“Excellent food and great value”
Review of Olive Tree - Chapel Allerton - CLOSED

Olive Tree - Chapel Allerton
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch today. Two courses for £9.99 (whitebait to start, beer battered fish and chips main). Good ingredients, cooked expertly and generous portions. Nice relaxed atmosphere and warm welcome. My only criticism was that the service was a bit flat. Maybe foot off the gas before the busier evening shift? Anyway, will definitely be back, evening menu looks amazing.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Went three weeks ago and can't clearly remember what I had which I think is more a reflection of the meal than my memory. Main course was lamb and I recall it being rather dry. Two courses and a beer each for two of us came to £65, which is pricey particularly for a somewhat disappointing meal as this was.

1  Thank ldrvwr
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My partner and I go to the Olive Tree regularly, so I thought it was time for a review. I'm never quite sure what to expect. The dolmades are always gorgeous. The mixed dips are always excellent too. The chicken kebabs are massive and to die for.

I've been disappointed a few times though. I once tried fish skewers - not great, they didn't taste very fresh apart from the salmon pieces. I also tried chicken stuffed with feta and spinach - way too salty. I usually find the keftedes far too salty as well. In fact I think the chef should really monitor the amount of salt that goes into the food (and I tend to add salt to everything, so that's saying something).

The desserts are not great, apart from the Greek yoghurt with honey and nuts. Recently I tried some profiteroles. They were one of the worst desserts I have eaten in my life. The choux buns were very thin, filled with a mixture that tasted like stuff made out of powdered milk. They were smothered by a heap of chocolate mousse, which again tasted like no fresh ingredients had gone into it. To top it all, the chocolate mousse had started to go tough on the edges, like old marshmallow. Two of my friends had a lemon creme brulee, and were disappointed to discover that there was no layer of caramelised sugar on top - even though it really is the main feature of a creme brulee. We felt like we would have got better desserts if we'd bought them in a supermarket.

I think this restaurant is good if you find something you like and stick to it. But the food can also be a real let-down.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Ate here twice on business trip. Food was very good..nicely prepared, hot, and nice presentation. Wait staff were attentive and polite, and quick. Recommend the lamb highly, and the Olice Tree chicken. Great calimari.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Not been to the olive tree for a few years so it was very pleasant to see nothing had changed,great food,fresh ingredients, good service it's become an institution in Leeds and rightly so!