“Does what it says on the tin....without daylight”
Review of Gaucho Leeds

Gaucho Leeds
Ranked #41 of 1,932 Restaurants in Leeds
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Leeds City Centre
Description: Gaucho source the finest grass-fed beef in the world from Argentina, along with an offering of many other Argentine specialities which range from Latin American style ceviche to chorizo, Gulf de San Jorge lobster, Patagonian lamb and Argentine gambas to traditional empanadas and fine wine. We also offer the largest wine selection in the world outside of Argentina in our restaurants and guests can buy many of the wines from our wine boutique, Cavas de Gaucho on Swallow Street. With seasonally changing menus served across all of our restaurants, we also offer The Gaucho Lunch menu, either two or three courses, between Monday and Friday.
Reviewed July 9, 2013

A couple we know said we need to try Gaucho – so decided to join them last Saturday night. I don’t get excited about steaks like most people do, yeah I like them, but I don’t see them as the ‘must have’ option on the menu like many others. Plus they are hugely over priced – so I had my reservations about going to a place that bases its whole concept around steaks.

The place is clearly treated by the Leeds clientele as ‘the place to be seen’ – I felt like I was watching an episode of The Only Way is Essex with the amount of ‘glammed up’ couples coming for their night out. I saw a previous reviewers comment about how it looked like a night club and I’m sure many people like that style of venue, personally I was indifferent.

Well my first impressions were very good, we were met by a series of very well presented staff in a nice lounge/bar area. The décor is very modern and trendy; a lot of cow skin furniture and chandeliers and being underground with no windows for daylight, provides an intimate setting.

Drinks were pricey, as were the starters, yet compared to the cost of a steak at many other places, the steaks were quite reasonable and they came with sauce and chips which many places would charge extra for. Looking through the menu I wanted to try a South American rice dish, with prawns, lime and coconut, but seeing as our friends had brought us here for steak – I felt I had better go with that.

A cheery waitress came round with a great big board displaying all the cuts of meat to us – which wasn’t really necessary, but I suppose some people would like it. We ordered a sausage platter to start with – 4 sausages for £20 – that’s some expensive sausage. They were good, but worth a fiver each – no.

I had a rib eye done medium rare – I was a bit taken aback when my plate arrived – it was literally a bare white plate with a lump of meat on it. I suppose that’s what I ordered though; I just found it a bit strange. It hadn’t been rested either as when I cut into it loads of juices came spurting out. The steak was fine, as I said earlier I like steak, but not mad about it, but there was no issue with the quality of it, the béarnaise sauce I got was delicious and the chips were fine. My dessert was a caramel flan, however there was no sign of a flan base, it was more like a crème caramel, not noteworthy, but edible.

Overall I enjoyed my trip to Gaucho, I’d go again with friends, but it’s not going to be at the top of our list for a meal out. However, as a steak restaurant it does was it says on the tin!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,136)

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have been to this restaurant a number of times and always had good food but on this occasion 3 out of the 4 steaks that our group ordered were tough and not cooked properly. We addressed this with the staff but unfortunately they didn't take us particularly serious, which was disappointing. The setting is very nice and I appreciate that sometimes food can be served incorrectly but when it is they need to make sure that the service is much better when told about it.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I love my steaks and have been fortunate enough to eat in some amazing places all over the world. This is one of the best steak houses that I have visited in the UK. The staff were amazing, the wine selection was very interesting and the food was first class. Make sure you book in advance over the weekend - you really won't be disappointed.

Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We visited last Saturday and it was one of the best dining experiences ive had in this country. Upon entering we were shown to our table and shown menus. The waiter brought a sample of the cuts of meat available and explained the different tastes, textures etc. My wife had sirloin and I had rib eye, both quickly delivered and tasted beautiful. Side dishes of mushrooms (bland) spinach and rissoto were very good. The wine list is vast and if you explain your taste a wine will be suggested.
Ok, this place is not cheap but that's evident from the on line menu. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for.
First class meal in a great atmosphere.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Booked this restaurant with excitement six weeks earlier for a night out with friends in Leeds. Turned up at 9pm, table not quite ready, have a drink at the bar. At 10.25 we gave up and left, before we could even sit at the table. Staff pleasant but useless, 'the table s nearly ready, they are just finishing their drinks and talking about nothing, so it won't be long'. Then the manager appears, won't be long. Now, I have a business with 120 staff and if one of mine acted so poorly, they wouldn't deserve a job. Unfortunately I can't comment on the food, but I would advise to save your time and just go to Kendalls Bistro instead. We had a fabulous Friday evening there, the complete opposite of Gaucho

3  Thank PhilipJones72