“No customer service skills whatsoever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Teppanyaki

Teppanyaki
Ranked #112 of 1,811 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Teppanyaki Japanese Restaurant. Sit around our teppan hot plates and watch as our chefs skilfully cook your food in front of you, using their theatrical skills, juggling, flipping and with a dash of fire, your meal is prepared for you before your very eyes.
West Yorkshire
“No customer service skills whatsoever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I purchased a Groupon deal in January for a booking I needed in March. The booking was for a birthday meal which is why I booked it in advance. The smallprint said weekend bookings were limited and to check with the restaurant. I did this and when the "manager" realised it was a groupon deal, she told me I could not use this for weekends...I pointed out this was not in the terms of the deal and she reluctantly booked me in.
Today (the day before my booking), I have received a voicemail that says they have a dicrepancy with Groupon and are not honouring the bookings. I have since noticed that my money has been refunded but I am extremely dissapointed that the restaurant choose to give me one days notice for a birthday booking!
It gets better!!!
On the message left on my phone, the manager clearly says she can honour the booking and can give us 50% off the price...I call her back to confirm this. She then tells me she can only offer 30% off but if I am willing to move my booking to another day between Sunday-Thursday, she will give me 50% off. I advised that this is a birthday booking and it has to take place on the original date. I also pointed out that she had specified on her message that I could indeed have 50% off and this was denied!
Does this so-called manager not realise that the her "discrepancy" with Groupon is not my fault and really should not inconvenience me and instead of dissapointing me further, she should try and manager my expectations?!?!
I am disgusted by the poor customer service I have received and will never return or recommend this restaurant to anyone!

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank erweena

west yorkshire
“Not as good as it used to be”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We first went to Teppanyaki last summer and had a great evening. The sercive was fantastic and the food was lovely so we were looking forward to going back.
Our return visit yesterday was disappointing to say the least. We arrived at 5.45 for a 6pm booking. When we arrived there was noone behind the bar and it took ages to get drinks. We were kept in the cold reception area for the best part of an hour and it was around 6.40 before we were seated in the restaraunt.
The guy cooking the food was lovely and apologised for our wait. He prepared the food with the usual flare and was very entertaining. The food was lovely but you could tell they were understaffed and stressed and things just seemed to keep going wrong. The pepper mill broke so he has to fish all the peppercorns out of our rice then a jug of water was knocked over (which left some of us with soggy handbags) and then the mop broke when they tried to mop it up. Our chef slipped on the water as it wasnt mopped up properly, I hope he was ok.
To be fair our bill was heavily discounted so it wasnt a disaster of a night. Apparently this was the new managers first night so maybe we were just unlucky?
I just hope they get sorted quickly as this place used to be great.

• Visited February 2013
4 Thank laura_c_1982
Leeds, United Kingdom
“cancelled groupon discusting behaviour”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I bought a group on voucher, booked table for a friends birthday only to receive an e-mail to say the restaurant will not honour the vouchers anymore so I will receive a refund. This is discusting behaviour, how can you enter into an agreement and then cancel. After reading the reviews maybe we had a lucky escape. I will be telling everyone I know to avoid this place. I was willing to give then a chance by buying a voucher to try it out. Group on should sue!

Visited February 2013
5 Thank Brown72
UK
“Horrific”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I have never had such a terrible dining experience. Unusually we wanted an early tea. We skipped lunch and wanted to catch a movie after. We tried to book for 5:30 but were advised to book for 6, fair enough.

We arrived and there was a cluster of people in the bar area. It wasn't clear whether we were meant to wait or go to the bar, or to head for the seated area. Someone eventually spotted us and shuffled us to a bench with a menu. They didn't explain the 'experience' or how things worked- I just found it strange we were choosing our menu choices in something that was akin to a social club.

We asked if they had a specific Japanese beer (describing it as Japanese beer) - the guy came back saying no there wasn't but we have kaliber (a non alcoholic beer, not Japanese I'm assuming). We then asked if they had any other Japanese beer. He went to check again and came back saying yes there was. Japanese beer ordered.

We were ushered through to the dining area. A little aged but fairly impressive with a number of large hot plates. Another 2 parties got seated about the same time.

So party 1 had a chef nearly immediately. They were getting a good entertaining show and we were left wondering when our chef was going to appear. He cooked rice, meat and vegetables for that table , that table got up and left then he got started on table number 2. Were they serious?! We had barely received our starters and they were leaving already?!! Our chef must be coming soon.

A lady comes out. Ahh our chef has appeared. Noooo she went to the table that came in after us. Still, after seeing and smelling all the smoke that came from her hot plates, we were rather glad she wasn't cooking for us anyway. Apparently the owner (and short staffed), she ended up having to cook. But those people got no 'show' either. I think they felt outdone. At least they managed to get out of there.

