“Lovely hotel - it might depend on your room though!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Midland Hotel

Midland Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Lancaster, UK
“Lovely hotel - it might depend on your room though!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have been to this hotel at least 7 times as I tend to visit Bradford for business at least three times a year. I have always found the staff to be very friendly. As for the room, this time I have been very luck. I was given room 139, a spacious room with two kings size beds and a two seater sofa in all! The bathroom had a massive shower which was brilliant and a lovely bath too, all for £90.There have been other times, however, when I was not so lucky and the room was either noisy and dated, or once it had even been slept in and left in a mess!

Another thing that I like about his hotel is the breakfast buffet as I don't do cooked breakfasts. The quality of the fruit is always very good, as are the pastries etc..

So, all in all, I would recommend this hotel and, if the room assigned is not to your satisfaction, make sure you tell them as they seem to be eager to please.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from Manor Rd and ask for one with a decent bathroom!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank girafinha
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear girafinha,
Thank you for taking the time to most this review, for which I am very grateful. I appreciate your honest review following your several recent visits to the hotel, which I am sure will benefit future potential guests to the hotel.

The hotel has had a programme of developing the bedroom stock, and public areas since Peel Hotels have owned the hotel and this has continued throughout the recession. I am pleased that you find the bedrooms, and in particular 139 to your liking. However it seems on one occasion you were allocated a room that should not have been, which concerns me and I will look into this with the Housekeeper.

Thank you for your comments regarding the hotel’s buffet breakfast, which strive to improve constantly in regards to quality, content and presentation.

In conclusion thank you once again for posting your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Gary Peacock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Polish first
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Just stayed at this hotel with hubby and what a lovely olde worlde hotel it is. Beautifully decorated, very plush surroundings, huge staircases, log fire etc. Nice bar area. Rooms very spacious. Location very central. But the best bit about the hotel is how lovely all the staff were. The gentleman on reception was great. So genuinely friendly, extremely helpful and very welcoming. The young lady in the restaurant was very helpful and chatty. The young lad in the bar couldn't have been more amenable, down to earth and a pleasure to chat to. All in all, this hotel is wonderful and we had a most pleasant overnight stay. My only criticism was that unfortunately, there were a couple of 'parties' being held in the hotel and the music was quite loud, and went on till 1-.30am. However I hasten to add that this did not spoil our stay by any means.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank elainematty
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear welltravelled800
Thank you so much for having taken the time and trouble to have written your review, I am very grateful. It is very pleasing to get such positive customer feedback as we strive to improve client satisfaction in service delivery and overall hotel standards. You seem to have summed up the qualities I believe we have in a very succinct way and I would like to thank you. I would of course like to offer my apologies for the music keeping you awake and I am grateful for your understanding.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel at some future date as I would look forward to being of service to you once again.

In the meantime thank you once again, you are very kind.

Kind Regards

Lytham St. Annes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have stayed several times over the years and attended a superb wedding reception here some 14 years ago. It is now part of Peel Hotels and has gone through a magnificent renovation. The service and food is great, the staff friendly and accommodating. And the building itself is very impressive. If you're in Bradford and looking for somewhere to stay then The Midland is the perfect choice.

Room Tip: The new 4 Poster rooms are perfect for that special event
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Wilson S
Thank you so much for your delightful review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Staff members are thrilled to receive such glowing feedback and I believe it rewards their efforts in our collective desire to increase levels of customer care, and their dedicated professionalism.

It is really pleasing when a guest takes the time and trouble to write their true thoughts and I would like to thank you for a most favourable review.

It would be a pleasure for me to welcome you back to the hotel, and to be of service to you in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards

Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of nights and ended early and booked elsewhere for my last night.
The Reception and welcome is superb as is the entrance and appearance.
However this is where the experience then faulters.

Breakfast Day 1- Table service- Waited for initial order, gave beverage order, then waited for food order, but realised no milk provided for tea, eventually had to accost a member of the waiting team (when one appeared) and eventually got my milk, also asked for toast at the same time. Got breakfast (which was very disappointing and not HOT) got toast and watched as the few other customers tried in vain to get the waiting staff attention for one table to then advise that one of their huge party of 5 had not had their breakfast served.....
Breakfast Day 2- DIfferent set up, help yourself buffet, asked for Tea and toast and was then directed to the Heated trays to get what I wished........nothing was hot, in fact if I had a food thermometer............

