“another excellent meal”

Cuisines: Chinese, Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Sweet Basil is now no longer trading
Reviewed October 25, 2013

A mixture of Chinese and Thai food all deliciously cooked and presented.Eaten here several times as a couple and in larger group and it never fails to disappoint. Generous portion sizes too. Good service and friendly staff, Reasonably priced and for all of those reasons we return!

1  Thank Mary842

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Went to Sweet Basil restaurant last night for a meal. The service was superb. The choice was Chinese or Thai food. We were a group of four and went for both options. We were certainly pleased with our choices. The food was delicious. The only negative was the soda water was flat but that won't stop us going back again. Well worth a visit!

2  Thank m k
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Great food, great service. The best Chinese restaurant in Leeds.
The stuffed chicken wings are delicious and the main meals are always spot on.
I highly recommend it!

1  Thank SteveKuneDo
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have already reviewed this restaurant this week, but asked Tripadvisor to remove my review, because I rethought my visit.So here goes... This restaurant is certainly very clean, and the service is fantastic, but now the food. My wife is vegetarian and usually finds that chinese food is the easiest to prepare, based on the fact that it is mainly vegetables (of course meat can be added) We usually find, even in takeaways that side orders consist of smaller portions of different types of chinese vegetables., this restaurant only seems to offer variations of rice and noodles. The overall menu is good, but one strange observation is that virtually everything has either sauce with it or sauce in it. This is something I have never experienced anywhere else. Food can usually be served "dry." ie no sauce. My wife ordered battered vegetables, some of the batter was raw inside. Now remember this is a small inner city restaurant which is not part of a larger group, and is not situated in Mayfair, but their prices do not reflect this. They did not charge for my wifes dish, without us asking, which is good, but considering we did not order a lot of food, and with my wifes £9.50 main dish not charged food, the bill was still very expensive.
Can I recommend this restaurant ? Maybe. There was nothing which shone or anything particularly poor, just not special at all. I have been to far better, which were far cheaper too. I get the feeling that Sweet Basil is trying to be something it is not, and cannot be, a high class restaurant .

sweet_basil_Roundhay, Manager at Sweet Basil Chinese & Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor reviewer,
Thank you for your feedback.
However, we strongly disagree with your comment regarding our value and felt we needed to respond to your comments and to redress a rather one-sided and, in our opinion, an inaccurate review. We also like to point out that you had described us as a "first class restaurant" in your first review, so we are naturally confused as to how we became "cannot be a high class restaurant' and "nothing which shone"? in your current review.

First of all, I am sorry that the dish your Wife ordered was not to your acquired taste, but we'd like to correct you when you said our vegetable dish costed you £9.50. It was actually priced at £6.90 and it is one of the favorites for nearly, even to the extent of all vegetarians. We have actually received numerous compliments for the light crispy yet crunchy batter.

It was regrettable that your vegetable dish was not served to you at our highest standard. But we can assure you that this situation happens far and few in between. Should you have informed us as soon as you found a problem with your dish, we would have gladly made another one for you. But instead, we had decided not to charge you for your dish. We can only assume anyone would find that satisfactory.

Between you and your wife you ordered:

4 starters
2 main courses
2 Sides
3 Bottles of Coke
2 Chinese Tea

The Bill should of came to £49.80 but due to the dissatisfaction of your wife’s Vegetable dish (£6.90)
The overall bill was reduced to £42.90. Upon using the finest ingredients, we believe that this is an extremely unbeatable good value.

We found your last comment rather harsh. Sweet Basil tries very hard to maintain and improve our standards. But we understand that everyone has different tastes, and opinions. Fortunately, Leeds has many restaurants to suit everybody, and we trust you will find satisfaction with better food and value somewhere else.

Best wishes

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Despite asking & seeking confirmation that my dishes did not contain mushrooms or that the base sauce did not contain mushrooms here I am suffering from having ingested mushrooms.

I asked 3 times & the waiter was so confident that they didn't. Lucky I am not hospitalised or worse.

4  Thank CatK2000