“Absolute disgrace in more ways than 1!”
Review of The Lister Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bradford
The Lister Hotel
Ranked #25 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Grassington, England
“Absolute disgrace in more ways than 1!”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

After being booked in via very helpful staff in a very pleasent manner we were looking forward to our stay for the weekend. Soon to find out the staff had gone and they had let the dogs in. From 8pm we wer being constantly disturbed by loud obnoxious horrible noise including music shouting and swearing. When we went down to complain we were met by a very rude gentleman! there was alot of drinking smoking and laughing occuring with a strong smell of cannabis in the air. The night staff was not at all helpful and we both were made to feel like dirt. On our wayback upstairs we noticed the asain gents were taking advantage of the rooms and using them as they did please. We then decided to leave the hotel after being treat in such a manor. We felt threatened inside with such a strong presence of young gentleman/ladies drugs and alcohol. We left that night and swore we would never return. We would not reccomend anybody used this hotel for a peaceful weekend. Unless of course its a brothel your looking for. Absolute disgrace

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank pugsy1964

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
NorthEast UK
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Used a Groupon deal to stay here on a Fri night with another couple. The receptionist Sarah recognised my voice when we checked in and what a lovely warm welcome we had! We both had the Deluxe rooms which were very spacious and well appointed. The Jacuzzi bath took a while to fill but was a fun addition. The breakfast was superb...lovely quality sausage and bacon cooked exactly as requested. The owner Marsha is starting a programme of refurbishment, even including the nicely decorated rooms we were in, to get the hotel back to the standard it enjoyed a short while ago. Have to say that they deserve to succeed...we had a great mini break and would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are very spacious
1 Thank BeemerF650
Reviewed March 23, 2014

PLEASE READ IT ALL - We arrived at this hotel to find it tired and dated looking but with the most amazingly lovely staff member (Sarah). She showed us to our room passing a broken bannister on the way. The room was not as clean as it could have been and the toilet seat was broken but the bed linen was fresh and the mattress was really comfortable. Sadly there were not bedside lamps. Not a problem, they would make sure one was added. However, I was tired and grumpy and decided that I did not want to stay in the hotel. Upon telling Sarah this, she was mortified, she explained that they had only recently taken it over and there was a lot to do and could she change our minds. She then took us to another room which was lovely and has obviously already had a bit of a makeover, it overlooked the park and was lovely. The room even had a Jacuzzi bath which was lovely (water was lovely and hot). We spent a pleasant evening in the bar which was not the usual hotel rip off prices and were made to feel extremely welcoming. The bed was amazing, we slept like babies. The cooked breakfast was really nice and again staff were wonderful. So to break it down:

Negatives:

1. Needs a revamp in many areas of the hotel;
2. Housekeeping need to have clear guidelines for consistency of cleanliness.
3. In deluxe rooms could do with bath sheets rather than towels.
4. The website needs updating as to what is included in the price.

Positives:
1. Staff were absolutely amazing, friendly and helpful. Customer service was exceptional;
2. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in;
3. The breakfast was lovely and fresh and hot;
4. The hotel bar was not at usual hotel rip off prices.

So in a nutshell, I will stay again and look forward to seeing how much further they have developed the refurbishment.

Thank you for looking after us and being so accommodating.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Was rather nervous due to some of reviews but had booked so was going!. We was met by a lovely young lady, friendly and very welcoming and shown to a lovely luxury jacuzzi suite. We had previously arranged for an evening meal, and breakfast wasn't a problem at 7.30am for us, dinner and breakfast was lovely. The hotel was spotless, I couldn't find a speck of dust in our room!! Sarah's mum who was working the following morning was just as lovely and told us they was working hard to build the hotels reputation back up and what a brilliant job they are doing. Nothing was too much trouble for them, we have re booked to go back in a few months to again enjoy the big jacuzzi and have a lovely stress free weekend. They admitted to us that there has been problems with unruly guests in the past but they have stopped just anyone staying at the hotel and have started the redecoration process. I couldn't and wouldn't fault our stay it was a pleasurable experience and look forward to going back. Keep up the good work ladies, what a pleasure it was to meet you.

Room Tip: Stay in the luxury jacuzzi suites
newcastle
Reviewed March 3, 2014

What an experience!! I was staying at the Lister for an exam the following morning in the Bradford Royal Infirmary. I arrived to be shown to my room, but no other information given about facilities, breakfast etc. When asking I got a very vague answer of 'they sometimes arrive about 7.30-8 to start cooking but I'm not sure' so no breakfast for me needing to leave at 7.45.....
The room was mostly clean and was scruffy but adequate. The only heating was a plugged in electric heater in the corner of the room. When I arrived it was off and the window was open so the room was freezing! Nice big TV though and jacuzzi bath as promised.
As I was going to bed about 10.30 the fun started.. There was lots of banging and high pitched screams coming from another room. I also noticed a strong smell of cannibis coming into my room. When I went out to look there was a room clearly with a load of people in having some form of party and smoking a significant amount of cannibis. I rang down to reception and the guy working there acted shocked and said he would deal with it. I had heard him 10 minutes previously telling them they should keep it down. I was given the impression they were friends of the person working there. People were coming and going from the hotel regularly until late at night.
The lady working there in the morning was extremely nice and apologetic for what had happened and said that she would look into this.
As a young woman staying on my own I didn't feel particularly safe so overall not a good experience. I certainly wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank rjsmailes
Marsha L, Manager at The Lister Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
We are disappointed that you had this experience whilst staying with us, we have taken measures and put procedures in place with night staff so this kind of thing does not happen again, unfortunately it is hard to vet online booking customers before hand but with the new procedures and security measures in place, we can guarantee this kind of behavior in the hotel will not happen again.

Travelers are raving about these Bradford hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed here for a weekend and the room was absolutely huge (luxury double). We were impressed with the big telly, the cooked breakfast and loved the jacuzzi bath. Unfortunately, as it was in the process of changing hands, there was a lot of room for improvement... the bed was very uncomfortable (could feel the springs in the mattress), the curtains didn't shut out any light, there was no light bulb in the lamp, the bath leaked water even when the plug was shut, and there was no food available in the restaurant (no chef). We would have liked a few more things to make it 'luxury' like more toiletries, bigger towels and maybe some biscuits with the tea/coffee tray. Apart from that, the staff were lovely and the hotel building is certainly impressive. Perhaps we'll go back in a few months when they've made some essential improvements...!

Room Tip: Get a room with jacuzzi bath!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Having came to Bradford on a business trip I decided to stay in this hotel I was so impressed with my room and the friendliness off the staff that I decided I stay here during the full duration of my stay in the Bradford area. The price was good and I must comment on the older night watchman who was always willing to go out his way to help me even taking me to a cash point to save me the walk. I couldn't fault the hotel at all and would definitely stay here again and thank you for your hospitality

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford
The Cartwright Hotel
#15 of 27 in Bradford
Ibis Bradford Shipley
Ibis Bradford Shipley
#1 of 2 in Shipley

Been to The Lister Hotel? Share your experiences!