“Great meal at a relaxed pace”
Review of Engine House Cafe

Engine House Cafe
Ranked #439 of 1,894 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Business meetings
Neighborhood: Holbeck
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Wonderful experience and surroundings although not the easiest place to find. Food was really good and lots of choice. Service was pleasant although 'relaxed'. We spent 2 enjoyable hours eating beautifully presented, excellent food. The restaurant was fairly empty and although we were not in a rush, I'm not sure how it would have worked if we were more rushed and there were more diners. We will go back!

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Love this place. Excellent food, very friendly staff. Not pretentious. Would highly recommend! We went as couples and took some friends of ours for the first time. We all agreed it was fantastic. It deserves to be number one in Leeds!

2  Thank Matthew P
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Have been a couple of times to the Engine House and both visits have been great. It is tucked away in a quiter part of town, it's small and the decor is relatively utilitarian with exposed brick etc but the food and service are wonderful. The waitresses were charming, service was prompt, the place was full and buzzing on both occasions and the food was delightful. Praise to Kelly the chef and the front of house team, give it a go....

2  Thank Anders37
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We’ve eaten here three times in the last 9 month or so. Whilst the food can be great and the front of house staff are always delightful the two really aren’t as well coordinated as they need to be, and to be blunt it’s got worse with each visit.

Having been caught out on our second visit by the ‘signature’ pave of rump steak running out, last night we checked before ordering, all was well, we order.... ‘oh sorry no there are only 3 paves’ left’ one of our foursome switched to lamb. Starters came and were good although the terrine from the specials board was under seasoned. Then we waited and waited, why we waited given that at this point there were only three other table occupied is far from clear but when the mains arrived they’d managed to confuse the steaks orders offering a rare to the person who wanted a medium, it took two goes to get the message across but it went back for a bit longer in the pan. We started, she waited and waited... puddings came a bit quicker and were good. We did get an apology but that was all...not even a complimentary tipple with our puds.

The ambience of this place can be brilliant but given the competition the service isn’t good enough and judging by the footfall last night that’s not just my view.

4  Thank Peter R
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I have visited the Engine House several times now having been recommended by a friend and not once have I been disappointed, I believe in giving credit where credit is due and the Engine House is certainly deserving of it.

My boyfriend accompanied me on my latest visit, we received a warm welcome from a lovely woman whom I believe is the owner/manager. We were seated and made aware of that night's specials and given time to settle and choose our drinks. A friendly waitress took our drinks order and seemed to have a good knowledge of the wine list suggesting the Malbec as a particularly good red, she wasn't wrong!

The restaurant has a cosy, relaxed atmosphere with a buzz and is always close to full each time I visit - I would definitely recommend booking particularly for a weekend. The soft light from the candles on each table and around the restaurant create a warm glow which compliments the impressive brick wall interior and red beams and pillars. It is a beautiful and unusual space which is well maintained. Having read previous reviews, I'm at a loss as to why anyone would critique the interior design of what is clearly a grade II listed building of at least 200 years old. Perhaps the sterile, generic designs of any number of large chain restaurants are more suited to some tastes...

After agonizing over the mouth-watering menu (I could have eaten every dish!) I chose the deep-fried king prawns and my boyfriend, the Thai beef salad. Both dishes were superb, the prawns were indeed king-sized and meaty and proved a perfect match with the garlic mayonaise. The Thai beef was fantastic and full of flavour. For my main course I ordered the lamb with chunky vegetables and a red wine jus which was simply delicious. My boyfriend's perfectly cooked rump steak was a hit and melted in the mouth. Although incredibly full we couldn't resist trying the sticky toffee pudding for dessert - Amazing! The food at the Engine House is very reasonably priced considering the quality and skill that evidently goes into each dish.

The Engine House is a great find, situated in a burgeoning area of bars, pubs and apartments. Service is faultless, the food outstanding and atmosphere relaxed. I whole-heartedly recommend this charming restaurant to anyone looking for something a little different away from the city centre.

I know I'm already planning my next visit!