“Not as described on website!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Midland Hotel

Midland Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Bradford, West Yorkshire
“Not as described on website!”
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Visited grill restaurant for a family birthday on a Saturday night. There were only two other people in there at the time so that wasn't a good sign. From the website it looked good. However, the food was overpriced and poor quality. To pay £12 for fish and chips when they have obviously come out of the freezer is basically a rip off. The chips were certainly not home made and were just like I buy from Morrisons from the freezer aisle! I asked the waitress if they were frozen and she said she didn't know which is hard to believe. Overall, the waiting staff were good but had very little to do as no one else came in all night. It was a big disappointment as I'd had some lovely bar lunches in the hotel in the past and expected more. It seems the restaurant is low priority for the hotel while they concentrate on big events and room bookings. What a missed opportunity though. Won't be going back.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank jmf2106
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear jmf2106

I am very sorry you didn't enjoy your meal with us on your recent visit to our restaurant. Please would you accept my sincere apologies. The restaurant staff would have been more than happy to change any dish that didn’t meet our guest’s expectation level. Furthermore then hotel duty manager is always on call to assist any guest within the hotel and restaurant should anyone wish to register an immediate complaint or want issues dealt with. The Fish and Chips should be with hand cut chips, and I am sorry that on this occasion it would appear that the chef on Duty did not supply this. I will of course investigate and discuss this with the Head Chef.

I would like to assure you all our guests are equally important to the hotel, no matter the size of party. I do apologise if you felt this was not the case on this occasion.

Thank you for having taken the time and trouble to have written your review, your comments have been most useful.

Gary Peacock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
Wisbech, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I have been staying at the hotel during the week for the past 4 weeks on business.

It had been recommended to me by other colleagues who also stay here on a regular basis and they're not wrong! What a nice place to be!

As you walk in from the car park through an area that mirrors an old fashioned railway concourse it gives you a taste of the classically styled elegance of the public areas of the hotel.

The entrance lobby is grand and welcoming. The check in process has always been smooth and professional and although I don't drink, being offered a glass of wine on check-in is a very nice touch.

The rooms I have staying in so far have ranged from small (but perfectly adequate for the business traveller) to very large and grand.

The key factor here regarding the rooms is that despite the differences in style dependant on the room they are consistently clean and in good working order. The bathrooms are nicely styled with power showers and good quality complimentary toiletries.

As yet I've not eaten in the restaurant so cannot comment on it but I have had room service numerous times and each time the food has arrived quickly, exactly as ordered and tasted delicious.

In summary then this is a fantastically grand place to stay with the quality of service, staff and food to match.

My only suggestion to improve on an already top quality establishment would be to perhaps turn the heating down in the public areas a bit as it's too hot for me (but I do feel the heat more than most).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear prelliott6277

Wow! I can’t think of anything else to start this reply with, how very kind of you to take the time to put such a kind and detailed review on Tripadvisor.

May I thank you for staying with us at the Midland for 4 weeks. I would also like to thank your colleague recommending our hotel to you. It really is important to my team and myself to make sure our guests are taken good care of when they are visiting or staying with us at the hotel, so as you can imagine I will get a lot of pleasure in passing on your comments to my team.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Midland at some point in the future

scarborough
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for two nights whilst attending a birthday party at the hotel on one of the nights, I can honestly say it was a wonderful experience! the room was lovely, with an amazing shower, and a really comftable bed.
All the staff we met were so friendly and very helpful, I would like to say a special thankyou to one member of staff ( I do not know her name) she was the manageress of the resturant I think! she was wonderful!
The party that we attended was amazing! I have never tasted such gorgeous food at a buffet and the bar staff were amazing, I would go back to this hotel in a heart beat!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear deniseScarborough

Your review is most generous and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our number one job is to take good care of our guests and when we receive wonderful feedback such as yours it makes it all worthwhile.

