“Not worth the Money”

Ranked #294 of 1,838 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: European, French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Holbeck
Description: Recently refurbished to create Chez Mal, the heart and soul of every Malmaison hotel, where iconic dishes are prepared with a modern twist and served with passion and personality, including sublime steaks, the awesome MalBurger and a mouthwatering wine list. Nothing beats honest northern food, and it doesn't get any better than at Chez Mal Brasserie. With elegant ceilings, plush leather seating and contempary lighting. The Chez Mal Brasserie in Leeds has got style to spare, and all of the classic British dishes with a twist that you could ever ask for. Sure, Yorkshire pudding will be here, sharing a plate with locally-produced beef. But our dedicated chefs do french cuisine too, not to mention our ever-popular Mal Burger. And of course, when you want fine wines to match every course, our super sommelier offers vintages, aperitifs and digestifs to die for. No other restaurant in Leeds comes close.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Not worth the Money”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I booked this as part of a deal with a comedy club to have a two course meal inclusive of the tickets I had bought. When we got there (4 adults) we looked at the menu and were surprised to see that the sides were an additional £3.95 each and if we wanted something with substance (steak) we had to pay an extra £8 per servicing.
The two girls agreed to get starters and mains why the men chose main and dessert. I ordered trout mousse in batter, why the other ordered a spicy pulled pork dish for starter which was ok.
We all opted for the Steak Frites (at an additional £8) The portion size was surprising as it was rather large, a half plate of fries with a flattened out frying steak and the juiciest tomato I've ever had. However, the other woman eating with us wasn't so lucky, the steak was made up of pure fat, I eat anything but I would not have eaten that. For dessert the boys got a square of thick chocolate torte which looks divine.
We did complain about the steak and the £8 supplement was deducted form the final bill but with the addition of £3.85 for 2/3 pint of Guinness, £3.45 for 3/4 pint Heineken, large rose and a G&T the total bill was £55 on top of what I already paid - I was quite disgusted in the prices of the drinks especially when they are not even for a full pint!

• Visited October 2012

Wakefield, United Kingdom
“excellent”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

went here for Christmas lunch twice and is highly recommended to go there, food fantastic and excellent atmosphere

Visited December 2011
Shropshire
“Well worth the visit”
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Really good meal and lots of choice Cocktails worth trying and very relaxing experience. Would definitely return

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Great food watch the extras”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Very good quality meal with good service from attentive staff in a buzzing restaurant in the hotel, good mains selection (brasserie style) plus grill and tasty sounding vegetarian options. Really enjoyed my venison and waiter offered some really good advice on wine. Even the piped nusic was edgy enough for trendy young clientele and invigorating to my slightly older ears

If you are staying at the hotel they do a bundled dinner and room rate which was very good when I stayed there (I didn't take it sadly), and included wine.

Menu is not long (good) but should please most, I certainly had enough temptation to make me indecisive.

Watch the extras though. Staff are keen. I found I had committed to bread olives and water before I had even sat down and seen the menu and that they were extra (£11) and far too much for me to eat alone. Everyone around me had been several times before which was a good sign, and all were more than willing to have a chat with you - or leave you alone - through dinner, very warm Yorkshire welcome.

The venison I had as a main was beautiful, as much for the accompaniment of garlic mash and cabbage which was sumptuous and well seasoned (there are extra side dishes but many of the dishes I saw don't need them despite the claims of paucity from the waiting staff). Wines really good and a lot of choice, and advice available and freely given. Only thing that was not up to scratch was that the excellent cheeseboard was served by the newest member of staff who had had no real training for what was the most difficult dessert to serve. Cheese was good, but expensive. It would be five stars bat for this experience.

• Visited October 2012
Blu17
“Expensive but worth it”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed in the hotel, went out on the Friday and dined in the restaurant on the Saturday. Cocktails whilst waiting for the table were really good and the bar staff were very well trained.
Menu options were good, ordered Scallops as a starter and they were done to perfection.
cheese board had a huge selection on offer and it was divine!
Wine offering was very good and the pricing was OK- £40 for a decent bottle of Sauv Blanc Marl & around £35 for a good Viognier.
Staff were spot on with their knowledge and we didn't have to wait for anything, but it was still relaxed at the same time. We had the table all night and there was no rush to go. Well worth the money. Around £190 for 2 people- 3 course meal plus wine & cocktails. Food alone was about £45 per head.

• Visited April 2012