“Fantastic food in a beautiful basement restaurant”
Review of Queens Grill

Queens Grill
Ranked #655 of 1,932 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: European
Neighborhood: Leeds City Centre
Description: Queens Grill is the elegant basement restaurant of the eponymous landmark Leeds hotel. The handsome building has been a hotel since the 1930s and not that long ago had £10 million lavished on it and its art deco grandeur. Now as modern as it is classically luxurious, Queens Grill features an impressive neutral décor and dark wood parquet flooring. In an affectionate nod to the building’s heritage, the kitchen prides itself on the traditional Yorkshire dishes on its world-class Modern European menu. We love the risotto of Morecambe Bay shrimps with salmon and garden peas; herb-crusted medallions of beef with potato fondant, creamed leeks and red wine jus; and rhubarb and apple crumble served with just a spot of ‘proper’ custard
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Ideal if you like peace and quiet whilst you dine, this restaurant is in the basement of the hotel and is absolutely stunning! The food was delicious and the service was perfect. We enjoyed everything about our evening here. Slightly pricey, but to be expected when staying in such a posh hotel!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I am writing this review to register my disappointment about the quality of service I received at the Queens Hotel bar on the 22nd October 20013, I had booked a table for two for afternoon tea at 12.00 in the bar, for a special occasion.
After arriving on time for the reservation, we were shown a small table which was crammed into a corner of the bar almost as an afterthought.
I was not very happy about this and asked if there was an alternative, my friend and I saw a table in a better position, a table near to the bar and we sat down.
Eventually a male member of staff came and proceeded to place crockery onto the table.
As he was doing this, I stopped him and informed him that the table had not been cleaned before he placed the crockery on it.
I asked him to remove the crockery and wipe the table which he did.
I was alarmed about the potential lack of attention to hygiene, I asked about the table cloth which was used on the table on a previous visit for afternoon tea. I was told that this was no longer available.
My friend and I waited to be approached regarding our preferences for tea or coffee but no one came to ask us.
However, other people were receiving tea and coffee .
As time was passing without being attended, eventually I had to asked a female staff member why our afternoon tea had not arrived, she replied that they were still making the sandwiches.
After waiting 25 minutes, I told her that we could no longer wait and that I wished to make a complaint to the manager.
The manager arrived apologised and asked if he could offer us some tea or coffee. I declined his offer, as we had been waiting too long and had other business to attend to.
It was very noticeable that the bar was full of business people and was busy and that afternoon tea was not a priority for the staff.
My previous visit to the bar for afternoon tea was enjoyable, but the service this time was very poor.
The staff were both disinterested and disengaged, I was really disappointed by the whole experience, as this was a Birthday present.
After being ignored for half an hour, the manager’s attempt at recompense of tea or coffee was frankly abysmal.
I would suggest that if the bar is busy that afternoon tea be shelved to accommodate business lunches .
in my opinion, the Queens Hotel is advertising an experience of afternoon tea which is neither enjoyable or accurate.
If they want to attract custom the experience of afternoon tea in the bar needs addressing.
The photograph on their website contained in visit Leeds shows afternoon tea with a white tablecloth, which is what my friend and I had rightly expected as part of the experience.
What should have been an enjoyable experience turned out to be a big disappointment.

2  Thank Joyce F
Reviewed October 28, 2013

loved the restaurant - fabulous choice at breakfast and dinner was delicious - staff very friendly and remembered who \I was the day after which I thought was amazing

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Food was ok when it eventually arrived but the choice was poor and the surroundings of the restaurant uninspiring. Waitress Sian was excellent however

Reviewed September 30, 2013

...but when you are the only one in the restaurant, its even harder. Never the best ambience to base a review on. I ordered a medium steak and I got it. It had chips and they were fine. The steak was a little tough but thats the cow's fault. Should have got out more. A couple of glasses of nice Malbec - it was all fine. Value, ok. Nice service, if a bit awkward with just the two of us in the room.