“Great hotel!”

Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Modern, boutique-style hotel. Well decorated and furnished. The room was very luxurious and had everything we needed for a comfortable stay. Very friendly staff. Quite difficult to find - tucked away from the main road, but this means it's nice and quiet. Still only 5 minutes from the train station. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Love_Sea_And_Ski
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Love_Sea_and_Ski,

It is always a pleasure to read comments from our guests who have truly enjoyed their experience and thank you for taking the time to share this with Trip Advisor readers.

The team were delighted that you found them friendly and they hope they have the opportunity in the future to look after you again.

Should this be the case please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make the reservation personally.

Stuart Ward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Was in Leeds on business and stayed here for a couple of nights. Refined, great interiors, good sized rooms and comfy beds. The breakfast was probably one of the best I've had in hotels - strongly recommend the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Centrally located too, about 5 minute walk from the train station.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Bivlar
Dear bivlar,

Thank you for kind comments concerning all aspects of your stay it was a pleasure in-particularly to read your comments concerning your breakfast and I have shared this with our breakfast chef.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and should this be the case please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make the reservation personally.

Surrey, UK
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Stayed here for a mature Hen Weekend. We had a private dining room for a wonderful dinner. The staff were extremely helpful throughout the weekend.
The only slight negative was that some rooms were not cleaned until very late in the day.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Cinn52
Dear Cinn52,

It was pleasure to look after you all on your Hen Weekend and it was a pleasure to serve you all in our private dining room.

Please accept my apologies if you felt the rooms weren’t serviced earlier in the day but after speaking with Housekeeping we thought you still in your room’s midday not shopping as we discovered.

I do hope you have a special wedding day and if you do considering returning in the future please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make the reservation personally.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I had the pleasure of holding my birthday celebrations at The New Ellington back in February. We hired one of their private rooms and arranged a fixed menu for a small party. It was a fantastic evening and the staff could not have been more helpful or accommodating. The food was delicious and the cocktails were lovely too. I would highly recommend this hotel to those looking to hold a celebration or party in a small, intimate environment!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank FPaynter
Dear FPaynter,

Thank you for sharing your experience and it was delighted that you enjoyed your birthday celebrations.

The team and I remember looking after you and were extremely pleased that you had a memorable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back for future celebrations!

Culgaith, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Stayed at this hotel on Friday night, impressed as soon as we walked in! Lovely reception area and Gin Bar! Our room was gorgeous, with a window looking over the gin bar area and a massive bed (which was so comfortable). Didn't have a meal here but did have a drink, there wasn't any staff behind the bar but as soon as the reception saw us she made sure someone came to serve us. The drinks were lovely and not to badly priced. We only stayed one night, my only issue would be that there are no outside windows - so you have no idea what the weathers doing until your already going out. It wasn't an issue for us as we were going home - I am sure the reception staff are more than use to advising people on weather when they are staying in this room! Lovely hotel and we will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Binksy2014
Dear blinksy2014,

It was a pleasure to share with the team your enjoyable experience with us and thank you for sharing this with the wider trip advisor community.

We do have five rooms which overlook our Gin Garden. If in the future when you stay you would prefer not have an internal room, then please let us know.

I am delighted that you are considering returning and when this is the case please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make the reservation personally.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2014

In March 2014, whilst visiting my son, who is studying Jazz Saxophone at Leeds College of Music, I treated myself to a night at the New Ellington and was delighted by the experience, especially the hotel's jazz theme, which is reflected in the décor and the background music.
Conveniently located just 10 minutes' walk from Leeds railway station, I found the service to be very good - for example, a missing bath towel was supplied within two minutes - and all of the staff with whom I came into contact were polite and helpful.
My room was clean and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in. I would echo the comment about the overly-complex bath/shower tap arrangement but, with a little experimentation I was able to luxuriate in a hot, deep bath on the evening of my arrival and an equally hot shower the next morning.
The food (including sandwiches delivered to my room) was tasty and well-presented and the 'Yorkshire Breakfast' was excellent. On the evening of my arrival, the Wi-Fi was not working in the hotel - for which the duty manager personally apologised - but it had been restored by 07:00 the next morning. It appeared that during road-works at the other end of York Place, a digger had sliced through the BT line!
All-in-all, I would certainly recommend the hotel, especially if - like me - you are a jazz fanatic.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel (i.e. facing on to York Place) were fairly quiet - certainly overnig...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank bear_in_town
Dear bear_in_town,

Thank you for sharing your stay with the Trip Advisor community I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and that you enjoyed our luxurious beds of which we are renowned for.

I have taken your comments on board concerning the shower and even though there are instructions in the bathroom we have moved them so they are more prominent.

It was a pleasure to read your comments about our breakfast and I was delighted that you found it excellent.

When you are next visiting your son and wish to stay with us please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make the reservation personally.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We arrived at the end of March to stay for a night. My friend did feel the room needed a better clean but i noticed that the bath was grainy as if someone had a bath previously and the bath
wasn't cleaned properly. We felt that the shower/bath system was very complicated.Check in was at 2pm but our room wasn't ready till later on. We did sleep very well but thought there should be bottled water in the fridge and more coffee and tea sachets. The breakfast however was very poor. There wasn't enough fruit for everyone and there was a small selection of danish pastries and other French bread. The coffee was cold and the americano coffee was like tar so i gave up. The small English breakfast and the large English breakfast the egg was raw and the cumberland sausages were not cooked. Think the actual chef needed to buy in better supplies for a boutique hotel. Think the receptionist should inform people about breakfast time and where it is as we had to ask. Our experience was not as bad as Fran below as she could have had our room to put on her wedding dress instead of main reception!! Yes people do talk and share experiences so wake up new ellington manager as if you keep on giving a mediocre service you will have to keep advertising onto websites to sell your accomodation.

Room Tip: we went for executive suite
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank jopa65
Dear Jopa65,

Thank you for taking the time to share with the Trip Advisor community your recent stay with us and I am truly sorry that it didn’t meet with your expectations.

I am disappointed that you didn’t mention any of your concerns during your stay and that you thought the room wasn’t cleaned. I am unsure why you would want to stay in a room which wasn’t cleaned and if you would like to let me have further details I can speak to our housekeeping team.

Turning to your comments concerning breakfast, we only use the highest local produce so I was surprised to read your comments concerning the quality. I was also surprised to read your comments concerning the sausages as we do not serve Cumberland sausages.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention and should you wish to stay with us in the future please contact me personally and I can make the arrangements for you.

arm Regards,