“Very good, working hard to be good”
Review of The New Ellington

The New Ellington
Ranked #12 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Melbourne, Australia
“Very good, working hard to be good”
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

This is the second time I have been here, this time much better room on the top floor, mini suite, good value, nice style. Food was very good and service ok. Odd check in procedure but everyone has their own ways. Very comfortable bed BTW. I would return and even drop in for a lunch if I was in the area.

2 Thank Matt A
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Matt A,

Thank you for taking the time to share with the Trip Advisor community your experience with us.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our suite and that you found our bed comfortable. I am a not sure what you found odd about our check in procedure and if you can let me have further information I can look into this for you.

If you are in Leeds area again and wish to stay with us please let me know and can make the arrangements personally.

Stuart Ward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

I liked the location of this hotel, it's design package, the good materials and above the very good bed. Breakfast was simple but service was very good. Downsides are as described by others the room without outside window and the lack of water in the fridge. All together a good choice.

1 Thank Lekker001
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear lekker001,

Thank you for choosing to stay with The New Ellington during your time in Leeds and for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor Community.

I was delighted as always to read that you enjoyed our beds and that you found our service professional.

We do water on request, however as a result of your comments and customer feedback this is now in all our rooms as a standard.

Should you wish to stay with us again then please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make the arrangements of your stay.

North West England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2014

My husband found The New Ellington on Tripadvisor and booked two double rooms for a future date. I completed their online contact form about booking a table for dinner the evening of our stay and asking about dietary requirements. I had no response so a few days later I completed the form again and still got no reply. I like to have a written correspondence trail so if anything goes wrong during our visit, I have something to refer back to. You have to ask why bother having an online contact form if no-one replies or indeed is it monitored. I decided to make contact via the website email address on the 10th March and finally received a response from the deputy manager, no apology just that the online forms usually go straight to him but he would have a word with chef and get back to me. Eight days later having heard nothing from him, I decided to cancel the rooms and book elsewhere. If they are unable to address a simple dietary request, what chance is there of them actually getting it right on the night. I emailed the deputy manager to inform him of my cancellation, but no reply once again, obviously customer service is not something The New Ellington aspires to.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Veganolive1
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear oliveoyl1,

I have personally reviewed your reservation with us and cannot trace any online form being received from yourself.

I am aware of the correspondence between my Deputy and yourself, due to the fact we change our menu on a regular basis as we use locally sourced seasonal foods, my Deputy informed you that he would be in contact nearer the time on your stay to finalise arrangements.

Additionally I understand that our Guest Relations team have called you to ascertain if you have any other requirements during your stay, and we haven’t received anything back from that particular call.

I am of course disappointed that you will not be staying with us and should you change your mind then please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make the arrangements of your stay.

Leek, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I have been looking for a luxurious hotel to surprise my boyfriend with for his birthday this Friday and this one seems to tick all the boxes, I booked the hotel last week and today received a courtesy call from the hotel to ask if I have any special requirements,we are both unable to eat wheat so the lady suggested rye bread.I am really impressed with this touch, we usually just expect that our diets cannot be catered for,I am even more excited about our stay this Friday and hope I am able to leave a 5* review! Excited!!! Meg

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Meg W
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Meg W

Thank you sharing with the Trip Advisor Community your pre-arrival experience we do try and anticipate guests needs prior to their arrival and I am pleased that we will be now able to cater for your dietary requirements.

We look forward to welcoming you both this Friday.

Scotland
Reviewed March 14, 2014

First of all I feel that I kind of feel quite harsh for rating the hotel 4 rather than 5, but it's kind of a challenge to them - you are very close to being excellent, and a few little touches would make it an excellent hotel.

I had asked in advance for a quiet room but had slight trepidation when advised at check in that I had an internal room. I was a bit more wary when I opened the door and saw the reality of no window, but ultimately I had a great night sleep, the only thing I heard from my room all night were the folk across the hall entering their room late evening. The room didn't feel at all claustrophobic once I got used to it.

My bed was enormous (two single bed bases joined together) but one thing I did notice - picked up from The Hotel Inspector! - was that there was no mattress protector/topper which I thought was pretty much standard in all hotels and b&bs these days. Pillows and bedding were great.

As has been mentioned before, the only thing in the minibar was a milk, whereas a water would have been much more welcome. One thing for the hotel to maybe note is that the hotel guide in the room said that the minibars are fully stocked - this is maybe needing to be updated.

