“excellent Gin bar!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
NOTTINGHAM
“excellent Gin bar!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

Stayed here for a gig at the new arena which was£5 by taxi. Hotel was clean and modern, the gin bar was amazing (who knew there were 100 different types of gin!). Room was massive and very comfy. Bathroom wasn't quite up to same amazing standard as the room but it was clean nd more than acceptable. A few checking in errors were sorted well. Staff helpful nd there was parking on the road right outside (free for us and no trouble getting a space but I suspect in the week this wouldn't be the same) Overall a very comfortable stay.

1 Thank crackers123
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Crackers123,

Thank you for taking the time to share your views with the trip advisor community.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the size and comfort of our beds of which we are gaining quite reputation in the city for!

It was also pleasing to read that how easy and convenient you found our location for the new First Direct Arena.

For future special offers or to keep in touch please like us on Facebook so you can be the first know what’s happening at The New Ellington.

Stuart Ward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Essendon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here very recently. It was cute and cosy as I entered. My room was boutique in nature. The staff were efficient and helpful. A few small quibbles in the room (dodgy flush handle, slow draining sink etc). The bed was massive and divine. The breakfast was average - mainly owing to slow and not very intuitive service (toast too late, asked if I'd like butter with it etc). I usually stay elsewhere in Leeds and I'm tempted to make sure that's where I go from now.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank IrishMimi
Dear IrisihMimi,

I apologise for the areas you felt let us down and if you would like to contact me directly concerning these I can review them with the team and ensure they so not occur again.

I was pleased that overall you enjoyed the style of the hotel as well as the team and that you would consider staying with us again when this is the case please contact me directly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The New Ellington.

E: stuartward@thenewellington.com
Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Came for a meal a while back but forgot to review until now. We had heard good things from freinds so decided to give Digby's a go for my partners birthday meal. As we entered we were quickly shown to a table in the "Gin Garden" and handed bar menu's by the freindly bartender. After going with the cocktail of the month and having our orders taken we descended into the restaurant. First impressions were great, immaculte table settings with a nice quirky interior. David and Emily were true proffesionals managing to keep the whole restaurant laughing whilst delivering an efficient and formal service with ease! The food was delicious and very different than other places in leeds however sometimes slow coming out. All in all i would massivley reccomend Digby's! Great restaurant, Great food and Great staff!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Yorkshirediner12345
Dear Yorkshiredinner12345,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with the Trip Advisor community.

I was very pleased that you enjoyed your experience in our award winning restaurant and David and Emily were both delighted you enjoyed their service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The New Ellington in the future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

Booked this hotel last minute when I could not get into the usual hotels and was delighted with the choice. I arrived very late and was given a very warm welcome and helped with directions when the sat nav failed me. Secure Parking is available just across the road with the option of street parking outside (meters) The room I was allocated was a good size, decor " a little cozy and dark" for my taste more leisure than business but pleasant. It would be useful to have a full length mirror other than on the inside of a wardrobe door especially as the door could not be opened due to the bedside table but perhaps I am being pedantic and girly on this point!
The Yorkshire supper menu in the restaurant was excellent and more inventive than usual hotel fare, service was first rate and the price of less than £20 for three courses is great value. This restaurant is worth a visit even if staying elsewhere and with the gin bar too on the premises I was surprised it was not busier.
Stopped for a quick drink in the gin bar and again first rate service provided by a well informed and attentive bar man. Only disappointment was that work commitments stopped me indulging in more of the 100plus gin options on offer!
Breakfast was ok but would prefer an improved buffet selection for a quick and easy start to the day albeit various options can be cooked to order - on another occasion I would probably choose room only basis given the great options in town.
It would be useful to have some printed maps to hand to guests for directions, a map to look at was available at reception but not one to take away which given how easy it would be to print a few out seemed odd. I found the fact that this hotel was situated a short distance away from the city centre a bonus as it was quiet and a good nights sleep was achieved which is difficult in some city centre options as a result of traffic etc.
Would choose this hotel again in preference to some of the usual offerings and it is the staff attitude and restaurant/bar menu/service which makes the difference.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank meadowsb
Dear Meadowsb,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with ther Trip Advisor community.

