“Delicious food, speedy service”
Review of Tong Palace - CLOSED

Tong Palace
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Quarry Hill
Reviewed September 18, 2012

After a Sunday afternoon shopping, my daughter and I noticed this restaraunt when walking back to the car and decided to give it a try!!!

On entering the decor is a bit tired but it was full, with an array of different people, so that gave me good vibes! The menu is extensive and as an interesting choice of dim-sum.

We ordered the chicken and sweetcorn soup and spring rolls as a starter, be warned the portions are big!! The soup was enough for two with some spare, and the chicken spring rolls very tasty and hot

For main course I chose the Honey chicken and my daughter the Beef in black bean sauce, we added egg fried rice and noodles............be warned the portions are big!!!

Both were two of the tastiest chinese dishes I have tasted in a long time, the noodles themselves made a tasty meal.

We were outfaced but my partner was very happy with his unexpected take out meal.

The service was excellent and the staff very friendly, I will definitely be visiting again.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I ate here on a Monday evening with a friend and we decided to eat from one of the set menus. At £23 a head this provided good value for money; enough delicious food to fill us both up and then take what we couldn't eat back with us in some takeaway tubs which they were happy to sort out for us! We had a delicious and fresh tasting duck soup to start (once we had added a touch of salt), a decent plate of appetizers such as prawn toasts and chicken Satay, some incredibly tender & crispy lamb pancakes (you had the choice between this and the classic crispy duck), then a good mixed selection of mains, including a 'wow factor' sizzling beef dish which added a bit of theatre to the meal, served with fried rice and noodles. We enjoyed all of this with a couple of reasonably priced Tiger beers. The service was also very good and those who served us did so with charisma and professionalism. All in all it was a very good experience and I would recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Has to be the best Chinese restaurant in Leeds and the only one of its kind left since The Lucky Dragon closed some years ago. Not the smartest looking Chinese restaurant but they never are bit scruffy decor and the carpet could do with replacing but hey where there to enjoy the food. The food is always good here but the menu £12.95 for 2 courses and a drink looked tempting and we wish we'd never tried it but stuck to the menu instead. The starter of mixed dishes was fried and fatty not much taste and the main course arrived sat on plates and put infront of us. Reminded me of school dinners. We felt the food was thrown at us and portions were very small. Next time avoid the offers and stick to the main menu where the portions are ample and the food is served on individual plates. Very disappointed meal.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

We dont know if the chef was having a day off or we chose badly. but we found this restaurant disappointing. We chose the meal for two persons.
The soups were dreadful and we left them. The next course was, the usual, prawn toast, ribs, spring rolls etc. All were homemade but very overcooked and hard.
The main courses were so much better and we really enjoyed the succulent meat dishes.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

They only serve egg custards on Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays! These custards are not like the ones you get at Greggs - manufactured,doughy and soggy! The puff pastry is hand-made (which takes a long time to prepare the multiple layers of dough) and the egg fillings are soft, sweet and delicious. They taste extra good if they are freshly baked. You will get 3 custards for 1 portion. I have been to many dim sum restaurants but none of them does better egg custards than Tong Palace.