“CONDUCT OF MANAGEMENT STAFF IS SHAMEFUL!! DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL.”
Review of The New Ellington

The New Ellington
Ranked #25 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I have been left no choice but to publically review this hotel due to the lack of communication from the hotel itself. This is first time I have ever been compelled to post a review of a hotel on trip advisor.

My husband and I stayed at the New Ellington in December 2013 to undertake some Christmas shopping. We found the hotel to be lovely and the staff to be very pleasant. As advertised on the website and offered to us when we arrived we parked our car in the hotel car park. Upon check out we were horrified to find a parking ticket on our car demanding a payment of £100! (We had already paid the car parking fee to the receptionist for the duration of our stay). We presented the ticket to the receptionist, who took the ticket from us and told us not to worry. We have subsequently been contacted by a private car parking company demanding that we pay them the fine. When we referred this to the hotel the management staff have refused to speak to us and have not responded to any communication sent to them. We have found this treatment by the hotel appalling and has ruined what was otherwise an excellent impression of the hotel. We have now received a letter from a debt collection agency on behalf of the hotels car park.

I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone and would warn anyone that staying here may result in undue harassment and unfounded demands for payment!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank hanmason
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Dear Hanmason

Thank you for sharing your view with the Trip Advisor community I was under the impression that the issue which occurred when you parked in our car park had been resolved.

I am therefore very surprised to see your comments on here four months later. I am conscious that the paper work we have differs to that of which you have received.

If you would like to contact me personally so we can address any outstanding matters.

I would also like to take this opportunity to share with the Trip Advisor community we no longer have an onsite car park but have a preferential rate with the local NCP car park.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Excellent hotel. 5 star quality without the massive price tag. Excellent quality. Knowledgeable staff, what more could you want? I will be staying here again for sure!

I paid a little extra for a Suite but it was worth it! See you again The New Ellington!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Mark O
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Dear Mark O

Thank you for choosing The New Ellington during your visit to Leeds and for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community.

The team were delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and that you found them helpful and knowledgeable.

I was pleased to read that you found us excellent value for money and the next time you are visiting Leeds please contact me personally so I can make your reservation for you

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed at this hotel over the weekend (25/4). I would advise potential customers to look through the reviews as there is a distinct theme.
The room would have been perfect, had it not been for the two huge stains on the bed headboard (see pic) which could easily have been rectified. Quite off putting.
We visited the bar on the Friday night. The bar man was quite unhelpful. Firstly he told us to take a seat and he would come and take our order. This never happened and we had to return to the bar. I had a vodka martini and my partner had a pint. We finished the evening with the bar man complaining when we said we didn't want the end of a bottle of port because it would contain sediment - and felt he was aggrieved that he had to get a new bottle. When the bill arrived it read £8.95 for the martini PLUS £5.95 for an additional vodka = £14.90 for one cocktail! I queried this and was told a martini took an extra measure and the price was right.
Feeling ripped off - I asked to speak to the duty manager the next morning. When I highlighted the price of one cocktail I was told "it's that sort of hotel". I said I though almost £15 for one drink was excessive. I wanted to give the manager the option of sorting this out quickly and locally. He told me he would look into my complaints and get back to me that day. I am still waiting.
Looking at all the complaints below and the replies from the management - it's quite clear that they believe everything to be the customer's fault. For the managers information - I went to Harvey Nichols 4th floor bar the same day as I spoke to him. A martini , a pint and the service charge came to 60p less than one martini in his hotel bar - and I received service with a smile.
I expect the wrath of the manager to be posted below - but if people read the reviews they will see a theme. I won't be staying here again and will choose somewhere where customer care is more highly regarded.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Travel_girl_Durham

Dear travel_girl_durham,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with other Trip Advisor readers. I am sorry that you felt that you had been ripped off, our pricing is competitive with other bars and restaurants, it is disappointing that you didn’t mention in your review the reason for the higher price. As you requested a Premium Martini, this went through as an additional shot of Vodka, hence the extra charge.

