill.

On the whole the stay was a pleasant one.

We stayed in an executive room which I'm guessing wasn't too much different to the standard rooms except for the leather seat, half bottle of wine and fruit. It was comfortable enough and cosy warm.

The breakfast was pretty standard fare - plentiful and, the cooked choices, hot.

Though we didn't use them there was a swimming pool and bar/restaurant.

The staff were pretty good though the lack of communication during/after a 2:40am fire alarm was a bit disappointing.

Other than that the only real disappointments were the ridiculous pricing of the internet access and car parking. If you want to use both add £25 to the price of your room!

Overall a reasonable hotel in a decent location.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sdhunterx
louisest, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some informative customer feedback.

I am delighted to read that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us.

I was sorry to hear that the communication was poor during the fire alarm. Your comments will be fed back to the appropriate managers involved, as this is an area all of our staff have been fully trained in and the communication should have been much better.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

I will state the facts as they were here. Checked into 2 rooms on the 3rd floor on 10th June between 2-3pm. Noted there weren't any room safes. Went out and came back at around 9:30pm. My parents' room stank of cigarette smoke. 2 ipods and a purse with around GBP 10 has been removed from the room. No signs of forced entry. Called hotel reception, who advised us to contact the police directly. We did call the police and they attended the scene around an hour later to jot down a few details. A crime report number has been obtained. Hotel duty manager later took a statement with two of my family members. I was advised by the duty manager that this would be referred to the hotel group's internal risk department. I asked for a copy of the statement taken by the duty manager upon check out and was refused, and was told that someone from the hotel would contact me the coming week.

This was the first leg of a family outing to Yorkshire and the incident had completely ruined our first night.

Otherwise, the 2 rooms were pretty standard, the bathrooms were more like Holiday Inn than Crowne Plaza though they were clean. Found a sock from the previous occupants in my room's wardrobe. Parents' room got no hangers in the wardrobe. 2 table lamps did not work in my room. The staff were generally pleasant. The poor service was "awarded" to the apathetic response from the duty manager. Breakfast was standard. Reasonably priced and reasonably convenient location.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
louisest, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Dear Guest
With regards to your recent trip advisor posting and direct complaint, our General Manager will be contacting you directly with regards to this matter.

Louise Styler
ENGLAND
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

Quality establishment situated on the outskirts of the city centre but still within walking distance though you wouldn't want to do it with heavy baggage. There is adequate secure parking on site and it's location on the outskirts makes driving and finding the place easier.

Quality of the rooms is good with little if any outside noise. Room service is standard fare, good but not outstanding. Breakfast was good and checkout and check-in quick and simple.

It does have leisure facilities but I didn't have time to check them out. Great business hotel if it's convenient to your office.

I will stay there again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
louisest, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some good customer feedback.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and found the hotel suited your requirements.

Stourport on Severn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

Stayed in hotel for business and it was in a great location for that. Took 10 minutes to walk from train station with case along a straight road - easy to find.
I didnt use the facilities much but did have room service for evening meal and breakfast twice. Food arrived on time and in fact you recieved a call from the kitchen to advise that it was on the way up. Good choice on menu.
Room very comfortable and clean and I had a great nights sleep. The only negative with room was that you had to pay for internet and I thought that the price was too high (£25 for nights stay).
Staff all around the hotel were all very pleasant and extremely helpful and made the stay comfortable. It is not a romantic hotel for couples to chill out in etc etc but for business use or using it as a base for exploring it is very functional and a good place to stay.

Dear Guest

With regards to the internet, £25.00 is an all inclusive charge for access to the internet for 24 hours and access to our movie packages. The charge for internet only is £16.00 for 24 hours or there is an hourly charge of £5.00. We also discount the rate for a 2 night stay.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

Bookedif the plaza in Leeds as we had been there before & enjoyed it, not this time!! Receptionist made me feel like a criminal as i didnt have a credit card!! The room was disgustingly hot, blood on pillow, marks on carpet & enough dust to charge the mites room rates! Staff rude & unhelpful we checked out after being in the room an hour. Am disgusted never again. I am writing this review as i received a letter of apology this morning-as if that is suffice for ruining my sons weekend!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank suze31

Louise Styler
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2011

I have been using this hotel for the past 5 years which I guess is testament in itself. The amenities are of a good 4 star quality and all bedrooms were refurbished recently to a good standard and include large flat screen TV’s - beds and bedding are also quality and guarantee a good nights sleep. It is the staff however, that make the difference as they are 5 star at all levels. From the GM and Sales Director, to the front desk, restaurant and bar staff, through to the cleaners - they understand what customer service is all about.

Thank you to all of the CP staff for your excellent service and a very special thanks to Sajda Chohan on the front desk for the cheerful and professional service always afforded during the past 5 years.

1 Thank KRichards61
louisest, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you enjoy staying with Crowne Plaza.

Please be assured I have passed on all of your kind comments to my team, as they serve as a great motivator.

Northallerton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2011

Rooms clean and tidy - main positive was the service which was very good.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
louisest, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and found our levels of service were particularly good.