Village Hotel Leeds South
Novotel Leeds Centre(Leeds)(Great Value!)
$108
$104
$113
$108
$126
$105
  • Pool
Ibis Leeds Centre(Leeds)(Great Value!)
$56
$129
  • Restaurant
Park Plaza Leeds(Leeds)(Great Value!)
$100
  • Restaurant
Clayton Hotel Leeds(Leeds)(Great Value!)
$103
$66
$53
Travelocity
2,350 results
All reviewsleisure facilitiesthe vervevictory baran upper deck roomwhite rose shopping centreclub roomsky tvleisure clubwet roomgreat facilitieswalk in showermodern hotelcoffee machineexcellent stayreception areaexcellent value for moneyself service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night at the beginning of October, a rare night away from our three young children! We had a good stay, and would recommend the hotel for couples wanting a similar getaway.

We payed the higher rate to get one of the 'Upper Deck' rooms, and felt it was good value for money, but obviously didn't see a 'standard' room to compare the two. I think I was expecting more from the bathroom though, a fancy walk-in shower would have been nice rather than the standard shower over the bath that was there, especially since children cannot stay in the Upper Deck rooms (in our house it's only the children who ever use the bath!). But that's just me nit-picking, the bathroom was fresh and clean and there were lovely Arran Aromatics toiletries provided. There was only one set of towels, but another was quickly provided when we asked at reception. The bed was really comfy, and the hair dryer was a decent 'proper' one (not just a travel one attached to the wall).

I used the swimming pool, at 5pm on a Saturday it was quiet and I had a lane to myself for swimming. There was a small section roped off for children's lessons, and two lanes for swimming, a jacuzzi in one corner and still a decent space left for anyone else who just wanted to splash around. The changing rooms were clean, with plenty of showers and hair dryers. A towel is provided, your room card, or the blank card provided with the towel, is used for the lockers so you don't need a £1 coin.

The Starbucks in the lobby is a nice touch, but you should be aware that the prices of the drinks and the food are about 25% higher than their high street branches. We only realised after we'd paid over £11 for two coffees and two pieces of cake! But the prices are clearly displayed, they are not trying to hide it.

We ate at the Vinny & Vito Italian, the food was delicious and on the whole the service was good. I think some of the negative comments on here must stem from teething problems when it first changed brands (I think it was a Verve bar and grill before) but from what I could see these glitches have been ironed out. We had to remind our server about our drinks order when it still hadn't arrived by the time our starters came, but other than that we have no complaints.

Breakfast was ok, all 'help yourself' apart from hot drinks which are provided by a waitress service. Again we had to remind someone that we were waiting for a pot of tea - I think it's just the drinks service they need to look at! Cereal selection was not great - cornflakes, bran flakes or granola was all you got. Croissants and mini pastries were lovely, the toast was ok but the bread was thin sliced. Cooked selection was average, the sausages were cheap soft ones, not very meaty and could have done which cooking a little longer. We normally stay at Premier Inns, and their breakfasts are much better!

Overall a good break, we only saw about 10 children at most at breakfast so I'd definitely recommend this hotel as a place to go if you have chance to get away from your own children for a night! We will stay at a Village Urban Resort again if my parents will agree to have the children for us again! Maybe next year!

2  Thank Hippo87
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Due to a birthday party we needed to stay in the area. After serious consideration we opted for this hotel and made the upgrade to the 'upper deck' rooms on the third floor. This upgrade includes a bath in the en-suite, Arran Essentials toiletries, and Starbucks almond biscotti and instant coffee. There is also a Bose iPad docking station and the worlds biggest bed. On the subject of the bed, we have a sealy mattress at home which we have always loved and this bed was no different. I actually think this is the best nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel, which is saying something. Maybe it is due to the bed linen upgrade you get in 'upper deck'.

We greeted by a very cheerful receptionist and she was very efficient at her role, booking us in and apologising for our wait as she was alone due to staff sickness. The only thing that I have found really, and perhaps unduly, annoying is that all the staff wear jeans. Try working out who the staff are and who the guests are when everyone is dressed the same! It may be that some-one thought this would look friendly but it just looks scruffy to my mind.

The room and en-suite was spotlessly clean, and I personally found the grey walls very soothing. The rooms appear to be new or newly refurbished, and we felt our room was well designed with good lighting, and facilities.

Breakfast was the only slight let down for me. We had been warned that it could get extremely busy after 10am so went down at 8:30am. Already the restaurant was busy but everything was available which is to be commended and the staff worked extremely hard to keep on top of everything. Slightly strangely the fruit salad and some cold breakfast items were round by the hot foods and away from the the other breads and cereals. The hot food was kept very warm but I would loved a veggie sausage but this wasn't available or offered. Given bacon, sausage and black pudding are offered to the meat eaters I don't think this is much to ask! The quality was very good though, and the fruit salad really was fresh.

There is ample free car parking for guests, a Starbucks on site, leisure facilities including a pool and an Italian restaurant - a complete package! It is also just off the M62 which provides an excellent location.

We will definitely be staying here again if in the area, £95 for the night wasn't the cheapest but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Upgrade to 'upper deck' rooms on the third floor if you can. It's worth it!
Reviewed October 6, 2013

really near to the motorway so easy to find, staff very very helpful and friendly. room very modern and clean with great bathrooms and comfortable beds. leisure centre really nice, pool warm and clean. great to have both a restaurant and pub for food and a starbucks. breakfast very good choice and good quality food.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2013

A Living Social voucher was available for a meal at The Village, and as it's almost around the corner for us, we thought we would give it a try. The staff were very enthusiastic but untrained and clumsy. Cutlery dropped when clearing tables and crashes from behind the bar made us feel a little nervous. A request to turn down the totally inappropriate and extraordinarily loud piped music was met with "don't think I can". The food was unremarkable. The starters were humdrum, my steak was decidedly fatty and gristly, although my husband said the rigatoni was good. Everythng was profusely sprinkled with Parmesan cheese - perhaps in an effort to add an authentic Italian touch? My husband pronounced the wine list as "terrible", but found us a half-decent bottle (for which we had to pay a supplement) and still thought it was £6 more than it should have been, even in a restaurant. There are several restaurants in the area that serve up much more genuine Italian food and which we will patronise in future.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I don't use Village hotels much, Im not sure why, I think its for 2 reasons, some of the Hotels are new contemporary and modern (good) others are old cheap and most likely former post houses (not Good) This one is the former. It is good, the staff are very good and a credit to the management. Restraunt was OK too, breakfast however a bit of a shambles, not bad per say, but could have been better. Oh free internet - GOOD, surcharge for paying any bill with credit card (when your bill is a couple of hundred pounds, this hurts a bit) - Bad.

Room Tip: I had an upper-deck room, but all are good
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business