“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Quarry Hill
Description: Bella Italia is synonymous with good quality, affordable Italian cuisine and this Leeds Briggate branch is no exception. Located just moments away from the popular Leeds Shopping Plaza, Bella Italia is the perfect place to stop for a bite to eat at lunchtime or to enjoy an evening meal with loved ones. The outdoor terrace is wonderful during the summertime where you can watch the world go by in Leeds whilst tucking into tasty Italian fare. Dishes include the Fritto Misto (tempura battered prawns, cod pieces and calamari served with fries and a side salad) or the chargrilled sirloin steak with garlic butter, garlic mushrooms, fries and rocket. A little taste of Italy in the heart of Leeds.
England
“Disappointing”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Meal started off lovely although disappointed the starter I wanted was not available. The real problem came with my main. Half way through I discovered a big insect what looked like a daddy long legs. Totally put me off the meal and left me wondering if I had ate anything else. The waiter kindly got me a new one but I felt unable to eat following the incident.

Leeds
“Great Service and food better than expected”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Went for an early evening meal. Had the pate as a starter and was a brilliant home made pate, full of flavour and great side salad. Both had pizza as main course with side salad, full of flavour but the stuffed crust didnt have as much ham and cheese flavour as expected. Service was excellent, quick when needed but couldnt be seen when you were eating. Very friendly and excellent

1 Thank Karl F
Billingham, United Kingdom
“Very nice food great drinks menu”
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely meal and ther service was great, very welcoming :) mmmmm very nice. We both had cocktails and they were very strong :) we had the garlic bread which was very thin just how we like it :)

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Service, Yummy Fresh Food!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

One of my favourite restaurants, always receive fantastic service with a smile!. My favorite dish is Chicken A-la-creme! Although I have-to say I'm not a fan of the new decor, it looks less rustic than it did before and cold inside with the blue and grey painted walls :(. Will definitely visit again though, yum!!

• Visited August 2013
England
“Not Great”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We visited on 24th August as a couple, early evening.

We’ve been to this particular restaurant 3 or 4 times before, all occasions have been once in a blue moon though, I must say. My first ever visit was memorable because the lock on the door of the ladies loo came away in my hand, trapping me in. Luckily, I had my mobile in my bag and was able to phone my husband who was waiting for me outside so he could alert staff who valiantly scewdrivered me out. But that was a few years ago.

The last time we were here prior to this latest visit was in February 2013. The food was great, I had a spaghetti bolognaise and my husband had a calzone. The atmosphere was pleasant and surroundings were charmingly rustic, although no doubt identikit with all other Bella Italia’s in the country.

This latest visit was after a recent makeover, which apparently took place in March this year. I’m not certain what they were out to achieve to be honest. The walls are a sort of blue grey and everything looks a bit too bland and boring now, certainly not welcoming. I was also put off a tad by, after being shown to my seat, I had to clean it first. I can’t say I’ve been to a restaurant in my life with prices north of those at McDonald’s where I have had to give the seat a good wipe down first.

Considering the place was far from packed too, the noise level was a bit mad. We had to ask each other what we’d just said because we didn’t hear each other properly and shout a bit to be heard.

The service was quick, efficient and friendly though, so I can’t fault them to be honest, other than perhaps having a bit of a proper clean of a table and its chairs after someone has vacated them.

I ordered a soft drink and my husband had a glass of wine, which was fine. I had the same meal as I had last time, the spaghetti and my husband ordered a carbonara.

He informed me that his was wonderful and it did look nice. Mine was not though.

I know it’s a chain, but when I go to an Italian restaurant, I expect the food to be above mediocre I-could-have-done-better sort of fare.

There was too much sauce, it tasted sweet and sickly and the pasta was just your average supermarket bought stuff. As was the sauce to be honest. Yes, I sound picky, however going out these days is a rare treat so you expect to get more than what you’d get ordinarily. I honestly could have made it better myself with a jar of Ragu. It’s pretty much one of the most basic and popular dishes in an Italian restaurant and to sort of make it like that worried me a tad.

We ordered garlic bread with cheese on. It was quirkily served on a wooden chopping board and mounted on an empty tin of Italian tomatoes. I thought that was really quite fun and liked that a lot. However, for nearly six quid for a it, I thought that was a bit cheeky for what it was.

When we finished, we were visited by a wasp, which, as I’m heavily pregnant, wasn’t very easy for me to outrun. We tried to trap it a few times and throw it out the window, but to no avail. Eventually, we picked up the bill before the server could return and ran to the door and paid for our meal stood there. Our waiter told us that many customers have been struggling with wasps attacking them. Outside, I can understand it, but inside a restaurant people are being attacked by pests?

The staff were lovely, but the overall experience was a bit of a let-down. I had hoped to have a nice, relaxed and peaceful meal with my husband on a Saturday evening. Instead, I got a mediocre meal and chased by pests.

I will give them another, chance though, but I won’t be ordering my favourite meal again there. Which is kind of sad really.

• Visited August 2013