Midland Hotel
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Hi
We have just returned from a 1 night stay at the Midland Hotel as a birthday treat from my wife to me, It was our 3rd visit to this hotel & as on previous visits upgraded to a 4 poster suite ( room 243 )
The hotel oozes Victorian splendour from the moment you arrive. The reception/check in was exceptionaly smooth & a genuine Yorkshire welcome too. Our room came with a fridge,free wi-fi,free Sky tv etc etc etc. The bedroom was very large in true victorian style & the bathroom was ultra modern - just as we like it.
Breakfast this morning was excellent with a fantastic array of cooked & cold buffet to choose from The staff are unbelievably polite & in our opinion second to non - We have reguarly stayed in 5 star hotels around the world which do not match the opulance of the Midland.
We are looking at booking again, This time for the New Years eve garla dinner ( Black Tie event )
Regards
Steve & San

Room Tip: it has to be 4 poster suite they are FAB
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Steve & San
Thank you so much for your delightful review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly as it was for the celebration of your Birthday. Staff members are thrilled to receive such glowing feedback and I believe it rewards their efforts in our collective desire to increase levels of customer care, and their dedicated professionalism. I appreciate the detail you have given in recognition of our service and facilities particularly in the Four Poster Room.

It is really pleasing when a guest takes the time and trouble to write their true thoughts and I would like to thank you for a most favourable review.

It will be a pleasure for me to welcome you back to the hotel, and to be of service to you over the New Year Period. I am certain that you will thoroughly enjoy the Gala Dinner and Entertainment we have this year.

Kind Regards

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I had my wedding at the Midland hotel on 26th August and everything was perfect. We had over 40 people stay at the hotel and no one could fault the service we got and the hotel itself. Thenweddingnwent withut any problems and the managers, especially Denise Nelson-Gale, were all exceptional. The hotel itself is the most beautiful old hotel and the ballroom is perfect for a wedding reception. Every request was accommodated with no issues. I can not speak highly en ugh about this hotel and it's staff. Thank you all so much.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Nick W
I would like to take this opportunity in thanking you most sincerely for the very mind comments that you have made within your review of the hotel following your Wedding in August. Thank you most sincerely for affording the hotel the opportunity to host and for us all to share with you, your wife and your families, your Wedding day.

It is very rewarding for us all when our customers give us such positive feedback and it reinforces our beliefs in the journey that we are on; that is to be recognised as one of the best hotels in the region. I believe that the ethos around first class service starts with staff members who care about the clients they serve and the hotel they work in and I am thankful that I have excellent caring staff. Rest assured that I will thank Denise Nelson-Gale personally; she really cares and is excellent at her role, and also the other staff on duty throughout your stay.

I am truly grateful that you chose the Midland Hotel initially for your Wedding day and have subsequently taken the time to write your review. I feel that I must add what a pleasure it is for us all to have been of service to you and your wife

I hope it’s not long before we can welcome you back to the Midland Hotel.

Warm Regards

Reviewed September 9, 2012

From checking-in to leaving the staff were very attentive to us and our two dogs. The reception staff immediately arranged for us to change rooms when we complained about the volume of the band playing at a wedding reception in the function room. The hotel is very impressive, a grand old Victorian station hotel with wide hallways, wrought iron everywhere and ornate ceilings and panels. The furnishings aren't always in keeping with the grandeur but no doubt they're practical. As we had dogs with us we were glad the hotel wasn't all pastel colours! We didn't have dinner at the hotel but the breakfast was very good with lots of fresh fruit and a full vegetarian option. Ask to read the booklet on Sir Henry Irving, the Victorian actor who died there, it's very interesting!

Room Tip: Ask for a bedroom well away from the noise of the function room if there's a function taking pla...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Buteo
I am responding to your very generous comments made in the review you posted following your recent stay at the Midland Hotel, thank you very much indeed. It gives my team great satisfaction receiving positive feedback from our guests following a memorable stay, and the time and trouble you have taken in posting this review is very much appreciated.

I am delighted that you were looked after by the Reception team who reallocated you a different room, and please accept my apologies for the oversight of giving you a room above the Function. I am also pleased that you enjoyed reading through our information books on Sir Henry Irving.....a true Star of the early late 19th and 20th Century!

