“Duck Pancakes!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tong Palace - CLOSED

Tong Palace
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Neighborhood: Quarry Hill
Kirribilli, Australia
“Duck Pancakes!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

It was unexpected to find a reasonably authentic Chinese restaurant in Leeds (we did scope it earlier, impressed with a fair number of Asians dining there). It was the dumplings that attracted us and they were already running out for sunday lunch, but we liked what we tried. The best dish was the duck pancake with enough crispy skin to make them a taste & textural sensation (but did not need to make it look more substantial by strewing the shredded duck among about twice as much shredded lettuce). The chicken in lettuce cups (sang choy bow where Ive had it before) was loaded with some unsanctioned veges but were nonetheless delicious). This was more than enough food already but we still had a stir fried green Chinese vegetables which we had to leave half, and sweetcorn chicken soup that we had packed up (though honestly it was a bit gluggy with cornflour for my taste). The room is a bit tired but thats something that suits an honest Chinese, and we will definitely have this on our list for future visits.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank TheConstantEater

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Find somewhere else”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

I went here for a family meal, I ordered Won ton soup for starters, which was ok and for mains I had sweet and sour chicken with egg fried rice which was revolting, the flavour was very unbalanced and very sour and the rice was a bit sticky, so not what you would expect really and for all that I ordered I payed £13:30, not worth it at all, my local Chinese takeaway (Wok Dainty) makes better quality food than this place and a lot cheaper too, so don't come here!!!

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RobynBeck
Leeds, United Kingdom
“waiting for an hour!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

I have been to this place very often and have a very good meal.
The crispy doughnut rice roll is so good.
I went there this evening and have to wait for the food for an hour even my table is the only table in the restaurant. When the waitress come out from the kitchen with the food that I think it was mine, BUT it's NOT, it's their food!. Then they all sat down and have dinner while I'm still waiting for my dish.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kate B
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Pleasant enough”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

I ate here with a group of friends on Saturday night having booked in plenty of time. We expected it to be a lot busier, given the time of year, but the restaurant was less than half full, and somewhat lacking in atmosphere. The service was friendly and quick enough, although we did have to ask to order our food. The menu is enormous and seemingly not available on-line to have a look at before visiting, which I personally like to do. We had 2 mixed platters between us to start with which were delicious, if a little hard to share - our fault. We chose a selection of 4 main courses and 3 portions of rice. There was loads of rice, with plenty left over. We all felt the main courses were ok, if a little samey, and not overloaded with the meat or fish elements of the chosen dishes. The bill, with 3 bottles of house wine (which was lovely) and 2 pints of lager was £105.00 without tip.

• Visited December 2013
Bramley, null, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not so good anymore”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have been to this restaurant many times, and have had some excellent meals, but on 2 occasions it was very disappointed.
Was around five when we entered, there where no other customers in, 5 staff members where moving around one table near the kitchen, they had seen us but not come over, eventually one member came over and seated us, "be back in a minute" the minute was more like 10, as the staff member joined the rest at the table and had their dinner, if they had explained this I would have returned later, the meal eventually arrived, the taste of the food must have been tainted with the bad service.
Another time I asked for water, the waitress who at best cannot raise a smile, brought me my water, the glass was dirty with lip and finger marks, giving a used glass to a customer is not acceptable, it was easy to see it was dirty, I will not be returning.

• Visited October 2013