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Dave D
Dear Dave D
Thank you most sincerely for posting your review; your comments have been gratefully received as a way of helping me to drive up our standards of service and guests satisfaction. I would like to apologise to you for the clear deficiencies in service standards, which seemed to have happened over both days at Breakfast. I regret that I was not made aware of these deficiencies during your stay through the Duty Manager, as I would have personally intervened. I am sorry that you took the decision to leave without staying the 3rd night, but I completely understand and appreciate your reasoning.

As you probably have seen from previous reviews we have had a history of good comments and reviews regarding Breakfast quality and service, and I am sincerely sorry that during your stay we did not meet our previously high standards.

I can assure you that I have investigated the issues that you have raised with the Head Chef and Food Services Manager and changes have been made to ensure that there is no re-occurrence of the standards that you experienced, and that I will not accept.

Please accept my apologies and reassurance that wherever possible we always strive to make every customers visit to the hotel as enjoyable as possible, whether that be for leisure or business use.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at the Midland in Bradford on Friday 9th November 2012. It was raining as I left Forster square station to look for the hotel and I was so pleased that it is only two minutes walk away. As I walked through the door I expected to see Michael Portillo sitting in the grand lobby with his Bradshaw's guide. The staff were so welcoming and friendly and I was soon in my room on the first floor. The Victorian grandeur of this hotel is the greatest attraction. You feel privileged to be walking up such a staircase. The room was spacious and airy with a wonderful bathroom and a great shower. All the details were thought of, including an ironing board and iron and tea and biscuits. The bed was comfortable and the sleep was long. A really good nights stay. Next morning the breakfast was excellent with so much choice. Again the staff were friendly and helpful. On this Saturday morning I had to leave unexpectedly due to a call on my mobile. The staff member on duty was very helpful and genuinely concerned about my having to leave quickly and even offered to post on my receipt. A very good stay Midland, thank you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank XLaurence
Dear Michael A
Firstly may I say what a pleasure it was to read your review, and I am very grateful for the exceptionally kind comments that you wrote. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your overnight stay with us earlier in the month. I am particularly pleased to hear that the staff member at Reception was concerned regarding you hastened departure and offered to forward on your receipt.

The Staff and Management take great pride in striving to offer the best of service to our guests. It is very rewarding for us all when our customers give us such positive feedback and it reinforces our beliefs in the journey that we are on; that is to be recognised as one of the best hotels in the region.

I am truly grateful that you chose to say at the hotel and that you took the time and trouble to write your review and I must say what a pleasure it was for us all to be of service to you.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Warmest Regards

Newcastle upon Tyne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I travel a lot for work and usually end up staying in 'corporate' hotels, however on this occasion I decided to try this wonderful 'traditional' hotel in the heart of Bradford which had been recommended by a colleague who had stayed before and I most certainly wasn't disappointed. From the welcome as I checked in - including the very much appreciated glass of wine to the excellent breakfast offering such a huge variety of options - far better than the faceless corporate chains.
My room - a standard room I believe, was more than adequate for the two nights I was there. With a very comfortable bed and large bathroom with good quality toiletries.
One problem I had with my swipe key was quickly sorted out by a lovely receptionist, unfortunately I did not make a note of her name.
I will certainly make this my hotel of choice when I am next in Bradford and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank fmgNewcastleuponTyne
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear fmgNewcastleuponTyne,
Thank you most sincerely for your very generous appraisal of the hotel following your recent stay.
I appreciate your overview of the hotel and its facilities, particularly the comparison to our modern day ‘corporate’ hotels, we feel very proud and privileged to have such history and tradition in our hotel and throughout the company customer service ethos.

I will pass on your very kind comments to all the staff, who continuously strive for excellence, and they appreciate the recognition of their commitment to the hotel.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel at some future date, but in the meantime thank you very much for your review.

WOrthing
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

My lasting memory is the grand staircase that must be 5 meters wide, i could imagine my daughter running down those stairs on Christmas day...

Its a nice hotel with average food and drinks. Rooms are a good size and do the job.

Very nice price at 60 pounds

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Tonykatka
Dear Tonykatka,
Thank you for having taken the time in posting your review of the hotel, following your recent visit. I am very pleased that your enjoyed your experience and have lasting memories of our wonderful staircase.

Thank you very much and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel someday soon.

Warm regards