“Lovely Place To Stay”

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Lovely Place To Stay”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

An overnight business stayover

Greeted by very pleasant gentleman.
Room was spotless and had everything you need for a flying visit. Decorated lovely (room 103)
Bar area was busy and again spotless.
Breakfast was served within 10 minutes of seating. Very nice indeed

For a flying visit this lovely hotel ticked all the boxes and would gladly recommend it and will most definately stay again at The New Ellington.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Dave G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Ah the New Ellington. Although from the outside seems unassuming, the interior is a sumptuous feast for the senses.
It has changed a little since I was there last... and all for the better.
As you enter, the reception is now divided from the bar/lounge area by a cubed unit that offers some privacy and also homes some delightful objet d'art.
There is also a Gin Garden behind the bar now which is a great place to enjoy pre-dinner cocktails.
We stayed in a Junior Suite that overlooked the Atrium & Gin Garden. As usual the room was wonderful and could not be faulted....with a huge bedroom and separate lounge and desk area and a wonderful bathroom with rain shower which is just the thing to relax before dinner.
For Pre-dinner cocktails, I had a Breakfast Martini and my partner had a G&T. But not just any G&T... you have the option of not only selecting from an extensive offering of Gin (something the New Ellington specialises in) but a selection of Tonics as well.
The dining room is a decadent affair with stunning light fixtures and surrounded by vintage aged mirrors and Tamara de Lempicka prints which sets the stage perfectly for the dinner that will follow.
I had a starter of Wild mushrooms on Toast and my partner had the Ploughmans....a Ham Hock Terrine served with Quails Egg and lovely accompaniments.
Although the wild mushrooms were a seemingly simple dish, the taste was creamy and complex with Tarragon and Winter Truffle and served on homemade bread that quite frankly I could have kept on having until I was full.
For the Main Course we both had the Rib Eye of Yorkshire Beef with Truffle Sauce.
The steak was cooked to perfection (rare) and again the sauce was a star! It was beautiful and glossy and a perfect accompaniment to the golden cubes of potato and purple sprouting broccoli (served with lime hollandaise).
We enjoyed a selection of decadent chocolate offerings after dinner as we bathed in the afterglow of a perfect meal with a bottle of Malbec.
The staff as usual were friendly and professional and helped make the evening even more special and one to remember.
Breakfast the next morning was another feast with a selection of juices, cereal and fruit as well as baked goods. We both had the Full English and you could see the quality of the ingredients by the bacon and sausages which were wonderful and tasted well sourced as they were full of flavour and the yolks of the eggs were rich and deep golden yellow and poached to perfection.
We left with a wonderful glow and full tummies.
I cannot wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Junior Suite 301 is super and although overlooks the Atrium and Gin Garden is full of light and shie...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Du_Watson
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

After using many of the 'big named' or apparent 'boutique' hotels in Leeds, and indeed the rest of the country, The New Ellington is without doubt the best I have stayed in.I work in Leeds once every 2 weeks so I need a comfortable, clean and modern place to stay.

From the moment I first contacted the lovely sounding lady in reservations, to the moment I leave every second Thursday, I feel that the staff can not do enough for me.

Making a reservation is very simple and painless, and most of the time can be done within 2 minutes but without loosing the personal touch given. Upon arrival, reception is always clean and tidy, with check in being as easy as making the reservation. Parking is on a first come, first served basis but i've never had a problem. A bargain at £14, compared to the NCP around the corner.

The rooms are always of a high finish and not one room is decorated the same which is a breath of fresh air compared to the bland decor of the Mint Hotel. Good quality toiletries, and big fluffy towels are always well presented. The rooms also have good quality wifi too.

I have only eaten in the restaurant a handful of times but the food has been nothing short of sublime, and deserving of the 2 rosettes it has achieved. The Gin Garden is also a fantastic idea with over 80 gins I believe!

The hotel is only a short walk from the shops, and perfect for anyone working anywhere in Leeds. It also has a deal with the local Virgin Active club which is a great idea. All in all, a fantastic hotel!!

Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: Make sure you try the restaurant!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Stephen J
London
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I first came here last week for a business meeting and found the staff friendly and accommodating so decided to stay the hotel this week. The staff gave me a friendly welcome a recognised me from the week before. I sat down and had a chat to the duty manager about life I general as he checked me in.

he room on the third floor was spacious we'll, appoint with a coffee machine and kettle, flat screen TV and big bed. The street is quiet next to the financial district.

English breakfast was cooked to order and the black pudding especially delicious.

Trying to find the way to empty the sink was an adventure (a pop up plug made to pop up from under the sink maybe why someone plugged out the plug in an earlier review) and as ever a multi dimensional shower which takes a while to figure out what the three knobs do.

Anyway. fab hotel, friendly staff, real boutique about it, clientele relaxing and friendly. Stay!

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank LesErbCharlie
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed here in November and felt I should write a review after reading some of the negative comments.
Staff were friendly, room was big, clean and the bed was very comfortable. I ordered room service, which arrived promptly and was tasty. My stay was brief but I would and will use this hotel again.
For the price I paid it was well worth it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dominic K
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I always read TripAdvisor before booking any accommodation and must admit I have never written a review, however after a fantastic stay at The New Ellington I felt compelled to do so.

Booking through the hotels own website was extremely easy, quick and I believe it is as secure as any other site. The website certainly excited me about my business stay. On arrival I was politely greeted and checked in efficiently, quickly and was asked if I would like to dine in Digbys restaurant (located in the hotel). I stayed in a standard room which comprised of a very large and comfy bed, brilliant shower, large TV with lots of channels and an Nespresso coffee machine with fresh milk in the fridge.

The Gin Garden bar is a fantastic idea! As I was overwhelmed by the largest selection of gins I have ever encountered, I was recommended Hoxtons gin by the barman who looked young, but was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Drinks were brought over to my colleague and myself whilst we took in the unusual but brilliant ‘garden’ with astro turf underfoot.

As you have probably guessed, the food in the restaurant was extraordinary. It certainly lives up to the reputation set by other reviewers. Courses came out with the appropriate time in between, the red wine at room temperature and the waiter always at hand, but not intrusive like at many other restaurants. It really is beyond exceptional. After 3 courses, both my colleague and myself were fantastically full and retied to bed. The breakfast of poached eggs on toast were a brilliant, filling and came out quickly.

Overall, my stay could not be faulted. The food, bar and surroundings where enough for me to write my first review on here alone. In addition, it was made excellent by all the staff I encountered. They may seem young however were friendly, efficient, knowledgeable and certainly helped set the hotel above many others that I have stayed in.

I look forward to staying again, and hopefully for longer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Benjamin12345
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last night for a business celebration. The hotel is small and tucked away in the centre of Leeds. Perfect walking distance from the railway station. The receptionist was welcoming and very helpful. Restaurant and bar staff were very professional also. The small bar was well stocked with an interesting selection of Gins. The bedroom was very high quality with some very nice fine touches, such as reading material and magazines. Breakfast was ok, service a little slow, but the food; smoked salmon and scrambled eggs was as good as any I have had. I would certainly stay again, far better quality than the local Queens Hotel which is only around the corner.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business