I am aware the duty manager did try and speak with during the second evening after you had been out during the day but didn’t see you before you left.

Thank you for your comments regarding the headboard as previously mentioned these are clean but due to the nature of the fabric some marks still appear. We have new fabric and these will be replaced over the coming months.

We approach any feedback seriously and this is always taken with actual context of the experience and stay with ourselves.

I am of course disappointed that you will not be returning to stay with and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

An intimate and at the same time luxurious hotel in a quiet street in central Leeds. Just what you want for a romantic weekend!
The hotel is beautifully decorated and the rooms well equipped and very clean. It is a small hotel, so in a way you feel special when you stay there. Excellent Yorkshire breakfast in the beautiful restaurant downstairs.
The New Ellington will definitely be my choice if I visit Leeds again.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bjuldal
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear bjoldal,

Thank you for taking the time to share with Trip Advisors users your positive experience with us during your recent stay in Leeds.

I was delighted to read that you thought we provided the perfect environment for your romantic weekend away.

I was pleased to read as were the breakfast team your comments about our Yorkshire Breakfast.

The next time you are in Leeds please let me know I would be delighted to make the arrangements of your stay.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed May 2, 2014

This is a pleasant hotel seemingly constructed from several red-brick houses in a terrace in central Leeds. Good food. Nice bars. Nice decor. A refreshing change from the usual chain hotel. A slight disadvantage is having to trust your car to valet parking.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank John L
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Dear HonestJohnBangkok,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our excellent food and beverage offering, as well as the unusual décor that differs us from other hotel brands.

In regards to your comments concerning valet parking this is not our usual standard and was something arranged by the company who invited you to their launch event.

If you are ever staying in Leeds again please let me know, and I will arrange the booking personally.

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was presented well but the service and dining experience (breakfast) was terrible. although the bedroom was nice, there was an empty fridge and no water available. after complaining about the breakfast we were told to leave our email address and the manager will contact us personally! (why couldn't they just refund us?) In my opinion this is not a four star hotel! it may appeal to the eye but the standards are very basic. it's not all about the look it's also about the presentation .

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tracey K
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Tracey K,

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay with, as much as we value feedback from our guests, it does have to be placed in the actual context of your stay. I understand from the team on duty that we accommodated your requests throughout your stay and prior to your arrival so I am unsure why you feel it was basic service.

I have e-mailed your party who stayed with us concerning breakfast and after speaking with other guests who enjoyed theirs coupled with testing the items myself, all I can assume it is more personal taste that you didn’t enjoy our freshly made food which is sourced from the highest quality local suppliers. I am also a little perplexed if the breakfast was so bad that your party ate all of it.

I am of course sorry that you will not be returning to the hotel and should you change your mind please let me know and I can make the arrangements personally.

Best Wishes

Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Not worth the money. Poor amateur service, the guy running the bar, also reception couldn't find the key to open up? Advertised as coffee machine in every room you would of thought there would be the coffee pods to go with it and the water was still in the machine from the previous guest. Shabby decor, not a real kingsize bed, 2 beds pushed together, not even bottled water in the room. The glasses on the drinks cabinet were extremely dusty like they had never been touched, mini bar? Only one small carton of milk which would be given at milk time in a primary school. Not worth the money, extremely disappointing, I would not re comment this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Michael S

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience, it is difficult to comment as we don’t know when you stayed with us, however I have checked the guest feedback for the last six weeks and there has not been anything mentioned like you have commented on.

I am not sure why you would think that we had two beds pushed together unless you have reserved a twin and moved the beds yourself.

The coffee pods are located in the draw under the machine and our housekeeping team fill the coffee machines with water daily for our guest’s.

We do provide fresh milk in our all rooms and this is a ¼ pint if you do require more than this can be requested as detailed in our Room Directory.

If you would like to provide me with details when you stayed and can look into this personally for you.

Warm Regards,