“Nothing much to see”
Review of Cartwright Hall

Cartwright Hall
Ranked #11 of 87 things to do in Bradford
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Very nice garden though. but the museum is not verymuch attractive. they should have put more historical items to attract people. The modern painting is not my cup of tea

Reviewed November 30, 2011

I was disappointed on my visit that so many rooms couldnt be accessed by the public. What exhibitions they did have were so spaced apart to make it look *more*. You had to walk through "Manningham Park" to get to the building, something I wouldnt recommend as the Manningham area is called a "no go" area by some locals and I could see why...gangs of youths, ugly shops and it's dirty. I actually had chappati's stuck to the wheels of my car. I wont be going back again

2  Thank worrascam
Reviewed November 30, 2011

A chance to take the kids to see some art etc without the stuffiness of a traditional gallery. Well placed within Lister Park it's easy to make a day of it with a picnic.

Reviewed October 3, 2011

Cartwright Hall is a fairly large Victorian exhibition hall in the middle of Lister Park (known locally as Manningham Park). It has two floors, the lower floor houses temporary exhibitions and work spaces. The upper floor (lift access) has the more permanent pieces.

The hall shows art from contemporary artists from all over the world as well as the more “traditional” oil paintings and sculptures.

Younger children are catered for with areas dedicated to scribbling and doodling - thus leaving parents free to browse. The cheerful staff are happy to answer questions. The use of cameras depends on the exhibit - best ask first!

We have been many times and a typical visit to the hall lasts around 1 to 2 hours.

The Park itself is stunning and frequently wins national awards for its gardens and fountains. The large lake has paddle boats for hire during the summer. The lake-side café is exorbitantly expensive. One packet of crisps was 80p. One ice cream was £2. Despite this, the hot chocolate is welcome on a winter’s day, but otherwise my advise would be: take a picnic!

There are a number of 5-a-side football pitches and a couple of tennis courts. There is a band-stand and a (members only) bowling green. One side of the park has a modestly sized botanical garden, the highlight of which is a fossilised tree stump. The children’s playground is always a winner with our brood. It is split into two parts, one for the younger ones. But the attraction of the massive climbing frame is too great for our 5 year-old, who now thinks the smaller part is “too babyish” for her!

There is a small car park, accessed from North Park Road, as well as on-street parking.

Reviewed September 9, 2011

After a very disappointing visit to both Leeds and York City Art Galleries, I wasn't holding much hope on this visit being enjoyable. How wrong I could be. I'm not fan of modern art but this gallery as got the mix of traditional, modern and asian just right. As a fan of the Pre-Raphaelites was pleased to see a few on display here. I was disappointed that there was no gift shop to buy postcards and books but apart from that, a superb day out. Loved it.

1  Thank Susie M