“Superb steak, delicious cocktails, average dessert, expensive.”

Blackhouse - The Grill on the Square
Ranked #88 of 1,915 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: International
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2013

On the starter and steak alone this is definitely one of the best I've had.

On arrival, this restaurant is obviously upper class, lovely decor. Great for late opening too - we booked for 9pm and on booking they stated they would require the table back for 11pm. We thought - they had better be quick at serving! And they are, very swift.

Whilst we were deciding I chose a banoffee martini - if you are a sucker for sweet drinks then please try this - so amazing.
We shared the Thai fishcakes and duck spring rolls with hoisin sauce, the spring rolls were definitely my favourite considering I had never tried duck before.

We of course had steak for main. I had sirloin with champs potatoes (had to ask what this was but basically a chopped up jacket potato with spring onion) with a blue cheese sauce. The steak came out more medium-rare than medium I would say, but I really really enjoyed it so I am now a convert. The sauce was fantastic and definitely plentiful. The potato also a lovely accompaniment. You don't get any extra sides/salad/veg unless ordered.
My partner had a steak of the specials - whisky/BBQ glazed steak with chips - also really enjoyed it.
On the steak alone we both said it tops the list and we will remember it.

My partner quite enjoyed his chocolate fudge cake but I thought my dessert was of slightly disappointing standard compared to the rest. I had sticky toffee pudding with custard which was fairly nice but it in no way tasted homemade and felt like a microwaved production sponge.

A slightly disappointing ending especially when faced with a £100 bill for 2.

The staff were fab and service was super, super swift - I thought it would have to be due to the table bookings, but it was nearly unbelievable!

Great meal if you want a treat or don't mind spending a bit extra - try the cocktails and perhaps skip the dessert. Otherwise it is definitely overpriced, but I would go back purely for the steak.

I understand this is part of a small chain so I would definitely look to try in another city.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Went for a spur of the moment meal here late on a Thursday night. Me and my boyfriend turned up without a reservation and were seated within minutes. The overall appearance of the place is impressive, décor is upper class without being stuffy and the shower of fairy lights in the main window are a lovely touch.

We each had a three course meal, with steak - obviously - a bottle of wine, and a drink with dessert, in addition to bread to nibble on while we decided what to order. Starters were fine, camembert for me and calamari for him - although I'm told that the squid was under seasoned. The steak was amazing, possibly the best I've ever tasted and cooked exactly as requested - not that I expected any less from a steakhouse. For dessert we had amaretto, ice cream and espresso and a sticky toffee pudding. The amaretto dessert was inspired, but unfortunately the pudding was of the generic store bought variety (I only know this because I had the exact same one at a different, massively reduced price restaurant a few days later) which I found disappointment compared to the quality of the rest of the meal.

Cost came in at just under £130 including a small bar tab.

Overall, a fabulous steak house. Shame about the dessert.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Food was fantastic, best quality of steak anywhere i've eaten so be prepared to pay for the quality.
Expensive night out, bill was almost £400 for 8 people but such an experience and worth it for that extra special night.

Great live pianist playing in the background, service was fantastic. Just cant fault it!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

A firm favourite, food consistently really good along with the service and ambience. Often live musicians and the option to sit in comfy arm chairs whilst you eat. Usually have steak or lobster, both excellent quality and cooked very well.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We went to Blackhouse to celebrate my sisters 40th birthday.

The place looks great illuminated at night, when we entered the atmosphere was electric, live music provided by the piano playing singer, the staff were amazing, knew there stuff, were relaxed, professional, happy to make suggestions and even had good conversation (our waiter was Jimbob)

We had a mixed sharing plate for starter, Calamari was exceptional mouthwatering and perfectly cooked, chicken skewers a little bland but moist, the spring roll was extra tasty as were the thai fish cakes, this is a great dish to try a few flavours.

The Steak was tasty, well cooked and seasoned and the accompaniments although simple were good, we also ordered spring greens and asparagus spears, both were perfect.

Creme Brûlée was perfect, creamy and crisp on top.

Drinks were good, cold beers, well presented cocktails,

All in all we had a great experience, we recommend it for a great atmosphere, great food and brilliant service.