“Consistently good curry”
Review of Punjab Sweet House

Punjab Sweet House
Reserve with OpenTable
Punjab Sweet House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #369 of 719 Restaurants in Bradford
Cuisines: Indian
Description: This has been established for many many years in Bradford and is one of my favourites
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Every local has their own favourite curry house in Bradford. Unlike a lot of other towns, the curry restaurants here aren't all the same. They all deliver slightly different flavours and when you find one that works for you, then you tend to stick with it, a bit like a political affiliation.

For years I was a follower of the famous Kashmir restaurant. Somehow they achieved consistency for over 20 years, but unfortunately it all changed 2 or 3 years back and the flavour disappeared. After a few attempts at trying to find a replacement I landed at the Punjab and have now become a party member.

It is good honest food in a decent environment. The grilled starters are some of the best you will find. The samosas and pakoras also hit the mark. The mains offer some interesting non standard choices but I have usually stuck to Chicken Ginger and that old Bradford standard, the Karahi Keema. Breads are all good and freshly prepared. Above all, this place is totally consistent, including the service, which is always quick and polite. Spicing is as hot as you require, but the standard offers a nice medium heat with plenty of nicely balanced flavours able to punch through the heat.

Prices are pretty standard, I usually spend between 10 to 12 quid per head. Its worth noting, like a lot of decent eateries in Bradford, its alcohol free.

Its worth the drive, or walk, out of town to get to this place and its close to the Fighting Cock, a real old ale house perfect for CAMRA types - the ideal combination for the middle aged man(or lady) with a slow growing paunch!

1  Thank norrisbeak

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Been to Punjab Sweet House in Bradford about 30 times in the last 3 years or so.
The food is not bad, not "great" -but adequate- fills me and my wife and we have never had a problem except once in the first few months = when we were billed wrong and had to sort this out.
Otherwise - taken friends, families, and everyone I know there - and the food is generally consistent - priced sensibly and food delivered on time.
The only thing I fail to appreciate is my clothes smell of spice everytime - the heating does not seem to be on when needed - (turn it up!) and the toilets is a bit dated and could help if the staff keep an eye on it and keep this clean.
Parking is free ( as of today) - and this helps.
Would I recommend - no reason why not - ideal for upto 5 adults.
Would I go again - I keep going!
Its one of those places - "If it ain't broke - don't fix it" -

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is the 3rd time I have been to the Punjab. Food is delicious (that's coming frm a big foody. Me & my partner tend to travel out of town a fair bit for good food. This is a nice clean restaurant where you don't have to get dressed up to the nines. Good relaxing atmosphere & prices are reasonable. The home made aaloo samosas are divine, lamb handi will blow you away.. Infact the best I have ever sampled & pretty Damn good mango lassi too. Surprisingly Damn good food, puts your mumtaz, anams etc to shame. Waiter service was fab too. Happy days a new local for us....

Reviewed March 9, 2013

My family and I (wife and 4 kids) have been going here for over 10 years and its fine. The problem is in my opinion it's hit and miss. Starters are always nice. Ensure your not seated next to the downstairs disabled toilets. The pan is about a metre from your table -yuk. The staff needs to limit it to disabled use and not just for lazy people who can't be bothered to walk up a dozen steps. The sweets in the mathai shop are the best ever though - always fresh <3

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Very basic menu from one of the oldest curry houses in Bradford, however the all day Indian breakfasts are a must. If you want glitz and glamour this isn't the place for you, if you want outstanding home cooked style Pakistani food, you need to pay them a visit.