“Fantastic food, service and atmosphere”
Review of Kendells Bistro

Kendells Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Kendells Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 1,961 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed August 27, 2014

As I share the same surname as this restaurant, it was a must visit for me and my wife shortly after we got married. Having never visited before, I booked a table by phone, and shared a bit of small talk with the person on the other end regarding my name and the fact it would be our first official meal out as husband and wife.

When we arrived we were warmly welcomed by the maître 'd who congratulated us on our recent marriage. On taking our seats, two complimentary glasses of fizz were sent over to us with the regards of the restaurant, and this set the scene for the rest of what turned out to be a fabulous evening.

Service was great throughout, and our food was absolutely delicious. I loved the atmosphere and design of the room, and could frankly have eaten every single thing on the menu.

Following our starters and mains, we asked for the bill as we were pretty stuffed. Before it arrived however, a beautiful plate of complimentary desserts was brought over to us, with the message 'Felicitations Mr and Mrs Kendal' on it. We thought this was just the loveliest thing to have done, and combined with the earlier glasses of fizz, wonderful food and service, and lovely atmosphere in the restaurant, served to secure our custom for life.

I cannot wait to visit again when I am back in the glorious north. Thanks Kendells Bistro - you did great.

2  Thank Joe K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,860)

Reviewed August 25, 2014

It's a great experience to eat at Kendells. Menu's change daily and the whole menu us written on chalk boards, quite unique! Binoculars are provided to help you to read the boards. The quality of food was fabulous, however the menu is quite limited! It's strange that a good quality steak is simply 'steak and chips' for £24.95, with not a mushroom in sight!

2  Thank RachTruffle
Reviewed August 24, 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to go to Kendell's since I had not experieced a french restaurant before. Being Italian, i've always preferred trying totally different food from what I can get at home, but I heard so much from this place so I had to try!

Once arrived, we've been welcomed by this very nice lady right at the entrance, who showed us the table. I was instantly surprised by the relaxed atmosphere, the appearance of the restaurant - totally French - and the super friendly staff. My boyfriend showed me the menu too - a massive black board covering the wall in front of us. The waitress offered us a paper menu too, but since we could see from our table we just chose our courses: I opted for a "Croustade" - a mushroom pie with duck egg and truffle oil, covered with Bearnaise sauce, whereas my boyfriend opted for some "Boudin noir" - black pudding with apple purée and roast shallots. For main courses, I ordered some "Saumon en Croute", salmon rolled into puff pastry with spinach, cherry tomato and butter sauce. He chose some "Canard au Cassis" - duck Breast with Crème de Cassis, blackcurrants and lemon. The choice of these courses was very hard - i kept reading over and over again the menu to make sure the one I ordered was the best. In fact, the menu appears really wide and for any kind of taste: vegetarian, fish and meat, although the meaty dishes take most part of it- just as the French tradition does. My entrees was full of flavour: the combo mushroom-truffle is always perfect, and the duck egg seemed to perfectly counterbalance this full flavour match underneath.

My main course was equally excellent: the salmon was so tender, and I was happily surprised by the beautiful taste of fresh basil laying on top of my salmon, which added a nice and fresh hint to it. The butter sauce was also very nice and delicate, matching the cherry tomatoes and adding more flavour to the dish. The presentation of both dishes was also striking beautiful and it's always a plus when such brilliant food is served.

Once finished our main courses, we couldn't resist to the dessert menu: a wide choice of puddings to finish our meal. Île flotante - floating island - for me, chocolat fondant for him.

At the end of this meal we were both really satisfied - the bill wasn't too expensive either for what we had, the service was excellent, and everything was incredibly outstanding.

We'll certainly pay another visit!

3  Thank Sandra P
Reviewed August 24, 2014

I never even knew this place existed but what a hidden gem. It is beautiful and the food is amazing. The staff are all really nice and as it was my birthday they even gave me a complimentary glass of bubbly. My daughter tried snails and, usually a bit of a picky eater, she loved them. Definitely a place to return to. Fantastic night was had by us all.

2  Thank Nina W
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Had heard such great reviews about this place I was determined to visit.
Arrived for my 8.00 pm reservation to be told the restaurant was full and the table was not available. There isn't a waiting area in this restaurant so the waiter suggested we went to the bar next door and he would come and get us once the table became vacant. This he did.
The place was vibrant with lights that twinkled and candlelit tables...great ambiance.
Staff were lovely but the place clearly lacked organisation....we had to ask where our drinks were and when our main course was served we had to ask for the side dishes. Service was slow which I guess was due to the the place being packed out.
I had the mussels which were very bland and lacked flavour but the man course was superb.
I was upset to see fois gras on the menu knowing the suffering these ducks/geese go through...I think a restaurant can provide an extensive and exciting menu but at the same time bear in mind the welfare of animals.
The overall experience was good but for us there was room for improvement.

1  Thank ShamblesTeesside