I didn't quite get to grips with the heating, there was no display of the temperature at which the air con/heating was set at so I wasn't really sure what I had it set at. Not a problem though, fiddled with heating/aircon for a while til it reached optimium temperature then just switched it off for the night.

I'm being hyper-critical with this review as I would love to see it improve and get to where it should be. There were some splatters on both the inside and the outside of the bathroom door which looked like the aftermath of some vigorous toothbrushing, but may just have been cleaning products, plus there were a few marks on the upholstery, both on the chair and above the bed. Nothing bad, but a wee bit of a let down from the high standards to which the hotel is aiming.

After a great sleep, I went for breakfast. I can quite confidently say that this is the best hotel breakfast that I have had in a long time - sausages and bacon seemed to be of excellent quality and the freshly squeezed juices were wonderful. Sadly I couldn't make the most of it as I had gorged on muesli and a croissant beforehand...

Overall I have to say that this is potentially an excellent hotel and I would certainly consider visiting if ever in Leeds on a leisure trip, and would almost certainly stay here if in town again on business. Oh, one last thing - as someone in town on business, I always prefer a hotel to have a gym. Maybe this isn't the market that the hotel is aiming for, but if so, I would suggest considering sacrificing a small area (even a room) to stick some gym equipment in, even if only a treadmill and a couple of bikes and a cross trainer or something.

3 Thank quizzer
Dear Quizzer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community. I was delighted to read that you had a good night sleep in our luxurious beds of which we are renowned for.

Please accept my apologies for the oversight with some aspects of your room this is not our normal standard our housekeeping staff are trained to a very high standard, and are made extra vigilant of the points you have raised can only put down the points you made down to human error, something that we do occasionally fall foul.

On a positive note, I was delighted to read that this was the best cooked breakfast that you have had when staying in a hotel. Next time you should try an evening meal!

If you would like to stay again, please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make the reservation personally.

Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

First off, the rooms in this hotel are very clean and comfortable. The bed is huge too - no problems sleeping here! The only downside is that my ground floor room faced an alley and a loading bay for the adjacent building which could get very noisy. Parking is in a local ncp but you do get a reduced rate.

4 Thank Damien W
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear Damien W,

I have taken on-board your comments concerning the office building behind us and have spoken with our neighbours concerning their delivery times to reduce the impact of city centre noise.

I was pleased that you left fulfilled with our Yorkshire Breakfast and should you be in the Leeds area again please contact the hotel direct to arrange your reservation.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

I really wanted to like this hotel arriving with high hopes and on the face of it this should have been possible for it to live up to these as it has a lot going for it; good central location for station, shops and restaurants, stylish public areas, bar with more gins that I knew existed, good rooms that are comfortable and quiet even when the hotel was full and a staff who are eager to try to please and help where they can. So what was wrong? The appearances are all of a weak management system so that when you scratch the surface all is not as it should be: weak housekeeping with lack of attention to detail (poor cleaning and restocking), an empty restaurant for dinner with no atmosphere & average food, an appalling breakfast service with a long wait to find that the breakfast that was served was missing most advertised ingredients with unacceptable and unannounced substitutions (this was not charged for following our complaint). The poor staff spent their time apologising for system errors at every turn and endeavouring to justify things that should not occur in a well run hotel. The alternatives in Leeds for a central boutique hotel are limited but if you stay there I would ensure your expectation are low and that you plan to eat all meals elsewhere.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank X1LKP
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear X1LKP,

Thank you for taking the time to share with the Trip Advisor community your recent stay with us.
I was pleased to read that you found our location convenient for your stay in Leeds and that you enjoyed our unique offering of Gin which currently stands at 120 bottles.

I was sorry to see that you didn’t feel that we didn’t offer the level of service you were expecting despite your comments concerning the friendliness and eagerness of the team.

I understand that you raised your disappointment concerning breakfast and I did on Monday morning write to you personally concerning your comments on breakfast, I wasn’t however aware that you weren’t happy with other aspects of your stay.

I am disappointed that these weren’t brought to our attention during your stay as we wouldn’t wish for anyone staying with us to not be unhappy with any aspect of their stay.

I will of course investigate your comments with the team on duty and should you wish to stay with us the next time you are in Leeds please contact me personally and I can make the arrangements.