“Nice old building but rooms need a facelift” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Midland Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Midland Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
London, United Kingdom
“Nice old building but rooms need a facelift”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Lovely old hotel with real charm and character. We attended a wedding here. The function rooms and bar are great. The rooms are a bit tired which is why the 3 star rating. Breakfast was lovely. Just a small point but most of the staff are not English. They tended to chat between themselves in their own language while serving customers. This is not great customer service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear AnotherTerasa

Thank you for your review, it is important for me to receive guest feedback. Most of our rooms have had or are having an upgrading and we’ve been refurbishing the hotel from a very low standard for a number of years. Should you afford us the pleasure of your custom again you will be able to see, perhaps, some of our newer Executive rooms.

I am glad you found the hotel charming and with character and I do hope you enjoyed the wedding you attended.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Gary Peacock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Polish first
Cambridge UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

We booked the “weekend romantic break”, which included a bottle of champagne, strawberries and evening meal, rather than two nights’ B&B as it was actually significantly cheaper. When we arrived, we found the room we were booked into (146) faced the street, despite having asked for a quiet room at the back. The alternative we were offered (136) was a lot smaller, had a much smaller bed, and a much inferior bathroom, so we stuck with the original choice.

Dinner was dreadful. There were many clues - at 8pm on a Friday night there was one other couple in the huge restaurant, there was a large TV screen in the corner (thankfully not switched on!) and almost all the tables were set for breakfast.

Things started badly when my wife found quite a large piece of cling-film in her mackerel roulade. She left the rest.

For the main course, my wife had roast chicken with mushroom gnocchi – a giant bowl of gnocchi, swimming in sauce, with a piece of roast chicken plonked on top. My pan fired chicken with ratatouille and baby basil jus was worse – see the picture. The ‘ratatouille’ was clearly made from vegetables, but there was no way of knowing what. The so-called jus was like gravy and the large amount of oil in it was already separating out – see picture again - and it was just poured over the top of the ratatouille!

Presentation 0/10, taste 2/10. Undoubtedly the worst presented meal I have been served in years.

The website says “Head Chef … provides a superb menu of contemporary British cuisine served with flair and imagination”. Sorry – not so last Friday night.

We left almost everything. When queried by the staff (who I have to say were very good and very concerned that we were unhappy) they offered to replace it all or give us a bottle of wine – but frankly we just didn’t want any more of that standard of food. When we commented to the restaurant manager about the place being so empty, he said he thought it was because the locals just didn’t know they were there, and that they needed to advertise more. Personally I think it was more likely to be because they got zero repeat business, and the large number of excellent ethnic restaurants in Bradford.

Breakfast, in contrast, was very good.

The website advertises WiFi in Executive bedrooms. The WiFi signal was totally undetectable in room 146 (on 2 different devices).

In summary; OK value for money; they have no idea what a romantic break SHOULD be like; nice staff; good breakfast; convenient on-site parking; dine somewhere else.

Oh yes, I almost forgot – I see that the management reply to every single review, positive or negative. Please, please – just this once – don’t.

In my personal experience (I stay at many more hotels than I review here) this only happens in hotels that, coincidentally, I have rated poorly. I would rather they focus on the issues that guests raise rather than praising us publicly - it doesn’t make us feel any better to be told we are wonderful by a hotel manager. I would rather the management just quietly took comments (positive and negative) on board and used their time to address issues and improve the guest experience rather than spending hours composing Tripadvisor replies. Just my experience and opinion – others may well disagree ... especially the management :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank UK-EastAngle
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear UK-CB4

I will comply with your wishes.

West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

The Victorian showpiece hotel of the Midland Railway Company and it is gloriously over-the-top with sweeping staircases, grand ballrooms etc. It seems to have been completely renovated in the past couple of years and has all modern conveniences alongside its old-style charm. We had a lovely couple of days here and ate splendidly in the Grill Room restaurant. Staff were relaxed but attentive.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Mirrirman

How very kind of you to put this generous review on Tripadvisor. I am so glad you and your family had such a nice experience whilst staying with us here at the Midland, my team will be equally pleased when I pass on your kind comments.

