“Oh Gusto I so wanted to rave about you but you let me down” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gusto Restaurant & Bar - Cookridge

Gusto Restaurant & Bar - Cookridge
Ranked #149 of 1,790 Restaurants in Leeds
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Style served in the heart of Yorkshire. In the leafy Leeds suburb of Cookridge sits a 200-year old Olive tree, providing the perfect backdrop to the timeless elegance of Gusto. Add to that a superb wine and cocktail list and you'll get a real flavour of Italy combined with proper Yorkshire class.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Oh Gusto I so wanted to rave about you but you let me down”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

I have been here before and placed a review on Trip Advisor. As we have enjoyed eating here before I thought it would be really good to avail ourselves of the 50% off deal for January. It was busy when we went there for an late lunch on a Saturday. All began well, we were seated and received menus and the waiter soon returned to take our drinks orders and tell us that there were no mussels. This was the second restaurant i have been in this week that seemed to have struggled with obtaining these my young dining companion informed me it was because of the storms we were having. And as she is a teenager this must be so.

We took some time considering the menu but ordered drinks whilst we waited and a garlic bread to share. There was a bit of an issue with the drinks as we had to ask three times for said teenagers orange juice to be served. Indeed we had already had finished our first drinks when it did arrive.

Although I think the children's menu here is good, the five year old we had with us can be a bit finicky so we asked if we could have a plain chicken breast and some fries for him. The kitchen were happy to oblige and when it arrived it was nicely cooked and was still succulent and moist. He ate every last scrap. In my last review I was a bit negative about the lasagne here so I decided to give it a second chance but ordered it as a starter I am pleased to say that on this occasion I would have been happy to have ordered this as a main course and felt the lasagne had redeemed itself. My companions were also happy with their starters a warmed goats cheese salad, prawns and a home-made chicken liver pate. A good sized portion that was rich and tasty. The bread though was very crisp and we all felt that fresh crusty bread would be a nice option.

Our mains arrived after a bit of a delay and were a bit of a mixed bag all ok and some very good but others that didn't live up to expectation. The Americano pizza was soon devoured with another beer being required to combat the pleasant heat of the spicy sausage. Even the crusts were demolished when the five year old chastised the diner for not doing so! A cause of some amusement as his school pack up returns daily with the crusts left. The cod wrapped in Tuscan Ham was also warmly received and met with approval. I had a rump of lamb which I asked for pink but arrived medium and not very warm, but it was tender and tasty so i resisted the urge to send it back and cause any awkwardness or further delay. Our teenager ordered the mushroom rissotto. This was a bit disappointing as she had had risotto here before and had been 'well impressed'. This one didn't reach the same status. The rissotto was served as a base with the mushrooms on top rather than incorporated into the dish. Not sure this really worked. We also ordered a couple of side dishes (roast potatoes and courgettes fried in tempura batter. They were both fine but be aware the roast potatoes are in fact skin on new potatoes baked)

Our main gripe though after the length of time we waited was the desserts, or lack of them. Apart from Ice Creams there are seven desserts on this restaurants menu. We were initially told there was no sticky toffee pudding and no chocolate mousse. So, although two of us were disappointed as this is what we would have ordered we worked around this. Only for the waiter to return and let us a further one of the dishes we had ordered was not available either. This isn't very good. Over a 1/3 of the desserts not available and this early on a Saturday evening - as it seemed most people had booked I think the kitchen should have planned for this more effectively.

Would we return - yes, but I might ring ahead and pre book my dessert!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GustoC, Manager at Gusto Restaurant & Bar - Cookridge, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your recent experience at Gusto. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit and would choose to visit again. However you do highlight some issues that are of concern. Please can I urge you to contact me so that we can discuss each of the points you raise in turn so that I can assure each one is fully addressed. We do take this feedback seriously and we will follow up on the points you have made and take the necessary action. We sincerely hope that you will dine with us again and have the true Gusto experience that we aim to offer every visit, to every guest.
My contact details are liamclarke@gustorestaurants.uk.com by email or by telephone at the restaurant 0113 2672100. I hope to hear from you soon.
General Manager.

“Simply first class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Myself and family dined Gusto for my 40th birthday and had one of the best dining experiences I can remember. Service and food were top notch going above and beyond expected. I even got a birthday cocktail to celebrate. Will be returning soon. Thanks Gustos!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review. I am very happy to read that you and your party enjoyed your birthday meal in true Gusto style. We look forward to your next visit.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Massive prices with small portions”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Massive prices and small portions - the plates were huge with a small portion in the middle. Really not worth the money at all. Kids didn't even get a chef's hat as stated on menu

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I am sorry to read that you were disappointed on your recent visit to Gusto. All of our customer feedback is taken into consideration when we write our menus. Please can I ask that you get in touch with me to discuss portion sizes as this is something I am keen to investigate further. With regards to the children's hat, my sincere apologies, it is our standard procedure to offer all children dining a chef's hat. I can assure you that this will also be investigated and followed up with staff. My contact details are liamclarke@gustorestaurants.uk.com by email or you can call me at the restaurant 0113 2672100.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Leeds
“Gusto great again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

We visited gusto last week and were once again blown away. Great food anf the staff make it extra special! X

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GustoC, General Manager at Gusto Restaurant & Bar - Cookridge, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you very much for writing us such a fantastic review. I am delighted to read that you had such a positive experience with us and look forward to welcoming you again.

“Very poor experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

Nine of us went-four had ok meals-five poor-I had about six calamari-my wife empty mussel shells-she complained and got some more-plus knocked off the bill. I had veal something which was dreadful and three others had the limpest,palest pizzas you could ever imagine. You couldn't complain about the service-there wasn't any! Our waitress was rude to one of our daughters at the beginning of the evening and this attitude continued throughout .
We would not pay the £26.00 service charge and a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine
did not compensate-I've had a better dining experience chewing my nails.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your recent feedback I am only sad to hear on this occasion it did not meet yours and ours expectation. I am very keen to discuss the events of your visit and will be in touch in the near future once I have conducted a full investigation. I would very much like the opportunity to put this right. If you prefer to contact me directly my email and number can be found below.

Kind regards