“Pretty good”

Ranked #12 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Cannock, United Kingdom
“Pretty good”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for the weekend (25-27 may) with a friend in a twin room. Its situated about a mile from the shops and university so not too far to walk and there is a bus stop down the road that will take you to the city centre for £1. The hotel is clean and modern with fairly big rooms however there is no wifi in the rooms, no fridge, no room service and no meals available in the hotel after breakfast. The breakfast included is good with all the basics such as cereal, fruit, toast, pastries, sausage, egg and beans. I would stay again as it was fairly cheap and generally a nice place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank amymadd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
durham
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We stayed here in April 2012 for a night and as it was a rush job ,couldnt argue with the hotel,but the main problem was the finding of it as the sat nav couldnt locate it.
Roadworks on entrance are easily missed and hotel should advise this as we drove around in circles to get the right exit.
Breakfast free for all,but prefer more selection,wouldnt stay here again as i prefer to more near the city as this was agood walk away .
couldnt fault staff or cleanliness and room quite nice.parking good

Room Tip: check for roadworks with hotel before you go
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dvdwrght7
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with 2 friends for one night in May. There was a double bed in the room and a fold out couch that had already been made up as a bed for our stay.

After staying the one night on the fold out couch I returned home and on the following evening began to notice bites on my right forearm, about 12 of them scattered up and down my arm but nowhere else. I checked first online then checked with my doctor and were told they looked exactly like bed lice bites (and itched like mad!)

I emailed the hotel and told them what happened, I was replied to the next day and told the room had been inspected by Holiday Inns contract cleaners and they found nothing. I don't know who this company were and when I spoke to the hotel manager she told me they are independent but I'm not sure, I asked if I could get a company to check the room but was told this would not be possible. From there I was just told that I must have got the bites elsewhere ( after a night in Leeds going from bar to bar the only place I stopped for any amount of time was on the holiday inn fold out couch, but this fact was ignored). I asked for a refund or some form of compensation from both the hotel manager and area supervisor but was offered nothing. I was basically treated as if I was after something for nothing and this was definitely wasn't the case. I've stayed in plenty of hotels and never complain, I just felt that being bit to death after staying in a hotel and then holiday inn accepting zero responsibility was pushing it a bit far! I won't be staying in any holiday inns in the future after this experience

Note: I should say that it is perfectly plausible that I could have got the bites outside the hotel, but I just thought I would post my experience and let people make up there own mind.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Mr-F-2012
JudithMillea, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
There are some inaccuracies in this review. It was not cleaners that inspected the room but an independent firm of pest control specialists (BPCA members) and their report was passed to yourself which confirmed that they could find absolutely no trace of any kind of biting insect or anything that may have caused the marks.

In your own words you confirm “I should say that it is perfectly plausible that I could have got the bites outside the hotel” and with expert advice we can say for certainty that there was no evidence that this happened in the hotel bedroom when it was inspected less than 24 hours after you reported it.

Any such report from a guest is taken extremely seriously and experts are called in. As I advised you at the time, it is always best to check with occurrences like this and I was pleased that the room was found to be completely clean.
Hull, UK
Reviewed May 19, 2012

The room was in need of updating, the carpet did not fit properly and the TV was not working properly.

It was a place to lay our head and it accpeted our small well behaved dog.

We did put our thoughts in writing and got no reply.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to note your comments following your stay in January. Unfortunately, I do not recall any note about the carpet and can only comment therefore on the televisions which will all be updated now at the end of July. On a positive note, I am pleased we were able to accommodate your dog whcih we usually only do on a request basis. Thank you
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 29, 2012

stayed just 1 night but will stay again next time im in leeds, room was spotless and was very quite, confortable bed and was surprised i slept so long .breakfast was nice, and staff very friendly. definitely on my to stay again list

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
JudithMillea, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to note your thoughts regarding our hotel and I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay! Look forward to seeing you back here soon!
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Another average holiday inn
The rooms were clean and well furnished but then again all holiday inns are i only stayed here as I had a customer over from Cyprus for a business meeting and this was the most central hotel between work and Leeds City Station.Breakfast was ok but not much choice of hot food only scrambled eggs sausage and beans but there was serial cheese ham fruit and some sticky buns.
Coffee was out of a machine and was a bit wishy washy the biggest let down was the towels and bedding although clean they smelt like they had been stored next to deep fat friers or the had been put the the wash with the chefs whites.
Whilst at the Hotel a one in a million chance occured i bumped into someone that joined the same ship as me in the Royal Navy some 35 years ago He and his wife were up for the day checking out the University for their daughter so much to chat about and catch up on including filling them in on this wonderfull 24 hour Cosmopolitan City.
Not in this Hotel the Bar closes 1am so we had to walk down the road to the Casino i think on this occation the hotel did us a favour as the drinks prices were considerably cheaper at the Casino and a visitors pass is free.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to note your comments regarding your recent stay here and I am pleased you found your room to be nice and clean. Not sure at all what the smell was regarding the linen as when it arrives at the hotel it is taken straight up to the floors and therefore kept nowhere near the kitchen but I will check further with our supplier!
Pleased you managed to catch up with an old friend and what a wonderful coincidence!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Enjoyed a very pleasant stay at this hotel whilst visiting Leeds to attend O.U. seminar. A bit out of town but a 15-20 min stroll gets you to the centre. There's also the City Loop bus service that stops just outside the Park Lane Campus of the Uni which is only a 5 min walk from hotel. 50p gets you anywhere on the route which passes through the city centre. Hotel was perfectly acceptable in all respects.Breakfast was more than adequate as was the bar and staff were helpful and courteous at all times. VFM @ £98 for my wife and I for 2 nights was fine with breakfast being included. Would be nice if they just abolished the parking charge for residents but at £3/night it wasn't at all excessive. Overall - very satisfied with our stay.

Room Tip: Sat evening in/around the hotel can be busy as Leeds seems to be a popular hen/stag destination so t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
JudithMillea, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind comments and I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay! Look forward to seeing you back at the hotel soon!