The New Beehive Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
    Midland Hotel(Bradford)
    • Breakfast included
    View Hotel
    All reviewsgas litreal aleand flat screen tvtea coffee making facilitiessaturday eveningcar parkstaircase
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed March 18, 2011

I try to seek out unusual and interesting hotels to stay, and this one certainly meets those criteria. A big old Edwardian inn, rambling and a bit well-worn, but real gaslight in the bars makes for a unique feel, smell and look. Great choice of real ales, lovely untouched original bar, very nice breakfast, in fact the young lady who does the breakfast is a credit to the Beehive..and exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff when I checked in too. Rooms have names not numbers, and I was in Salts...that's Titus Salt, ex-mayor of bradford, founder of Saltaire...I went out for a meal and found a brilliant curry/snack bar nearby, samosas, veg masala, rice and a soft drink, all for £4.50. Mind, this is a rather seamy part of town, so I'd leave my phone and wallet in the room! Lumb Lane nearby has it's own seamy reputation...So, with a total for B&B of £44, the smashing staff, and a unique experience of Edwardian interiors, I'll forgive the dodgy shower door, the two fire alarms ( false) in the night, the bizarre old TV that came on at maximum volume every time and the somewhat bizarre cast of characters...all friendly...that were there (including one, drunk, collapsed, halfway up the stairs and fairly incoherent)...ah well, such is the rich life of the traveller. Well worth a visit,

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
    3  Thank DurhamUKStuart
    Reviewed January 19, 2011

I said I would not say anything negative about the hotel, well here it goes.......

The Beer was good

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
    4  Thank bream
    Reviewed December 28, 2010

I chose the new beehive inn over the other bland chain hotels because i always seek out the unusual and preferably quirky - i researched it online - chose well - and would definitely stay there again.

As a single woman travelling alone I enjoyed the friendly atmospheric bar, real ale, original features, wood panelling, dimmed French bar style lighting and a welcoming open fire. Local drinkers at the bar gave me excellent advice on the best Indian restaurants, two of which were within a stone's throw and which i'd already researched online. I was on a course, stayed Monday and Tuesday night, and appreciate that it could be noisy at the weekend but that's obvious if you decide to stay at a pub.

This was my first time in Bradford and i enjoyed the company of everyone i met at the Inn. Breakfast was fine. Good bed. Shower slightly unpredictable but i got used to it. Appreciated the wi-fi.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
    Reviewed November 14, 2010

We stayed for two nights with friends - the landlord (William) was very genial and the staff were friendly. Live music was played but this did not detract from the excellent nights' sleep enjoyed by all of us.
    This place has quality, local ales and interesting customers. The gaslight bar with real fire was lovely after a day walking the hills around Bradford. This place needs to be celebrated.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
    Reviewed October 31, 2010

I spent a couple of nights here as I was attending a course at Bradford Royal Infirmary and wanted to stay somewhere other than the usual Holiday Inn type of place. I was attracted by the description of the gaslit, Edwardian interior and real ale!

My room was huge and very comfy, with very crisp clean sheets and free Wifi. It was also nice and warm, despite the cold weather outside, and there was piping hot water on demand so I could have a bath as soon as I got back from the hospital.

I had breakfast on both days and it was a delight, everything was cooked fresh with lovely ingredients and the staff were very attentive and made sure that I had everything I needed. The table was all laid out beautifully too, with the butter and jam in little dishes - it's details like this that make things more special. I sat in the bar for a bit on the Thursday night and tried some of the fab real ales, and it's very atmospheric with the gaslights though I was a bit disappointed that the fire wasn't lit, especially as it was so cold outside.

I had a wonderful peaceful night's sleep on the Thursday night. Sadly, I couldn't sleep at all on the Friday night because there was a band playing downstairs and it was incredibly noisy. I spoke to the manager the next morning and he seemed very concerned and said he would have moved me to a room in another part of the hotel if I had gone to see him. The noise was due to a band which had been booked for Halloween - had I not been on a course on Saturday morning I would have gone down to join in the festivities.

All in all, apart from the noise I had a lovely comfy stay and I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business