“Mike - Hotel stay”

Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Mike - Hotel stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

This is a historic hotel with non of the stuffiness that might be associated with hotels of this kind. The staff are the friendliest I have know in any hotel. Nothing is too much for them. Rooms a always clean and comfortable. I would highly recommend this as a great place to stay in the city of Bradford.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike R
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Mike R

Thank you for your review, this really is a huge compliment to both my team and myself. I really do appreciate you taking the time to post it on Tripadvisor.

Your comments are extremely generous, and it is always a pleasure to take care of you during your visits to Bradford.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Midland at some point in the future. Until such time may I wish you a very happy Christmas, and a prosperous 2014

Gary Peacock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Polish first
Skipton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

I have stayed at the Midland in Bradford on a number of occasions and have both arranged and attended formal events there too. The staff are extremely helpful, nothing is too much trouble and they make you feel so welcome. Organising events is made very straightforward and as group coordinator you feel really supported. The standard of accommodation - bedrooms and meeting rooms - and hospitality/catering is excellent. Highly recommended - it's central and has a free car park too.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ES_PA2013
Dear ES_PA2013

Your review is most generous in all areas of the hotel, thank you so much. It makes me very happy to receive such kind feedback and I genuinely cannot wait to share it with my team.

Our events team work extremely hard in getting it right for our customers I am thrilled you keep coming back for more.

May I take this opportunity to wish you a very happy and relaxing Christmas from my team and myself.

Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Really appreciated the 'nothing is too much trouble' approach of the staff. We used it for a business meeting, and had the two course lunch in the restaurant, which was great value. Has to be one of the best historic buildings in Bradford - nice to meet somewhere central with free parking.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim99873
Dear Tim 99873

Thank you for choosing the Midland to hold your business meeting and lunch.

Your review was most generous, it pleases me that my team took such good care of you. Our guests are extremely important to the hotel; we will do our very best in meeting their needs.

May I also thank you for your equally kind comments on the hotel, I must agree with you it is a beautiful historic building and a pleasure to work in.

May I wish you a happy Christmas from my team and myself.

west yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed one night, the room was spacious and very clean. No real view but it is town centre.The whole hotel is very tasteful and full of charm. You can still see the history if you enter by the rear of the building , it was built for the railways. Lovely touch . Food is fab and very good value for money, bed was very comfy . Staff are friendly too. Would def use the hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank vodkasue
Dear Vodkasue

Thank you for kind review. I am so glad you entered the hotel along our beautiful Victorian passageway; it really is like stepping back in time.

I will pass your comments on to my team, who I can assure you will be just as thrilled as I am.

May I take this opportunity to wish you a very happy Christmas.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

Lovely old fashioned style with a lot of history within the walls, in need of a little refurbishment here and there but an enjoyable experience never the less. I would bring a few extra pennies as the bar is very expensive cost 16 pound for four small drinks, but other than that I have little bad things to say.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Dominic T

I am glad you had an enjoyable experience here at the Midland Hotel recently.

The hotel has undergone major refurbishment over the last few years and there are some amazing areas of historical interest also as you point out. In regards to drinks prices the main guest bar is cheaper than the more nationally known chains deliberately, and obviously the prices are determined by the choice of drink and I as I am unaware of your order I am unfortunately unable to comment any further.

I am pleased that you took the time and trouble to write your review; many thanks indeed.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Lovely old hotel with real charm and character. We attended a wedding here. The function rooms and bar are great. The rooms are a bit tired which is why the 3 star rating. Breakfast was lovely. Just a small point but most of the staff are not English. They tended to chat between themselves in their own language while serving customers. This is not great customer service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AnotherTerasa

Thank you for your review, it is important for me to receive guest feedback. Most of our rooms have had or are having an upgrading and we’ve been refurbishing the hotel from a very low standard for a number of years. Should you afford us the pleasure of your custom again you will be able to see, perhaps, some of our newer Executive rooms.

I am glad you found the hotel charming and with character and I do hope you enjoyed the wedding you attended.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Cambridge UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

We booked the “weekend romantic break”, which included a bottle of champagne, strawberries and evening meal, rather than two nights’ B&B as it was actually significantly cheaper. When we arrived, we found the room we were booked into (146) faced the street, despite having asked for a quiet room at the back. The alternative we were offered (136) was a lot smaller, had a much smaller bed, and a much inferior bathroom, so we stuck with the original choice.

Dinner was dreadful. There were many clues - at 8pm on a Friday night there was one other couple in the huge restaurant, there was a large TV screen in the corner (thankfully not switched on!) and almost all the tables were set for breakfast.

Things started badly when my wife found quite a large piece of cling-film in her mackerel roulade. She left the rest.

For the main course, my wife had roast chicken with mushroom gnocchi – a giant bowl of gnocchi, swimming in sauce, with a piece of roast chicken plonked on top. My pan fired chicken with ratatouille and baby basil jus was worse – see the picture. The ‘ratatouille’ was clearly made from vegetables, but there was no way of knowing what. The so-called jus was like gravy and the large amount of oil in it was already separating out – see picture again - and it was just poured over the top of the ratatouille!

Presentation 0/10, taste 2/10. Undoubtedly the worst presented meal I have been served in years.

The website says “Head Chef … provides a superb menu of contemporary British cuisine served with flair and imagination”. Sorry – not so last Friday night.

We left almost everything. When queried by the staff (who I have to say were very good and very concerned that we were unhappy) they offered to replace it all or give us a bottle of wine – but frankly we just didn’t want any more of that standard of food. When we commented to the restaurant manager about the place being so empty, he said he thought it was because the locals just didn’t know they were there, and that they needed to advertise more. Personally I think it was more likely to be because they got zero repeat business, and the large number of excellent ethnic restaurants in Bradford.

Breakfast, in contrast, was very good.

The website advertises WiFi in Executive bedrooms. The WiFi signal was totally undetectable in room 146 (on 2 different devices).

In summary; OK value for money; they have no idea what a romantic break SHOULD be like; nice staff; good breakfast; convenient on-site parking; dine somewhere else.

Oh yes, I almost forgot – I see that the management reply to every single review, positive or negative. Please, please – just this once – don’t.

In my personal experience (I stay at many more hotels than I review here) this only happens in hotels that, coincidentally, I have rated poorly. I would rather they focus on the issues that guests raise rather than praising us publicly - it doesn’t make us feel any better to be told we are wonderful by a hotel manager. I would rather the management just quietly took comments (positive and negative) on board and used their time to address issues and improve the guest experience rather than spending hours composing Tripadvisor replies. Just my experience and opinion – others may well disagree ... especially the management :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank UK-EastAngle
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear UK-CB4

I will comply with your wishes.