“Badly Let Down”
Review of The New Ellington

The New Ellington
Ranked #27 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We are due to arrive in England (from Australia) on 20th December, staying for 6 nights in Leeds. In anticipation I have been reading New Ellington Hotel reviews since the beginning of August when our travel agent booked it for us, and was looking forward to a great stay.
I emailed the hotel last week to check on parking and the availability of breakfast on Xmas Day. To date I have had no reply from them - however our travel agent rang us on Friday 6th December to inform us that THE HOTEL IS CLOSING OVER CHRISTMAS!
Why would they leave it until 2 weeks before guests are due to arrive before deciding this???
We had arranged for several of my husband's friends and family to come to the hotel for a drink in the Gin Bar, and maybe a meal, over the time we were staying. We were so looking forward to it.
Now our travel agent has been left to find us another hotel to book into in the run up to Xmas. Definitely not on!
We have stayed at the Crowne Plaza, Leeds for the last few years and been very happy with it, but thought we'd have a change. Why couldn't the New Ellington do me the courtesy of replying to my email?! I do wonder if I had not contacted them and jogged their memory, would we have turned up tired and jet-lagged on 20th to be told that they wouldn't be open for our full stay?
The website is still advertising Xmas and New Year packages, lunch, dinner etc. Be aware that this does not involve the days around Christmas and New Year! Only by clicking on the booking form does it tell you that they are shut from 23rd - 28th and again on 31st and 1st.
So disappointed with you, New Ellington, Leeds!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Bluesteel
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear Bluesteel,

Thank you for your comments concerning your potential reservation over the Christmas period I am not aware of any reservations that we have taken for the Christmas period as you are unable to reserve any of our rooms for these dates and this has been the case for the last 18 months.

Our Christmas and New Year details on the website refers to our special Christmas menu for dinner during December and nothing concerning dates over the actual Christmas holidays.

I am sorry if your travel agent has given you the impression that you have rooms reserved but I can assure you that they wouldn’t of been able to book them with us.

If you can let me have the full details I will liaise with your Travel Agents to ascertain the reasons why they misinformed you.

Warm Regards,

e: stuartward@thenewellington.com

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We managed to park on the same street, between 6 pm & 8 am it was only £2. We topped up £2.60 the next day for an extra hour parking. A friendly & efficient check in. We struggled to connect to the internet & the room telephone didn't work. Phoning from our mobile the Receptionist explained that we needed to use any hotmail account email address to connect to the hotel wifi. We didn't want to set up a hotmail account so we didn't bother using the internet. A member of staff came to fix the phone quickly & said it would work within 5 minutes. However it didn't work at all. This wasn't a problem for us. There was a noticeably wonky table in our room. The coffee pod machine didn't work (we did follow the instructions). The ironing board cover was heavily stained. The drawer containing tea & coffee etc. was grubby. There were scuff marks on the painted walls. The fridge wasn't very cold. The room, although opulently decorated & cosy felt a little tired. The bath took way too long to run, although the shower was superb. The air conditioning & bathroom fan were silent and as the hotel is situated on a quiet road, we had a very good nights sleep on a large comfy bed with lovely pillows & quilt. We enjoyed a cocktail in the bar & the food for dinner in the restaurant downstairs was excellent, and we would come back for the food alone. We enjoyed breakfast but the continental buffet didn't offer a huge selection. The cooked breakfast was very good as was the tea & coffee but the toast was like a biscuit. The breakfast room was very warm & airless with Radio 2 blasting out. We loved the decor in the hotel, very stylish, with subtle Christmas decorations. A shame the lack of attention to detail in the room made our stay good but not perfect.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sandra T

Dear Sandra T,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The New Ellington. constructive criticism is always welcomed from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to share them with the Trip Advisor community.

I have reviewed the comments with the team you have made coupled with the comments from the Mystery Shopper Report you also completed .

