“very hot hotel - overrated”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Midland Hotel

Midland Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“very hot hotel - overrated”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I stayed here on business for 3 nights. The room allocated had a lovely bathroom. However the room itself was very dark - I needed to have the light on all the time to be able to read, even when the sun was shining brightly outside. The window would not stay open and the blinds were not working properly. Whilst the hotel did look into this, they were unable to repair them. No alternative room or recompense was offered. This hotel does not have air conditioning and the room was incredibly stuffy and hot - I had to wedge the window open. The staff were friendly but the breakfast service was very slow. These factors plus the lack of on site gym (the gym is a 10 minute walk away) are making me seriously reconsider whether I stay here again as planned over the next month.

3 Thank Maggie H
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Dear Devonvillamaid,

Thank you most sincerely for your review I am very grateful to you as your comments are very useful in improving standards and facilities for future guests. I am sorry that on this occasion the room you were allocated had maintenance defects and was hot due to the problem with the window. I have asked the hotel maintenance engineer to look at the external bedroom windows and report back to me. I am very sorry that you were not offered alternative accommodation, as situation that is not acceptable to me and I have taken up this issue with the Management on Duty during your stay.

I appreciate the fact that you recently stayed with us once more, and your letter is gratefully received and I have written back to you, offering my most sincere thanks.

It is only with constant review following guest feedback that we can improve our performance and I have gained a considerable amount of positive from your review, for which I thank you.

I look forward to being of service to you again very soon.

Warmest Regards

Gary Peacock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
London, England
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I stayed here on business for 3 nights. Nice room in general. Well decorated, comfortable bed, a fridge (which is always a bonus) and the bathroom was spot on - nice big bath to relax in! A couple of packs of nice biscuits thrown in always gets a thumbs up from me as well :)

Shame that the top of the kettle was filthy for the whole stay - some grubbiness that couldn't be avoided in order to open the lid. Refills were a bit of a hit & miss affair in this area though, as was the refilling of toiletries.

My biggest complaint about the room was the temperature. I appreciate that this is subjective, but my colleagues complained of the same. Even with a room on the outside of the hotel and the windows in both the bathroom and the bedroom open, it was stuffy, airless hot.

Breakfast service is not good. I'm prepared to wait for the food to be cooked as long as it is done right. On one of the days it took 25 minutes for my breakfast to arrive and the sausages were only half cooked. As I was now late for work, I had to leave most of it anyway.

On all three mornings, I had to attract the attention of the staff after 8 - 9 minutes waiting for them to notice me. Whilst waiting for the food to be cooked is an acceptable delay, further delay caused by staff who do not display diligence to their surroundings is not.

It's a shame that despite advertising the football, the hotel bar chooses to shut late afternoon / early evening if there aren't enough customers. When asked how many customers was enough, they said 5 - 10. So myself and my colleagues went elsewhere.

The glass of wine upon check-in is a nice touch if you like alcohol. It would be fantastic to see a non-alcoholic offering - a coffee or a juice or something.

I've read the responses posted by the hotel to other critics saying that they would have liked to have had the opportunity to put things right there and then. I don't know about you, but me personally, I don't like complaining - it doesn't make me feel good. I don't see why I should have to make myself feel bad in order to get them to do what I am paying them over £75 a night to do - provide a clean room and a well cooked, timely breakfast served by efficient staff. That's the basic purpose of a hotel - if they are failing in that area and can't see it for themselves, I really don't think my complaint is going to help them change overnight.

I will be staying there for a few more weeks before I have to decide whether to move somewhere else or not, so I'll see how next week goes and review again.

Room Tip: If there are any functions on - weddings and the like, get a room away from the function room - ther...
1 Thank Stevie_Ramone
Dear Stevie_Ramone
Thank you for the time and trouble that you put in to write your review which has been most in formative. A genuine critique by our clients is very valuable to me in striving to improve constantly our standards of service, cleanliness and overall performance at the hotel.
I would also like to thank you for the time you afforded me recently when we discussed your review. I am grateful for your understanding and your continued loyalty to the hotel and I hope to be of service to you throughout the next few weeks whilst you are on business in the area.
I will continue to drive standards up at the hotel for the benefit of all our clients and I am particularly grateful to you and your colleagues for your honesty.

Best Regards
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Room key failed to work on two occasions breakfast was given to somebody else.
Noisy - 4 hours sleep!!
Banner proudly displayed outside the hotel stating “watch Euro finals here” – yet bar shut at 7, to get 4.5* you gotta earn them in my book.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank bluesplottboy
Dear Bluesplottboy,
Thank you most sincerely for posting your review; your comments have been gratefully received as a way of helping me to drive up our standards of service and guests satisfaction. I would like to apologise to you for the clear deficiencies in service standards, which I hope were promptly resolved by the staff when brought to their attention.

