“Valentine Dinner for Two”

Sweet Basil Chinese & Thai Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese, Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Sweet Basil is now no longer trading
Reviewed February 15, 2014

First time at this Chinese/Thai Restaurant. First impressions were very good. We elected for Chinese cuisine and were not disappointed. Starters - Prawn toast, Crabmeat and sweet corn soup, shredded crispy beef - all excellent - loved the "cucumber crabs" ! Sliced duck with ginger and Spring onion and King prawns in a spicy seafood sauce accompanied by crispy noodles and boiled and egg fried rice - very tasty and enjoyable. Dessert - toffee banana not available so just had Chinese Tea. House white wine very good. Car parking available across the road. Would definitely recommend.

There are newer reviews for Sweet Basil Chinese & Thai Restaurant

Reviewed January 27, 2014

There aren't many Chinese restaurants to choose from in Leeds but this is one of the best Chinese's I have ever been to and I will keep going back time and time again. I literally don't have a bad word to say about the place and you definitely have to try the prawn toast. I can't eat prawn toast from anywhere else now lol.
When I have been in for a meal, the service has been excellent and the waitresses always take time to chat to you and they are just really friendly! Also if there is something that isn't on the menu, they will accommodate your needs.

1  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed January 24, 2014

It's nice to be able to write a review with no negatives and this is one of the few times that I can.

The wife and I went one Thursday night, arriving about 8 after a drink in the Stew and Oyster just up the road. We didn't book but there was still plenty of room, probably about 10 tables taken which was nice as at some restaurants in Oakwood you can find yourselves alone.

Having read reviews on TA (thanks), we were curious to see how the Chefs Special would work out. The offer states that if you spend over £25 you can buy the chefs special for £1 which today was Crispy Beef. Its good that most phones have calculators nowadays, but if yours doesn't I hope your good at adding up

We ordered two starters, squid (£7.90) and ribs (£6.20) and also a main of sizzling lamb (£9.10) and egg fried rice (£2.90). This meant we had a total spend so far of £26.10. and having broke the £25 barrier could now buy the special for £1. This made our total food bill only £27.10 added to £13.50 for a bottle of wine made a grand total of £40.60.

We were both very happy with all of the food, in particular the squid which was cooked to perfection. I was pleased to see that the quality and portion size of the crispy beef had not suffered due to its £1 price tag. I've found in the past that some places compromise quality when using vouchers or special offers but that certainly isn't the case here,

Staff friendly and service was good. Service charge was as it should be, optional.

I'm not sure which nights or how long the Chefs Special is on for, but we will be returning regardless.

The restaurant is closed Mondays apart from bank holidays.

3  Thank bestyman
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We have been here several times and never had a bad visit ..
Very good food and excellent service ...
Just needs wifi to keep up with the tims

2  Thank Stephen J
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We ate here for my brothers birthday a couple of months ago and I can honestly say it was the best Thai/Chinese food I have ever eaten. The salt and pepper squid was gorgeous as was the seaweed. Had the seafood panang with sticky rice which was delicious. I have had panang at a couple of other restaurants and the Sweet Basil's was the best by far! The staff were really friendly and welcoming and brought out a sparkling ice cream for my brother at the end which was nice. Slightly out the way so we drove (we live in west park) but well worth it. Can't recommend this place enough!

1  Thank rlilian1991