“First Class Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Cross Keys

The Cross Keys
Ranked #191 of 1,811 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: All the warmth and friendliness of your favourite country pub, but right in the middle of Leeds. The Cross Keys is located in the up-and-coming Holbeck Village, near the thriving and stylish Granary Wharf. Originally a 19th-century inn, The Cross Keys combines a passion for local British produce, and a love for top-quality beer, wine and spirits. Brought to you by Leeds favourite North Bar, and embodying their dedication to enthusiastic and knowledgeable staff, gorgeous interiors, and a fabulous range.
North Shields, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First Class Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

Having arrived very early, on a Friday evening, we were welcomed by bar staff and ordered a soft drink. The new menu was brought to us and we explained we were waiting for our partners to arrive. The menu was interesting and varied. We were interested in the dishes on offer and when we asked for detailed information on the preparation the chef arrived and furnished us with the answers to our questions which made the experience all the more pleasurable. We all chose different options and nobody was disappointed. We will definitely be returning and recommending The Cross Keys to anyone wishing to have a fine but not extortionate meal in Leeds.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Jaki B
Crosskeysleeds, General Manager at The Cross Keys, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Hi,

Thanks for coming down to visit us. We are really glad your party enjoyed the visit.

We all appreciate the feedback and we do hope that you will come down and try our lovely food and beer again.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Had a very scrumptious Sunday dinner today at the cross Keys. Staff friendly as ever. Vege option was very tasty. My other half had the pork. Real Yorkshire puddings which were huge! Tasty puds. Don't often go out for Sunday dinner as my other half makes an excellent roast so nice to go out and have something that's as good as what we can do for ourselves xx

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Coopster75
Hello,

Thankyou for taking the time to review us on tripadvisor,

We are really glad that you enjoyed your visit with us on the sunday. Our Yorkshires are certainly my favorite.

We hope you can visit again soon

Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Extortionate - don't go if you're veggie!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

I recently went to the Cross Keys with a number of my work colleagues for a colleague’s leaving lunch. I am vegan and as there was nothing remotely vegan on the menu, the restaurant had been contacted in advance and they agreed to make me a mushroom burger. When the food came it turned out that the ‘burger’ was in fact a single mushroom in a bap with lettuce with a small green salad (rocket, cucumber, spring onion). For this I was charged £8.95 - not even including a drink!

A restaurant is a business and a business needs to make a profit but I was shocked at the price I was charged for such a paltry meal – there must have been £7 - £8 profit made. The fact that the price was advertised beforehand does not make up for the inadequacy of what I actually received. I did not complain at the time as I did not wish to create a scene nor sour my colleague’s leaving lunch. However, the exorbitant charge for this meal was totally unjustified. Fair to say, my colleagues were shocked and I was embarrassed at having been ripped off.

I did email a complaint but they did not respond. Disappointing.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Jonny C
Crosskeysleeds, General Manager at The Cross Keys, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Hi Jonny,

I hope you are well.

Thankyou for taking the time to review us on Trip advisor, we very much appreciate the feedback.

I would like to apologise that you did not enjoy your lunch with us.

Unfortunately we did not receive your email regarding this subject.

I would very much like to assure you that we do not want out customers leaving unhappy and i would love it if you would give us a chance to redeem ourselves.

I have sent you a personal Message with more details.

Again thankyou for reviewing, all comments are welcome and only help us get better as a business.

I look forward to your reply

York,England
“Long awaited trip”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

We waited a long time to visit this much hyped pub as our bookings tend to be spontaneous and the Cross Keys is always busy. Loved the warm greeting and the atmosphere. The music was righ to our taste...but the food was only average I'm afraid. My roast lamb was very fatty and the whole plate was a bit lukewarm. I also would have liked a few more veg as all we had were a bit on the mushy side. A side order of not overcooked veg would cost peanuts and enhance the overall experience. I know this revue goes against the majority view so perhaps we were unlucky this time.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank MrT1610
Hi,

Thankyou for taking the time to come and visit us and also review us on trip advisor.

We are gutted that you did not enjoy your experience with us as we know people can and thankyou for being impartial and constructive with your review. It is reviews like this that help us improve the finer details and consistency that we strive for to be the best that we can be.

I would love to invite you back to the pub to try us again.

I have sen you a personal message with further details.

Thankyou again

“Great Find.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Mum and I popped in for some lunch before a mammoth Xmas shopping session in Leeds. We were very warmly welcomed by a member of staff and asked if we wanted to grab some lunch. We were given a menu and a drinks order was taken straight away. The place had a very nice country pub feel, and the wood fires were burning. The place was nicely decorated in Xmas decorations and the Xmas music playing all added to the festive feel in the place. The menu was small but there seemed to be something of everyone. I had the fish finger sandwich and I think my Mum had the Chicken and Bacon sandwich. They were both beautifully presented and tasted delicious. The portion sizes were good. For two drinks and two sandwiches the bill was £16, so it's not the cheapest place to eat in Leeds, but overall the experience was worth it. We will be back and I have already told my friends to go and try the place out. Great job!!

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Ipodjs
Hi,

Thankyou for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

We are glad that you loved our little escape from the City.

This is exactly what we strive for. An escape from the Chaos where everyone can relax and enjoy themselves. It is great to hear when someone enjoys the break and i could personally sit in front of our fire all day long.

Further more we do hope that you visit us again soon.