“5th visit and it won't be our last”
Review of The New Ellington

The New Ellington
Ranked #17 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel 5 times and the service and standard has been excellent every single time. The general manager even came and spoke to us on check in which is such a rarity in this day and age, a really nice touch. Rooms are immaculate and the beds are just simply amazing. The bar is a great place to relax and a reasonable price compared to some of the new places in Leeds. All in all a great place and we are looking forward to the relaunch of the restaurant which hopefully isn't too far away.

Room Tip: I booked direct and got a free upgrade
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank svk4190
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear Svk4190,

Thank you for taking the time to share with Trip Advisors users your positive experience with us during your recent stay in Leeds.

It was a pleasure to meet you and your partner again and I was delighted to see you back for your escape weekend.

I am glad that The New Ellington provides you with not just a great location in the city but the extra touches too.

We look forward to welcoming you back in March.

There are newer reviews for The New Ellington

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I am just coming to the end of a 3 night stay in this hotel on business. Lots of good things but the number of niggles out weigh them given the room price in the competitive Leeds hotel market. On the plus side bed, bedding bathroom and breakfast were good. On the down side......
They demanded a £50 credit card deposit even though the firm was covering the bill in case I trashed the room! Made me wonder at the type of clientele they attract oh and when you check out it will be two working days before it's refunded.
When I checked in my room which had no window and overlooked the centre of the hotel had no tv remote , no hair dryer and one coffee sachet.
Clearly a room of last resort it featured a dead orchid in a pot for my entire stay.
My colleague who stayed the same three nights enjoyed three different rooms as on a daily basis first his safe, broke and was unrepairable and then on the second room the door lock malfunctioned.
Neither of us got an apology or so much as a complimentary drink.
So while the concept of the hotel and the fabric is good attention to detail lets it down at every turn, there are better business traveller experiences in Leeds for the same price, must do better if they want compete......

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank holidaygirl46
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Dear HolidayGirl46,

Thank you for taking the time to share with the Trip Advisor community your recent stay with us.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our breakfast offering coupled with our stylish bathroom and luxurious bed linen.

I am sorry that you didn’t enjoy the room which was allocated. We do have five rooms which have internal windows overlooking our Gin Garden of which is situated under a glass roof.

This offers an abundance of natural daylight. Had we been aware after you check in that you didn’t like the room we would have moved you to a different room.

It is standard as with the majority of hotels to take a swipe of your credit or debit card when you check in for any extras such as Food and Beverage. This is refunded on the day you check out but it can take from 2 – 7 days to be processed by the banking system of which we have no control over.

We do confirm this when your reservation has been made and I have spoken with your travel company to ensure this is more prominent on their confirmations.

Please accept my apologies for the missing items in the room. I have spoken with my Head Housekeeper who also sends her apologies and additional training is taking place to ensure that this does not occur again.

I was aware of your colleague’s issues and I have already wrote to him personally and unfortunately the issue with the lock and the safe was something beyond our control, which I am sure you will appreciate can occur despite regular maintenance. These have now been replaced.

I wasn’t aware of your issues when you checked out as nothing was mentioned. I do personally contact any of guests who have any negative comments concerning their stay but can only do so when I am aware of them.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The New Ellington and demonstrate the excellent levels of service we are known for and should this be the case please contact me personally and I would be delighted to arrange the details of your stay.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed for New Years Eve.On arrival check in was quick & easy,and our room was very pleasant with a huge bed & tasteful decor.Breakfast the following morning was very nice with good service.
Downsides no car park only street metered parking or NCP discount parking 5 mins walk( not ideal when raining).Checkout was slow & still awaiting my receipt to be emailed as they were out of printer ink.
However these small points would not distract us from stopping here again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gary L
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Garry L,

Please accept my apologies for not been able to issue your receipt due to a technical problem with the printer. I understand that this has now been e-mailed to you.

For future special offers or to keep in touch please like us on Facebook so you can be the first know what’s happening at The New Ellington.

We look forward to welcoming you back in 2014.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

The first time we stayed in The New Ellington a couple of years ago, we were pleasantly surprised. Great service, very clean room, relaxing bar, great food and overall good service. There was an issue with the hot water / boiler system which to be honest, didn't affect us. We were still grateful that the duty manager mentioned it. Honesty is always appreciated. Last new years eve, a B list celebrity was also staying there and woke most of the 3rd floor up shouting and screaming at 5:45. This was not dealt with by the management and an apology had to be extracted from the staff. The room seemed a bit tired since our last visit also.
This new years eve, 2013, we had the same room. One of the bathroom lights still isn't working, 12 months on. The bed mounted reading light on the left side still won't hold it's position and just drops downwards. The lighting in the room, full stop, is appalling. Energy saving bulbs are not the best choice in EVERY light fitting.The shutter blind (right hand side) takes two people to open/close it. The Espresso machine had evidence of previous use without cleaning. The room in general is NOT 4STAR as advertised. To top the lot, the Aircon system chose to blow cold. The was reported by phone to Guest Services within 30 minutes of checking in. I explained the fault and even relayed the error code showing on the digital display so as to assist a quick result. (E16 Sanyo system). A member of staff visited the room and assured me he would look into it. NO RESPONSE from him one hour later. On leaving the hotel for a dinner appointment having showered and changed in a cold room, i asked at the reception desk for an update. A different staff member assured me he would look into it..... On returning from dinner, i asked him again, still no news and once again assure me he'd look into it. Having had a glass of wine in the bar, we decided to pop to the room to make Happy New Year calls to family members when we were chased by the original member of staff who checked the Aircon fault to make sure we weren't trying to dodge paying for the wine..... Had he taken the time to check, he would have seen there was still wine left in our glasses. I took the opportunity to ask him how he was getting on with our Aircon system....... Still broken. We decided not to return to the bar... The evening was ruined. The morning of New Years Day, the room was still cold. Breakfast is a plus point it has to be said. Until the couple who arrive into the restaurant 10 minutes after you get their food (exactly the same order as ours) before you.... Toasted brown bread requested, mixed white and brown delivered..... Check out, in every hotel, be it in Lewisham or Lucerne always has the words "how was your stay" in the conversation somewhere..... Not today!!! The lady with blonde hair in her early/mid 50's on the reception couldn't be bothered with that little detail..... This review might have taken place privately had she been bothered. All in all, the service and response to issues are paramount in hotels. Things happen beyond the control of staff, but how these things are dealt with is what i remember when i reflect. Very Very Poor.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Graham H
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Graham H,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. I am disappointed that you didn’t enjoy your stay as much you have with your previous ones and was particular upset to read that when you did stay with us in 2012 that there was elements of your stay your didn’t enjoy.