Sooo over 2.5 hours after we arrived the actual chef finished at his second table. After each table they disappear for ages. It was like he had to prep his own ingredients for every table. So eventually he reappeared. And gave us a good and fun show. The one redeeming feature of the whole evening was this. He was fun, and clearly in a helpless situation with no support. He was fun and polite.

The food was rank. The beef tasted cheap. I don't think it was fresh. There was egg shell in the rice. Everything tasted the same - charred and salty. Soy I would expect, but salt as well?!!

So we eventually got done at 10pm. Time for a movie??! No chance! I don't mind slow cooking if its actually being cooked, but the fact is it wasn't being cooked.

Essentially it's stir fry. I could have driven home, gone to the supermarket, cooked, washed up and enjoyed my evening. I left hungry (it's rare for me to not eat the lot), dissatisfied and annoyed.

There was no apology, explanation, free drinks. Nothing. There appeared to be a number of new staff who were ill trained (didn't know the menus, forgot our orders and had to ask them again)

We got 50% discount with a taste card. This brought the food to an acceptable price. The £25 set menu (a small bowl of lettuce, tomato and cucumber, soup, mini spring roll and chicken skewer, small beef steak with small bowl of rice and beansprouts, 2 scoops of ice cream)- I wouldn't mind 25 if it was good. But they must making a fortune out of that.

I will never be back, but would encourage management to do the following.

1. Train your staff on the menu
2. Get your staff to wear some sort of uniform clothing (washed out jeans and lumberjack shirts look awful)
3. Keep your menu up to date (green tea ice cream and one of your beers is no longer stocked)
4. Be honest with bookings whether you really have capacity
5. If there is going to be a wait, just let people know
6. Welcome people at the door and tell them what happens
7. Perhaps offer a free round of drinks if there is a major delay
8. Don't sell an 'experience' if not everyone is going to get one
9. Stop using salt
10. Put some music on
11. Apologise when things go wrong
12. Reduce your prices. Dramatically.
13. Source better ingredients
14. Follow the above advice

This really was a gross dining experience. I have eaten many places but the only thing going was the fun of the chef. That's great but not everyone got him and I had gone out to eat, not to watch a show.

They said they had been caught out by 3 chefs not turning up (for a variety of reasons)... But really instead of seating us all they should have limited entry.

I certainly won't be back but hope they can make some radical changes, or else this will be the next local business to be up for sale :-(

6 Thank cryschuchimac
ruskinHarrogate, Manager at Teppanyaki, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. All you mentioned is bad and we do apologies one more time. Please contact me on sales@ashleyliving.co.uk .

Kind regards

Anna
“Traumertising experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I visited last night. The entertainment whilst cooking is a good concept but the actual food was terrible. There is nothing really Japaese about the food. I ordered tuna steak and my boyfriend ordered steak. These were put onto a dirty old hot plate with the orders of the other customers sat around our table and moved around whilst the muck from the hot plate was blended in with them. The tuna steak was left on for about 20 minutes and some cheap wine poured on it as it was cooking and that was it, it tasted terrible. I didn't really eat any of it. The steak was pretty much the same but a little soy sauce poured ove rit and that was it. The only flavorings were that of the scum from the hotplate. Also the smell is absolutly horrific and as they cook it in front of you your clothes get riddled with it and it doesnt come out. I have had to take my coat to the dry cleaners today. I am also struggling to eat today because the thought of the food has geniuely put me off. It is safe to say I will never be eating here again.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Misslates
We do apologies you felt that way. I don't know how to respond to your comment. First i don't know if you cook at home or you are dong barbecue in your garden did your clothes as well get the smell. I bet so. Yes we cook front of our guests and its normal after that the smell to be on your clothes. Secondly most probably you have experience in other Japanese restaurants but owner of this restaurant is Japanese as well and all the food and recipes are authentic and we are working only with fresh and original Japanese products . As well there is no table for two in our restaurant and our guest really enjoy socializing and sharing the tables. The word teppanyaki is derived from teppan (鉄板), which means iron plate, and yaki (焼き), which means grilled, broiled or pan-fried. Saying is dirty is not serious because from the heat us getting dark. I am agree to offer you to come and see how the tables look like when they are cold and after they have been clean after duty. As well we don't use cheap wine, we used special Sake ( original one) . We know we can't please all our costumers but we can't agree with your review as it is giving totally wrong impression to our future costumers.I have to say that in your case you better say that is not your cup of tea instead of saying things you don't know. Sorry i have been straight to you but we are not agree with your review at all.
Wish you all the best.