“Better when it first opend”
Review of Chez Mal Brasserie

Chez Mal Brasserie
Ranked #256 of 1,915 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: European, French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Holbeck
Description: Recently refurbished to create Chez Mal, the heart and soul of every Malmaison hotel, where iconic dishes are prepared with a modern twist and served with passion and personality, including sublime steaks, the awesome MalBurger and a mouthwatering wine list. Nothing beats honest northern food, and it doesn't get any better than at Chez Mal Brasserie. With elegant ceilings, plush leather seating and contempary lighting. The Chez Mal Brasserie in Leeds has got style to spare, and all of the classic British dishes with a twist that you could ever ask for. Sure, Yorkshire pudding will be here, sharing a plate with locally-produced beef. But our dedicated chefs do french cuisine too, not to mention our ever-popular Mal Burger. And of course, when you want fine wines to match every course, our super sommelier offers vintages, aperitifs and digestifs to die for. No other restaurant in Leeds comes close.
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Malmaison, when it opened, attracted a lot of interest, especially from my and my owrk colleagues. I do not go there now. There is nothing wrong with either the experience or the food, that you can hang your hat on, it just seems as though it all needs refreshing.

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Definitely below par for Malmaison - served on cold plate which meant food almost cold on arrival. Grilled tomato cooked only on cut surface so remaining part was cold and raw. Fried egg pre-sprinkled with black pepper in quantity spoiling taste (seasoning should be the diner's choice; that's why there are condiments on the table!)

Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

We used to go here when they had the local menu on and it was great.
The food and menu now seems to have gone downhill. Which is a shame as as it used to be good.
The food lacked a degree of freshness and the Le Mal hot chocolate my wife had to leave of which they didn't charge us for.
Another niggle for the blokes is you ask for a pint and they give you schooner (2/3rds) and charge you for £4.

Need to up their game I think.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

The wife bought a voucher from Amazon or something which allowed us both a drink each and the steak and frites with a sauce each, which normally would cost around £52 but we got the voucher for £29, so it is very good value.

We did order starters, the wife had the chicken liver parfait which was excellent however had to ask for some more crostini bread, but tight on that front in comparison to the portion of the parfait ! I had the Tuna Tartare which at £9.50 was too much, I mean come on some of the main courses are £14 to charge £9.50 for what was a small plate of tuna tartare, albeit tasty, is taking the proverbial I think.

The steak and frites was excellent, steak was rump and cut fairly thin but still a large piece if you know what I mean. The flavour was superb, the chips thin and crunchy just how I like them. Sauces were good and the dressed watercress was a nice compliment, nothing too heavy just a real good plate of food.

We did order another round of drinks and a small bottle of sparkling.

We were served by a brilliant young man, didn't catch his name but (we ate on Thursday 29th at 8pm) he really was full of enthusiasm and just really relaxed attitude. Some were racing round in a very sophisticated manner, which is fine and probably about right for the restaurant, but our waiter was spot on, so we paid the service charge and left another 10% on the table.

He also advised us of a 50% off deal for pink gorilla which I have signed up to and will be visiting again in June.

Apart from prices of starters a very pleasant meal indeed.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed overnight here as I was going to party in the park the next day. Excellent hotel for a chilled night, very comfy spacious beds. Staff were very lovely, will definitely be back .