I will pass you comments onto my team, especially restaurant and housekeeping. I do hope your friend or family member had a great birthday, by the sound of your review I think they may have.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to the Midland in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Really great hotel. I would recommend it. We were a large group all staying in the hotel and holding meetings in their Forester Room. The staff were really friendly. Rooms very comfortable. Breakfast first class especially the fruit which actually tasted fresh. They also do a mean English breakfast. A small group had lunch in the hotel first in the dinning room then at the bar. Delicious.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Teenagh

Thank you so much for this very pleasing review, I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. The Forster Suite is such a nice room and perfect for meetings.

I look forward to passing your kind comments to my team, as I know they work very hard to ensure our guests are taken good care of.

I do hope we are able to look after you again, either for business or pleasure

bury
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We had a lovely stay we had been booked in with friends for the Saturday night., We were visiting the napoleaon casino as a birthday presant for our friends husband and it was our anniversary.
We stayed saturday 21st sept . Must comment on the reception staff at check in they were friendly and very helpfull made us feel very welcome.
Our rooms were excutive twins and were up to executive standard, bath robes slippers large tv fridge etc., and spotless. Would def recommend you stay if are visiting bradford.
Must take a look at the ballroom the chandelier is amazing.

Room Tip: The executive twin or double rooms are real value for £83 night bed and breakfast.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear 966eamondine

I am so glad you decided to stay at the Midland Hotel on Saturday night whilst celebrating your friends birthday and your anniversary. What a great way to spend your evening by going to the casino, I do hope you had a little luck.

My reception team will be thrilled when they see your very kind comments, they work very hard to make sure our guest are taken very good care of. I will also pass your equally kind comments on to the housekeeping team.

May I thank you for recommending the Midland Hotel to other Tripadvisor users.

Bingley
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We have just held our second Charity ball at this hotel and as before we were astounded by the hotel. They bent over backwards to accommodate us and every single on of our guests had a fantastic time. The Princes Ballroom is beautiful and the mirrors and chandelier really add something special to the room.
I feel that we would not have had the special attention that we got here anywhere else and will definitely be coming back here if we do it again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Victoria B

May I begin by expressing my heartfelt gratitude on having your 2nd annual Charity Ball here at the Midland. Your comments will make the whole team very happy, they are a great team and a review such as this one makes it all worthwhile.

I have worked here ten years and I never tire of looking at the Princes Ballroom, it makes any occasion amazing, I can imagine your masked ball exceeded this!

I am thrilled you enjoyed my team taking such good care of you and your guests, it was our absolute pleasure. It will also be my continued pleasure in welcoming you back here for your 3rd annual ball.

Kind Regards
Worksop, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a Tuesday night as a result of reading reviews. Stayed in room 114 which is located at the front. The room was ok. I feel the place is now in need decorating. Our room had a comfortable bed. The ceiling paper is starting to part company with the plaster. The bathroom again was ok. The sealant around the bath and all around the shower glass screen was going black from mold and mildew. The room was generally clean and tidy. Reception staff were polite and professional. The restaurant food was average. The pudding rhubarb crumble clearly came out the microwave and tasted as such. The breakfast was a challenging experience. Despite ordering a cooked breakfast without bacon, it turned up complete with beans which were never ordered. I found that the waiters donot write your order down so forget it! In conclusion I got the room at a discount so I was happy with the shortcomings. If I had paid the £100+ if booked through the hotel the rating would have been lower again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear christopher_cave1

It was most kind of you to book the Midland Hotel as a result of reading our Tripadvisor reviews. I feel it’s a fantastic way for our new and returning customers to get a good honest idea of what to expect when they stay with us. Thank you for pointing out the deficiencies with room standards, I have checked the room personally and instructed maintenance to rectify the faults. I will also investigate the issues you raised with breakfast with the restaurant supervisor and head chef as the pudding should be gently oven baked.

In conclusion I am extremely grateful for your honest review, bringing these issues to my attention which enables me to make improvements for future guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Midland in the future.

Kind Regards