I have checked with our guest feedback from when you stayed in 2012 and there was no mention of noise from other guests on the floor.

As with other hotels we can occasionally suffer with inconsiderate guests of which we deal with in the most appropriate way.

Had you let us know you were having trouble sleeping we could have tried to remedy the situation by moving you to another room which may have improved the situation.

Please accept my apologies is you felt our lighting was not adequate as a hotel we are committed to reducing our carbon foot print. I have since reviewed the energy light bulbs and increased the wattage.

We unfortunately did experience a major failure with our air conditioning units to several rooms which despite our rolling maintenance program couldn’t have been prevented. We did arrange for this to be investigated how ever given the time of year we were unable to receive the parts until the 2nd January 2014.

Please accept my apologies for the general service which has you know from your previous stay is not our normal level of service and the team have taken your comments on-board.

I have already written to you on the 2nd January 2014 with my personal apologies before you have posted your review.

Graham H I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The New Ellington in 2014 to demonstrate the excellent levels of service we are known for.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed at the New Ellington for 1 night in Dec. as we were going to the Arena for a show. The staff were friendly, the service was excellent and the room was lovely. The hotel is approx. 7/8 mins. walk from the train station and easy to find.
We would definately stay again as our experience was superb.
If I really wanted to nit pick I would have preferred brighter lighting in the restaurant at breakfast Probably an age thing! The food was excellent. Well done to the management team and colleagues.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank molly043

Dear Molly043,

I was pleased to read that you found our location convenient both for the Train Station and the new Leeds Arena of which many people attending events or even performing are finding the same.

We look forward to welcoming you back in 2014.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

After being put in the Premier Inn City Centre on my first visit to Leeds during the previous week, I found this "custom hotel" and stayed there for one night on 19th December. I somehow ended up in their largest room on the top floor! As I only spent one night there, I cannot say I had the full experience of the hotel. However, it was quiet and convenient to the city centre. The bed is large and perfectly firm and the bed linen is heavenly. The breakfast was also very good.

I was happy enough with the hotel to make me book it for the two weeks in January when I'll be back in Leeds and I must say that I am looking forward to it. If only I could get the same large room :-)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Dragan J

Dear Amex Traveller,

I was pleased to read that you were delighted in finding us compared to your previous hotel and that you found our bed and bed linen enjoyable and relaxing of which we are known for.

It was a pleasure to be able to take your reservation for January and we look forward to welcoming you back in 2014.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We are due to arrive in England (from Australia) on 20th December, staying for 6 nights in Leeds. In anticipation I have been reading New Ellington Hotel reviews since the beginning of August when our travel agent booked it for us, and was looking forward to a great stay.
I emailed the hotel last week to check on parking and the availability of breakfast on Xmas Day. To date I have had no reply from them - however our travel agent rang us on Friday 6th December to inform us that THE HOTEL IS CLOSING OVER CHRISTMAS!
Why would they leave it until 2 weeks before guests are due to arrive before deciding this???
We had arranged for several of my husband's friends and family to come to the hotel for a drink in the Gin Bar, and maybe a meal, over the time we were staying. We were so looking forward to it.
Now our travel agent has been left to find us another hotel to book into in the run up to Xmas. Definitely not on!
We have stayed at the Crowne Plaza, Leeds for the last few years and been very happy with it, but thought we'd have a change. Why couldn't the New Ellington do me the courtesy of replying to my email?! I do wonder if I had not contacted them and jogged their memory, would we have turned up tired and jet-lagged on 20th to be told that they wouldn't be open for our full stay?
The website is still advertising Xmas and New Year packages, lunch, dinner etc. Be aware that this does not involve the days around Christmas and New Year! Only by clicking on the booking form does it tell you that they are shut from 23rd - 28th and again on 31st and 1st.
So disappointed with you, New Ellington, Leeds!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Bluesteel
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear Bluesteel,

Thank you for your comments concerning your potential reservation over the Christmas period I am not aware of any reservations that we have taken for the Christmas period as you are unable to reserve any of our rooms for these dates and this has been the case for the last 18 months.

Our Christmas and New Year details on the website refers to our special Christmas menu for dinner during December and nothing concerning dates over the actual Christmas holidays.

I am sorry if your travel agent has given you the impression that you have rooms reserved but I can assure you that they wouldn’t of been able to book them with us.

If you can let me have the full details I will liaise with your Travel Agents to ascertain the reasons why they misinformed you.

Warm Regards,