The Midland Hotel is a pleasure to work in and it’s very nice when we have guests from abroad who can enjoy this very charming Victorian building.

On a lighter note (hopefully) I do hope the weather was kind to you.

Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

First the good things - friendly staff for whom nothing was too much trouble, the restauarant served up a delicious breakfast and the hotel's interiors are spectacular. The room was spacious, clean and well appointed.

What needs addressing - the bed was uncomfortable, being too soft but that may be a question of preference. The bathroom shower head could not be adjusted readily for flow or temperature.

But I would definitely return

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Richard W

Thank you for taking time to write this review, it is nice when guests staying with us on business take the time to post reviews. I can appreciate you are extremely busy, but it’s nice for the hotel to get feedback and important to Tripadvisor users to choose the right hotel for their needs.

I am sorry you found your bed too soft, we do try to get comfort rating medium, I will personally take a look at the bed and the shower today.

May I thank you for your comments regarding my team, they work very hard and I look forward to discussing your review with them.

Hull, england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is superb with lovely high ceilings and luxurious decor. It had modern facilities such as power showers and wifi but has a feel of a bygone era. The entrance with its railway signs and vintage suitcases are an excellent touch. The hotel is centrally located for the Alhambra theatre, with good parking facilities. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear helenJHull

How very kind of you to post this very generous review. I really appreciate your comments. We very much like to take good care of our guests and your review makes it all worthwhile.

The Midland Hotel is a beautiful building and a pleasure to work in, and as you mentioned we are in a good central location should our guests wish to venture out and about.

I hope we have the pleasure of your company at some point in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 day stay at the midland as a birthday treat. We chose Bradford as a good base to explore bronte country and we weren't disappointed with our choice. Bradford is a bit rough around the edges but none the worse for that and the midland is definitely the place to stay. The hotel has the feeling of a film set with opulent yet cosy public areas, a wide staircase and inviting nooks and crannies. Our room was of a high standard with all the usual facilities, a good bath/ shower, modern decor and even an ironing board. The breakfast was excellent, all cooked to order and fresh and very filling! So much better than those buffet breakfasts with congealing eggs kept warm under heat lamps. Staff are extremely warm and helpful. One of our aims was to sample bradford's famous curries so we went to akbar's one night and mumtaz the next. Akbar's just has the edge as it was better value for money and the portions huge! But mumtaz deserves a visit too - slightly more upmarket and a more relaxing environment. The food at both was excellent. Bradford and environs are very accessible by train..no car needed in our experience. Overall, we were very, very pleased with our stay at the midland!

Room Tip: Upgrade to one of the more updated rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Chrisineplusfam

Thank you for posting this very pleasing review, from start to finish it was a pleasure to read. I am looking forward to sharing it with my team, who may I say work very hard to ensure our guests are taken good care of.

I am so glad you sampled two of our many famous curry restaurants, I have to agree with you they are both very good.

It does seem as though you had a lovely time for your birthday treat and thank you for choosing the Midland Hotel, for your stay here in Bradford.

It would be a pleasure in welcoming you back to stay with us, for any upcoming occasion you may have in the future.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

This was my second visit here, the first being five years ago, but sadly there has been a decline. This is where George Formby, Laurel and Hardy, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones have all stayed. This time I took my lady friend and it was generally worthwhile. The down-sides were that it was a mild late summer type of evening and there was tthe heaviest of winter duvets on the bed, also the breakfasts, which last time were special, did hit the mark this time. Their evening meals starting at £22 seemed a bit pricy but don't expect to find any great restaurants outside - there are none. We took the Weatherspoons.

Room Tip: No particular outside distractions - book through outside agency.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Geoff S

May I thank you for taking the time to write this review and also visiting us for the second time.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Should you afford us the pleasure of your company for the third time, housekeeping would be more than happy to select a duvet that best suits your needs. I appreciate we may not get it right, especially in between seasons.

I am sorry you decided not to dine with us on this occasion, as the Table D’hôte menu at £22.95 for three courses is very popular with our guests.

Thank you once again for this review.