I am sorry if you felt the rooms were looking tired we are in the process of completing a soft refurbishment of our rooms which will be completed in early part of 2014.

I am unsure why you couldn’t connect to the Wi Fi as our other guests were able to access the Wi Fi network that evening.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the size and comfort of our beds and that you had an enjoyable experience in the restaurant.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Stay arranged by work, so not sure of the cost or value for money. However was a very Nice hotel and centrally located. Modern and clean rooms. Nespresso coffee machine, wall mounted TV with options to plug in your gadgets. Bed was huge and very comfortable, room was quiet. Very nice breakfast.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Legoman1977,

Thank you for taking the time to share your views with the trip advisor community.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the size and comfort of our beds of which we are gaining quite reputation in the city for and that you found our rooms clean and well presented.

For future special offers or to keep in touch please like us on Facebook so you can be the first know what’s happening at The New Ellington.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed last week , I don't think the room had been cleaned apparat from the bed sheets it was very dirty from nasty white stains on the bed cushions !!! to hair in the bath, we complained and was told the manager wasent in but he would e mail us ,he did so and has offered us a free night .the bar area also had a sickly sweet smell and was empty .

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Leslet1316
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear Leslet1316,

We all appreciated you taking the time to share with Trip Advisors users your experience with us during your stay in Leeds.

I understand from the team on duty that they tried to resolve your issues during your stay with your room but you didn’t wish to move rooms.

I am struggling to understand that if the room was cleaned to our high standards why you wished to stay in the room and can only assume that it was more that you didn’t the style of the room.

Having said that I understand my management team contacted you after your departure and that you are returning back to us in the New Year.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Stayed here for a gig at the new arena which was£5 by taxi. Hotel was clean and modern, the gin bar was amazing (who knew there were 100 different types of gin!). Room was massive and very comfy. Bathroom wasn't quite up to same amazing standard as the room but it was clean nd more than acceptable. A few checking in errors were sorted well. Staff helpful nd there was parking on the road right outside (free for us and no trouble getting a space but I suspect in the week this wouldn't be the same) Overall a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank crackers123

Dear Crackers123,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the size and comfort of our beds of which we are gaining quite reputation in the city for!

It was also pleasing to read that how easy and convenient you found our location for the new First Direct Arena.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

I stayed here very recently. It was cute and cosy as I entered. My room was boutique in nature. The staff were efficient and helpful. A few small quibbles in the room (dodgy flush handle, slow draining sink etc). The bed was massive and divine. The breakfast was average - mainly owing to slow and not very intuitive service (toast too late, asked if I'd like butter with it etc). I usually stay elsewhere in Leeds and I'm tempted to make sure that's where I go from now.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank IrishMimi

Dear IrisihMimi,

I apologise for the areas you felt let us down and if you would like to contact me directly concerning these I can review them with the team and ensure they so not occur again.

I was pleased that overall you enjoyed the style of the hotel as well as the team and that you would consider staying with us again when this is the case please contact me directly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The New Ellington.

E: stuartward@thenewellington.com

Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Came for a meal a while back but forgot to review until now. We had heard good things from freinds so decided to give Digby's a go for my partners birthday meal. As we entered we were quickly shown to a table in the "Gin Garden" and handed bar menu's by the freindly bartender. After going with the cocktail of the month and having our orders taken we descended into the restaurant. First impressions were great, immaculte table settings with a nice quirky interior. David and Emily were true proffesionals managing to keep the whole restaurant laughing whilst delivering an efficient and formal service with ease! The food was delicious and very different than other places in leeds however sometimes slow coming out. All in all i would massivley reccomend Digby's! Great restaurant, Great food and Great staff!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Yorkshirediner12345

Dear Yorkshiredinner12345,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with the Trip Advisor community.

I was very pleased that you enjoyed your experience in our award winning restaurant and David and Emily were both delighted you enjoyed their service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The New Ellington in the future.