“Good food but customer service...meh!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Ho's

Ho's
Ranked #599 of 1,811 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Quarry Hill
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food but customer service...meh!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

I normally go to Tong Palace for dimsum but when we arrived it had closed down so we went across the road to try out Ho's. The place was busy and had a nice atmosphere. The dimsum was decent and arrived quickly but the waiters were a bit distant and inattentive. Would go back for the food but not the service.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Amy C

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Lovely food but why no tap water?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

We went to Ho's a couple of nights ago to celebrate a friend's birthday. We've been before and the food and service has always been excellent - somewhat surprised by the reviewer who felt they were being slighted on account of being white - there were a lot of Chinese customers in that night and we certainly didn't feel we were unwelcome. My only problem with Ho's (and other Chinese and sometimes Indian restaurants) is the stupid habit they have of not serving tap water when asked. To be fair, on this occasion I didn't ask - no-one else wanted water so I opted for sparkling mineral water instead. Plus from past experience I didn't want to run the risk of a refusal, which would just have made me extremely grumpy! However, on our way out, I spotted a large notice pasted to the door which stated "Bar/restaurant. NO tap water served". I am fairly certain that this mean and petty practice is now actually illegal, especially on any premises where alcohol is served. I believe a law came in around 2010, mainly because of binge drinking, which ruled that tap water had to be served if requested. Most decent restaurants will ask you as a matter of course if you would like a jug of water on the table, and given the hight salt content of Chinese food I would have thought a glass of tap water is the least they could offer! And it's not as though we're a bunch of skinflints - we invariably have a couple of bottles of wine and sometimes beer, so they're getting their money's worth from us. Perhaps the sign was out of date and they've just forgotten to take it down? I certainly hope so, otherwise I really don't feel like going again.

• Visited June 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
“What is going on at Ho's?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

Visited with 3 work colleagues for a quick (we hoped) lunch time treat. They do a really reasonable set menu for £7 something. Ordered our starter and that arrived and was really very good then we were made to wait for over 30 minutes for our main courses. This wouldn't usually present a problem however we, like most other people on a lunch break only get an hour to eat. We were pretty much being ignored, I had to ask where our food was, it arrived at that point but one of our party had to leave to return to work without having any lunch.

What I found really odd was the fact that other people were arriving, being served, eating and paying their bill before we'd even had our main. We were the only white people in the restaurant everyone else appeared to be Chinese. An older white couple arrived and I could see they were being made to wait whilst everyone else was receiving their delicious looking dimsum and I really felt for them.

The food here is good. However, I can only speak from my experience and that is Ho's seem to have a blatant disregard for white customers and would prefer they dined elsewhere. It's either that or the fact our party of white people and the two other white people in the restaurant were being completely ignored due to sheer coincidence. I don't expect diners that have just arrived to be served, eat and leave before I've been served the food I ordered 40 minutes previously.

I'm angry, saddened and somewhat confused about this. I hope I'm wrong. I hope Ho's are serving everyone equally and today was just an off day. You go along and see how you are treated.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank Strypee
Leeds, UK
“Best chinese...........ever?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We are regulars here and the food is always impeccable!
We are virgins to the DIm sum menu and guess what........AMAZING!

Morning glory vegetables, salt and pepper squid, jasmin tea, ho fun.......crispy shredded beef, dan dan noodles...........all firm favorites!!!!!!!!

• Visited May 2014
“Good Food - Good Value!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

We visited Ho's as we were staying in the Travelodge next door so was the most convenient choice. We were able to make use of the "early bird" menu which is available between 5pm & 7pm and gives two courses plus drink for £11.90 each. The early bird menu is limited but there is something for everyone with the most popular dishes being present. Very limited drinks available (wine, soft drink, tea) but again something for everyone. Servers were not the most friendly but very efficient and as with most Chinese restaurants I have visited there is no desire to keep you there (offers of more drinks, check backs on the meal etc . . . ). The food however was stunning. Beautifully cooked, full of authentic flavour, piping hot and well presented. All in all for the bargain price of £25 for two I would recommend you look past the shabby decor, tacky decorations and lack of smiles and enjoy good quality tasty food.

1 Thank msunderstood1801