“Disappointing...but”

Ranked #475 of 1,950 Restaurants in Leeds
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was our second visit to Azucar..... now I don't know if our disappointing return visit was due to the fact this was a Groupon deal, and we were expecting the same great food as our first visit, or not,....here's why....
We were told there was no prawn Gambas, or calamari rings, yet the tables around us seemed to be served these dishes...hmmmm conspiracy I wonder...
However we ordered our 5 dish selection and to be honest they were ok, the chilli with cheese , the albondigas , Cajun chicken were actually quite good, but the Spanish omelette and fish cakes were average at best, the worst dish was the complementary potato bravas, they were burnt and looked and tasted like a third time warm up .... We sent them back and 2 mins later a steaming dish of new arrived, ping & go methinks, service was good but slow, not even a full restaurant , my bottle of modelo negro was cold and good, so was the complimentary sangria, however all in all a disappointing evening, compared to our first visit
The restaurant is a little on the dark side but personally I think this adds to the warmth and ambience of Azucar, music policy is good but we didn't stay late as we had other plans, but I understand its a great Latino style late evening.
So Azucar , my advice is to work on the consistency, thats the mark of a good restaurant, the rest will take care of itself.
Will we come back again....probably.... But maybe not for a while.

So guys thanks for reading my review, don't forget to leave me a helpful vote....please

All the best Ming
And yet another stop off on my World Domination Tour

1  Thank EmperorMing

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I went with a couple of friends on a Friday night. The food was nice although I only tried the Tapas. The music was brilliant, I just wanted to get up and dance. It wasn't latino, more reggae and old skool rnb. I will definitley be going back to have a night out there. Only problem was they mixed our bill up with somebody elses but it was easily rectified. We got 50% off our tapas as it was a special offer but I wouldn't want to pay full price. I would however like to try the main dishes.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I am a big fan of tapas and after the enormous disaster of going to La Tasca on Greek Street and a distance from the best tapas place in Leeds (El Bareto in Chapel Allerton) we decided to try Azucar and we were not wrong. The service was outstanding (a very friendly and smiley Spanish girl with Salma Hayek accent) the food portions were huge (will remember to order only two tapas next time) and delicious and drinks were served promptly.

The only thing that bothered me (well two things actually) was the complete lack of light, it was like eating in a cave:) I am only 30 so I should like things that are different and quirky but this was too much. I usually like to see my husband :)

Also, since it is a Spanish place I would expect Spanish music to be played so the whole dining experience is more authentic - and again British rock music isn't really the most pleasant dinner music.

I am sure we'll be back - with a candle and a portable Spanish music player - Pastora Soler maybe.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Azucar might attract different kind of people - the ones that love Tapas and the ones that like Latino music. Best time to try Tapas is Tuesday (half price). Try lovely Patatas Bravas and mushrooms. The ones who can't stand still hearing latino beats, should come on Saturday night and dance till you drop. Great music, great Spanish and Portuguese beers, great atmosphere and nice staff. Not to mention tequila shots for £1.50. All in all, it is a lovely place!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Have eaten here around a dozen times now with minimal bad things to say. Food good, service fast, and the 1/2 price offer is a great thing to take advantage of. If 4 or more request a booth! Much nicer to seat and eat in one of the booths. Nice bar area to wait in small but does a job. I will continue to return and would recommend this place in Leeds is 2nd only to Viva Cuba.