“Enjoyable visit”
Review of Alhambra Theatre

Alhambra Theatre
Ranked #2 of 81 things to do in Bradford
More attraction details
Owner description: The Alhambra Theatre is regarded as the North's premier touring venue and hosts the best in large scale entertainment from ballet and opera to variety and comedy, musicals, drama and Yorkshire's biggest panto.The venue seats 1,400 people and is a popular choice for major touring companies including Northern Ballet Theatre, Matthew Bourne's New Adventures and David Ian Productions (Chicago, Grease, The Sound of Music). It has staged major West End shows including Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Miss Saigon. It is a member of The Dance Consortium, a group of theatres who work together to bring the best in international dance to the UK.The Alhambra also offers a unique and unrivalled setting for meetings, events, corporate hospitality and conferences in Bradford.
Leeds, United Kingdom
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“Enjoyable visit”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I took my mum to see The Lion King for her birthday.

The Alhambra is a well situated venue in the heart of Bradford City Centre easily walkable from the Bradford Interchange or Forster Square stations and in the vicinity of Centenary Square with well-known and affordable bars and restaurants. There are a few public and private car parks nearby, the best one is on Randall Well Street and free after 6pm but for this reason it gets full very quickly! We parked at Wilton Street car park which wasn't free but reasonably priced and in a good location. The venue looks lovely lit up at night. Inside it's clean and well maintained. I'd describe the decor as quite grand whilst still being down-to-earth. There were desks where you could buy programs and memoribilia. There were kiosks to buy snacks and I understand there's a bar and restaurant although I can't comment on these facilities as we didn't use them.

Our seats were on row J which is 3rd down from the back of the upper circle seats. They cost £32.50 each. When I booked I was after cheap seats and the cheapest were £25 so I went for these ones because they were still cheap but I was also hoping they'd be a bit better than the cheapest, I wish I'd thought this through! I've sat in upper circle seats before at various venues and been absolutely fine but because the seats at The Alhambra are on a really steep incline and I'm scared of heights I felt very anxious getting to/from my seat as did my mum who is also scared of heights. Nevertheless this subsided as we settled in to watching the performance and we noticed that the steep incline helps you to be able to see what's happening in the show despite sitting far up and back away from the stage. The sound production was fantastic so despite sitting in these seats I felt we still had the same experience of the music and performances as other members of the audience in better seats.

There were some disappointments with our visit which could have been avoided. I was told on booking the tickets that the performance would finish at 10pm so we payed for parking until 10:18pm. The interval was 20-25 minutes long and my mum and I spent all of this time queuing for the toilets; I understand the interval was actually lengthened because of the queues. In the toilet block we queued for there were 3 out of 4 cubicles available for use with 1 out of order. There appeared to be one toilet block per floor (for each sex); the seats in the audience seemed to be fully booked so the availability of toilets was not adequate. The show didn't end up finishing until 10:15pm so I had to leave before the end in order to avoid getting a parking ticket. When an usher saw me leaving before the end she asked if I was ok and I explained the situation, she didn't even acknowledge what I'd said let alone offer any apologies.

We really enjoyed the show and the atmosphere of the Alhambra. The things that could be improved would be better toilet facilties/adequate availability and/or more accurate information about the show's finish time and/or a dedicated free car park for customers - with any one of these changes I wouldn't have had to miss the end of the show which was disappointing.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Charlimcbean

west yorkshire uk
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“My visit”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

My daughter and I went to see the Lion King which was a fabulous production and thoroughly enjoyable show. The only down side are the ticket prices which we had paid £72.50 each for seats in the balcony, not a lot of leg room but this is an old buiding . The only down side was that the fire alarm sounded at the beginning of the interval and one minute we were told to leave the theatre and then we heard on the radios that it was a false alarm no one seemed to know what to do in the situation, however we left to stand outside in the pouring rain but no information was forth coming from any of the staff, utter choas! eventually we returned to our seats in enjoy the second half of the show.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank ladybanker55
Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Unacceptable seating.”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I've been twice in the last few months and more fool me. The Upper Circle is not fit for purpose. The view is obscured by a large brass rail and the seats are incredibly uncomfortable. It feels a bit like you haven't actually been let in to see the show and you are somehow outside - uncomfortably watching an obscured performance from a distance. I had been really looking forward to the Lion King but after last night I was so disappointed, I don't think I will go to the Alhambra again and I don't recommend you do either.

Visited April 2014
7 Thank ssorcle
Bradford, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“okay”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

pretty standard but clean and value for the city centre and the venue,a good stocked bar if you enjoy a drink with your meal.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank angela k
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Must watch The Lion King!!”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I went to go watch The Lion King with my Partner on 26th March 14 - It was absolutely fantastic, after watching the same production company in London I wondered if it would be as good on tour and it was. 100% worth the money we paid to go and watch. I would recommend getting a taxi if you are not far from the Theatre as we really struggled to get parked up.
The prices for refreshements during the break were also good.
I agree with previous reviews the seats were not too good. Both me and my partner ended up with numb bums and slight back ache so try make yourself comfortable if you can.
But overall fantastic, thoroughly enjoyed this show!

Visited March 2014