“Bustling steakhouse and more”

Blackhouse - The Grill on the Square
Ranked #145 of 1,949 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: International
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Friendly, knowledgeable and attentive staff; food freshly prepared and excellent - generous prawn cocktail, juicy ribeye and sirloin steaks with fresh veg; only slight downside is the noise (could be an age-dependent input) - live pianist/singer doesn't really need any amplfcation and it's always busy on a Thursday evening, with lots of big groups - which is fine if you're in a big group, but go early before the cocktail crew take over if you want to talk? Very good qualitry and value, we will be back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,271)

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Summer has finally hit the UK and everyone is out basking in the sun. Coupled with Victoria’s birthday it was the perfect excuse to head out for some cheeky cocktails and a good meal. Blackhouse is situated just off City Square in central Leeds but is tucked away recessed into a building. Part of a small chain, they specialise in steak which to me a good start!

I signed up on their website then booked a table online in order to receive a 20% discount, which is a good welcome present from them! Upon entering at 7pm, we were met by a friendly member of staff who offered us to sit down or sit at the bar. We opted for a drink at the bar first which sat in the middle of the restaurant, the entire venue is well finished with the seating spaced out to give a feeling of room without making the place feel sparce. A good selection of beers, wines and cocktails are on offer, although the beer on draught did feel a bit budget in a premium restaurant.

We requested to sit outside, given the temperature! Running through the menu there was little I couldn’t eat with steaks starting at £14 and topping off at £52. We opted for the rump and sirloin which arrived with chips and started with Moules Marinares and fried calamari. We ordered plenty of béarnaise sauce as well as mushrooms. The food arrived promptly via our very friendly and helpful waitress who couldn’t of done more, he was helped by her colleague who’s only downfall was that she kept forgetting to bring us things when we requested them such as another drink and some ketchup. Neither of these things were a big issue and it was made up for my the efficiency of her colleague.

Both starters were utilising fresh produce, often disappointingly these dishes use frozen seafood but Blackhouse can be commended on either covering this up very well or as I suspect using fresh produce. The moules were soft and supple with a sauce which complimented their soft meat well, I genuinely think they are some of the best I have had. The calamari was great, again fresh with a light batter, there was none of the chewiness often associated with this dish; I would suggest adding a few more pieces but all in all it was a great selection of starters.

Our steaks followed, cooked exactly to order (rare and medium rare) with homepage chips which appeared to be a hybrid of fries and chips. Beyond saying that the steak was well season, perfectly cooked and incredibly tasty it really melted in my mouth coupled with a create Bearnaise sauce the lack of ketchup didn’t bother me!

Coming in at £66 with our 20% discount it wasn’t a cheap meal but I felt represented good value for money. Fresh produce, good service, lovely environment and well prepared food all made for an experience which I would repeat. I’m usually wary of chains but these guys delivered and delivered well! I will be going back and hopefully the weather is sunny when I do!

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Went here with 2 friends on a Saturday afternoon for late lunch and drinks. As it was sunny we opted to sit outside. It was a nice atmosphere and there were many friends and couples dining. The waiter was very efficient throughout the meal. Our starters consisted of goats cheese and beetroot salad, calamari and beef carpaccio. All fresh and very tasty. Our mains consisted of two specials of the day; tuna niçoise and hake coronation with Bombay potato. Again very nice, especially the hake. Beautifully cooked and a tasty well balanced sauce. The only slight negative was the tuna salad had no dressing and the steak was a little on the small side. However, enjoyed by my friends! The drinks list is extensive and the cocktails looked great: maybe try another time. We opted for a bottle of Sauvignon blanc. Very nice, but came at a price! The general price of earing and drinking there is on the steeper side but i suppose that reflects the high quality. Just one suggestion, maybe slightly larger portions or if some mains come with salad or vegatables. Overall though, it was a very pleasant dining experience and we wouldn't hesitate to visit again.

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Arrived slightly early for a booking on a Friday evening, intending to have a drink before being seated. Unfortunately we were turned away at the door as the restaurant had a power cut earlier and things still weren't sorted. We were told we could keep our reservation and they didn't think it would be any more than 15 mins before things were sorted (the power was in at this point but the kitchen was still being prepped). I thought is was strange to get asked to go away and come back - you don't need electric to open a bottle if wine and things were indeed back to normal after 15/20 mins. Why give away £25 worth if business to a competitor??

Went back and were seated and treated very well by the waiter. Starter was a sharing plate which to be honest was a very disappointing portion for the price.

The mains were good.

Overall, not much can be done about a power cut but the whole evening just felt a tad "off". I wasn't convinced by the value either. I'll give the benefit of the doubt and go back to try it again.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I love this place, the food and atmosphere really make it a classy place and we visit t least once a month

I ate here Saturday lunch time with a friend pre theatre and it did not disappoint , we had the warm bread and olives to nibble on hike perusing the main menu eventually settling on the beef and chicken burgers, both of which were delicious. We also had the columbard Chardonnay which was very good.

If you join the members club and book online there is 20% off the food but we would eat here paying full price and be very happy