In regards to the Bar being closed, unfortunately the Midweek game this week attracted no interest at all by 7.00pm so a decision was made to just keep one of our bars open rather than the two. As I am sure that you would appreciate in these tough times it doesn’t make economic sense to keep two bars open when there are no customers in either.

I am very sorry that you did not get a good night’s sleep, and your comments upon check out to my Receptionist are very useful and we will ensure allocation of a different room for your next visit.
In conclusion I hope that you will see a difference during your next visit to the hotel, as I’m sure you will see form the comments from a lot of other guests; we do care about our customers and will strive to ensure that their stay with us is enjoyable.
Thank you once again and I look welcoming you back to the hotel once again very soon

Kind Regards

Lee, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Denise and her team at the Midland Hotel looked after our charity event form the first phone call to making sure we were all happy on the day AMAZINGLY!!! She was always there to guide us through our event, with fantastic ideas and gave us great support all along the way. Denise really enthuses with you and really cares about your event, we can't thank her enough for being OUTSTANDING!
Gaz, Dan and Raj and all their team at the Midland Hotel made all our guests feel special. Nothing was too much trouble and everyone had a fantastic evening because of that. From the moment we arrived Gaz introduced himself and want a gentleman the whole day through. We will be definitely booking with the Midland Hotel for 2013 and if anyone out there needs a venue that looks beautiful and wants a team that really care then look no further than the Midland Hotel Bradford. Thanks again for everything. Shane x

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Shane H,
Shane, I just wanted to say a big personal thank you to you for your very generous comments regarding last weekend’s event for Friends of St Josephs. I am delighted that you and your colleagues found Denise, Gaz, Dan and Raj and all other staff to be so helpful in making your event such a success. I have taken time out to thank each and every one of them personally including of course the Head Chef.

It makes things extra special when we are aware that you’ve raised so much money for your worthy cause.

Thank you very much indeed once again and I look forward to being of service to you again next year.

Best Regards

Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The Midland Hotel is a very impressive hotel.
On arrival at reception we were warmly greeted and given a glass of wine. Our room number 319 was an executive room with two double beds. We choose the romantic package which included dinner and champagne on one night. We also extended our stay by one night on a bed and breakfast basis.
The staff were very helpful and professional and went out of their way to help.
The hotel being situated in the centre of Bradofrd was handy for visting nearby resturants and shops. The hotel car park was ample enough but as the hotel was quiet may not be large enough at busy times.
This break was to celebrate a speacial birthday and the the hotel came up to all expectaions for which I would like to thank all the staff for making it so.
I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: Go for an executive room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Thank you so much for your delightful review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly as it was for the celebration of your Birthday. Staff members are thrilled to receive such glowing feedback and I believe it rewards their efforts in our collective desire to increase levels of customer care, and their dedicated professionalism.

It is really pleasing when a guest takes the time and trouble to write their true thoughts and I would like to thank you for a most favourable review.

It would be a pleasure for me to welcome you back to the hotel, and to be of service to you in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards

keighley
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I regularly visit this hotel as my employers hold functions there. The place has a lovely, grand atmosphere and feels really warm and cosy. The staff are so courteous and although I have only ever sampled buffet lunches, they have been excellent in every respect. I enjoy every visit. 10/10.

Dear Sunshinekeighley.

Thank you most sincerely for your kind comments regarding the staff and the food at the hotel. I am very grateful to you for having taken the time and trouble to write your review, and as you are obviously local to us here in Bradford it will be a pleasure to welcome you once again very soon.

With grateful thanks and best regards

Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I moved to this hotel having left the Hollins Hall Hotel due to poor service and amenities. From first contact with the Midland to the time I left after my two week stay I was continually impressed at the outstanding service I received from EVERY member of staff.

Nothing was too much trouble and if I needed anything, I only needed to ask and it was produced for me immediately. At one point, I lost my (free) wifi connection in my room and I was immediately upgraded to an executive suite without even needing to request a move.

All staff here are solution oriented, friendly and helpful and, as a woman travelling alone, I felt totally looked after and cared about. I would definitely stay here again and quite honestly, am sad to be leaving.

Room Tip: Rooms on lower floors can be noisy on weekends, especially during a wedding or other function.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Theitodds,
Firstly may I say what a pleasure it was to make your acquaintance when you checked out of the hotel, and I am very grateful for the exceptionally kind comments that you wrote within your review.
The Staff and Management take great pride in striving to offer the best of service to our guests. It is very rewarding for us all when our customers give us such positive feedback and it reinforces our beliefs in the journey that we are on; that is to be recognised as one of the best hotels in the region.
I am truly grateful that you chose to say at the hotel and that you took the time and trouble to write your review and I must say what a pleasure it was for us all to be of service to you.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Warmest Regards