Hopefully we can look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel once again very soon. In the
meantime thank you once again.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

I visited the Midland Hotel on business and stayed for one night in a standard double room. The hotel building itself is beautiful inside and out and very impressive. My check-in experience was great, very friendly staff who made me feel welcome and nice little touches like offering a glass of wine. My room was small but comfortable enough, the decor wasn't totally to my taste but it was clean and reasonably well maintained. The breakfast was very nice. I will definitely return as I felt it had a more personal touch and a lot more character than some of the other city centre hotels in Bradford.

Room Tip: Suspect that the executive rooms are worth paying a little more for but haven't had a chance to...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear Rob_M_UK,
Thank you very much indeed for your review following your recent one night stay.

I appreciate your very kind comments regarding the hotel, and particularly the friendliness of the staff, the welcome you received on check in, and the quality of the breakfast. In regards to the decor in the bedroom; as I’m sure you noticed the company is constantly upgrading areas of the hotel on our journey to make the Midland Hotel one of the regions finest, and we are continually upgrading our bedroom stock. It is indeed a beautiful old hotel that has suffered periods of neglect, but we are now well on the way to bringing back superior standards of hotel keeping to the city of Bradford.

I hope to be of service to you once again soon, but in the meantime thank you once again.

Kind Regards

Reviewed August 26, 2012

In my opinion to warrant 4+5's out of 5 a hotel has to deliver over and above what you'd expect to be provided for your money. After all you are paying for a service and therefore shouldn't be overly grateful when you get it. Therefore, I conclude that the reviews for this hotel are little on the generous side.

I suspect the executiive rooms, recently refurbished as I understand, would give a better representation of the good side to this hotel. However, we weren't able to book an executive room as the "smoking" rooms are all standard. Our room was basic. Not completely clean with the floorboards collapsed in one section (room 217 if maintenance are reading this). Whilst not shabby the room was a long way from being anything other than average. I do however feel that the price was acceptable.

The restaurant was also okay, nothing more. A limited menu, but probably just enough for most tastes. We were the only 2 people in the restaurant on Saturday night which didn't lend to the atmosphere, but I understand that the hotel was hosting a huge wedding and that's where all the activity was.

On a positive, the staff were without exception pleasant and efficient. The hotel also benfits from a good position if not a good view - from our room anyway. So, I would recommend this as a serviceable hotel and that's about it. Probably worth the upgrade to executive to get a better aspect.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cliff36
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Cliff36,
Thank you for your honest appraisal following your stay at the Midland Hotel.
I feel that your review is honest from your perspective from your own experience, and for that I am grateful. Clearly in order to have received a better review and score from yourself we should have afforded you a better quality service and experience and for this I apologise and also regret not having done so. I constantly review our guest comments and strive to improve standards wherever I can to make the guest experience better.

However as reviews as subjective I feel that your questioning of other guests reviews is quite unfair as they have posted reviews following their own personal experience of the hotel. To suggest that your opinion is superior to previous reviewers, in my opinion, is a little condescending.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed two nights in the Midland Hotel Bradford. The entrance foyer to the Hotel is magnificent and one is aware of the History of the Building and its associations with the Railway in the past glory days. The staff were all extremely helpful, the room was a good size and the bathroom was modern and included a spa bath. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order and served by staff who were charming and accomodating. I did however feel that the room on the second floor was scuffed in places and I was disappointed that upon opening the window, the condidtion of the sash window was poor and there was a considerable amount of dust and dirt around the windows and window sills. On the whole though this was a most agreeable stay in a charming building.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank RHBCumbria

Dear RHBCumbria,
Thank you for the review that you posted following your stay with us recently. I am grateful for your honest views regarding the hotels facilities, food and service standards. I appreciate your comments regarding the room on the second floor, and I will have Housekeeping look at the dust issue around the windows. In relation to the sash windows, they will be factored into our on-going refurbishment programme on the second floor. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your recent stay and experience of the Midland Hotel and

I look forward to being of service to you soon.

Many Thanks

Reviewed August 20, 2012

This Hotel is a splendid Victorian building built without compromise. It is truly beautiful. There are not many faults but I would say the decor which is beautiful downstairs is badly battered in parts of the corridors. My room was well equipped but again the view into the rather tatty court yard could be improved. The food was a good standard. It needs a little TLC but is a very good place to stay in Bradford

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear MDJ63,
Thank you for your most honest appraisal of the hotel following your recent stay. I appreciate your comments regarding the decor and as I’m sure you noticed the company is constantly upgrading areas of the hotel on our journey to make the Midland Hotel one of the regions finest.