Firstly I was pleased that you were able to experience all aspects of the hotel and you enjoyed your meal in our fabulous award winning restaurant. Maybe next time you can continue to sample some of our 100 variations of Gin that we have on offer.

Thank you for your comments concerning the full length mirror and I will take this into account when we look at our next refurbishment.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed here for a night and were attracted by the sleek, quirky look of the hotel and were pleasantly reassured when we arrived. Check in was quick and efficient and the reception staff were very friendly. Our room was a double and was very well appointed and it was only as we had a closer look we became a little more deflated- the double bed was two singles, pushed together; the coffee machine didn't have any "pods" to use with it; make-up stains on the duvet and a cigarette lighter in the pocket of a dressing-gown when I put it on!
We stayed in the hotel and ate in the restaurant that night, which was very nice. Again, the staff made it a great place being friendly and not over bearing whilst ensuring to attend to everything we needed. We both had steak, which were well cooked and puddings which were OK. Drinks in the bar were a little more pricey, but I didn't mind paying this as I think you do in more city centre places and the cocktails were fantastic.
Overall I did like this hotel, but I think the lack of detail to some of the smaller things let it down. Would I go back? Maybe.

2 Thank lch10
Dear Ich10

I have reviewed our guest comments on check out for the November and can’t find any mention of the
housekeeping issues. Had the team been aware these they would been dealt with straight away. All I can do now is offer my apologies for these oversights.

We do have a several twins with the hotel and these also make up a large double bed of which both the mattresses are zipped together which is common in most hotels. I am currently reviewing with my Head Housekeeper on how we can make this less noticeable.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your experience in Digby’s Restaurant and I have shared this with the team.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed one night at the New Ellington on November 2013.

We had an upgraded room on the third floor (the highest).

The hotel is decorated and styled in a modern way - and has good quality fittings. Our room was large although the bathroom was a little on the small side.

I have a few niggles - mainly related to maintenance. The wifi wasn't working (I got the feeling when we mentioned it that that it had been an ongoing issue), the sink in the bathroom wouldn't drain, the room was pretty cold and the security catch on the door was broken. For the price, I would have expected better.

We had breakfast which was pretty good. I went for the full Yorkshire which I can recommend it you don't expect to eat again for a while! We also had drinks in the bar - which wasn't cheap - but they have an amazing range of gins and very friendly staff.

Room Tip: We were up on the third floor - but windows set into the roof eaves mean you can't see much!
2 Thank LiamFitzP
Dear Liam FitzP

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with the Trip Advisor community I was delighted that you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade to our suite.

I have reviewed your comments with the team on duty and we didn’t experience any other guest with their Wi Fi connection when you stayed. There can be occasionally issues with the settings on your device and connecting to the network but these can be resolved through our dedicated help desk.

Our maintenance team have addressed the issues with the bolt and sink.

I was pleased that you enjoyed Breakfast and I have shared this with our Head Chef and his team and the Bar Team were delighted that you enjoyed our extensive range of Gins.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this lovely hotel as part of a large group attending an awards evening in Leeds. The location of the hotel is perfect and a short walk from the train station.
We arrived early. Around 1.30pm to leave our luggage but the lovely receptionist informed us our room was ready and we could get checked in straight away!
The room was nice and great value for money, we decided not to venture back out and treat ourselves to room service, the food was fantastic.
We met up with all our friends in the bar where we were able to arrange taxis and have a few drinks before leaving once again the service was excellent.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kerry F
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Kerry F,

We all appreciated you taking the time to share with Trip Advisors users your experience with us during your stay in Leeds.

I was delighted to read that you had a great experience and that you found our staff accommodating and friendly.

I do hope that your awards evening was fruitful.